They're putting USB ports on everything these days - Squier announces USB Strat

Phil O'Keefe

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeLazarus

View Post

i'd hit it. but only if it can do midi. but i'm too lazy to read all specs to see if it can.

I would suspect not - not without some sort of software pitch to MIDI conversion, and I imagine that even if someone developed such an app, it would be mono only.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by macadood

View Post

...but for like $20 you can buy a faux iRig and BOOM youre just as connected to your iphone/ipad...

Except that I have one of those and it's actually totally {censored} - noisy, terrible digital ticking noises, and horrible feedback with the gain beyond moderate amounts. Wish I'd got something more expensive and less {censored}.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus

View Post

Except that I have one of those and it's actually totally {censored} - noisy, terrible digital ticking noises, and horrible feedback with the gain beyond moderate amounts. Wish I'd got something more expensive and less {censored}.

mine's fine idn_smilie.gif not a single one of those problems. there's no reason it should be noisy or digital or feedbacky...mine's a direct iRig clone, even says iRig on it icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrentMpls

View Post

If you can repair a 1/4" instrument cable you can repair a USB.

agreed. its pretty much teh same concept, just a jack with however many pins you gotta replace in place of the broken one. sure probably more annoying than just a 1/4'' jack but still easily doable. and i doubt you could really break the jack part too easily, maybe snap off the male usb part inside the female jack in the guitar, but then its just a matter of pulling it out.

Notebook-USB2-0-font-b-Female-b-font-fon

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

I would suspect not - not without some sort of software pitch to MIDI conversion, and I imagine that even if someone developed such an app, it would be mono only.

What is it with people's fascination of something doing MIDI anyways? I can't think of a single reason why I would want a guitar that is capable of that.

Not to mention that MIDI is really becoming obsolete anyways, and I suspect OSC will be the new normal within the next few years.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrentMpls

View Post

If you can repair a 1/4" instrument cable you can repair a USB.

Well, the problem is that 99 times out of 100, USB jacks are soldered directly on a PCB due to high-speed constraints. Banging the guitar around (with the whole weight of the guitar behind the force) with a USB jack plugged in will put immense strain on the PCB itself, probably eventually cracking it and/or lifting traces. It wouldn't just be a broken USB jack you'd have to deal with, but a broken PCB, and possibly lifting/cracking the BGA/SMD devices that would inevitably be mounted as close as possible to the jack as well. It gets out of the realm of DIY servicing quite rapidly, unless you're lucky.

Plugging a USB jack right into the gutiar instead of designing a quality 1/4-USB box attached to the iPad tells me they just want to sell a whole guitar. A 1/4-USB box probably isn't profitable or marketable enough, and certainly isn't as flashy as a whole guitar.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by hotmess

View Post

What is it with people's fascination of something doing MIDI anyways? I can't think of a single reason why I would want a guitar that is capable of that.

Not to mention that MIDI is really becoming obsolete anyways, and I suspect OSC will be the new normal within the next few years.

/agree; +1; what he said

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tape

View Post

Well, the problem is that 99 times out of 100, USB jacks are soldered directly on a PCB due to high-speed constraints. Banging the guitar around (with the whole weight of the guitar behind the force) with a USB jack plugged in will put immense strain on the PCB itself, probably eventually cracking it and/or lifting traces. It wouldn't just be a broken USB jack you'd have to deal with, but a broken PCB, and possibly lifting/cracking the BGA/SMD devices that would inevitably be mounted as close as possible to the jack as well. It gets out of the realm of DIY servicing quite rapidly, unless you're lucky.

Yup, USB cable design is more fragile than 1/4" instrument cable. But it looks like it still says the 1/4 connector, and the USB would be used for recording, or I suppose, live performance if you wanted to run through a computer/iDevice live, and in which case thrashing around would run such a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by tape

View Post

Plugging a USB jack right into the gutiar instead of designing a quality 1/4-USB box attached to the iPad tells me they just want to sell a whole guitar. A 1/4-USB box probably isn't profitable or marketable enough, and certainly isn't as flashy as a whole guitar.

Well it looks like the same company that makes the 1/4-USB box is advertised in the link, and that option has been available for a while now.

Having both seems like a handy option ~shrug~ The problem of course being this isn't standard on every guitar, and you would have to purchase THIS guitar (right now anyway) to have that connivence and avoid having to carry around a 1/4-USB box.

Archived