sort of off topic: flying with guitar pedals

orangesix

• Members

Got stuck once in Heathrow Airport, London, with a couple of pedals on my hand luggage, the moment the guy at the x-ray told me "please sir, step aside and follow me" I knew it meant trouble! Had to undo my bag and lose several minutes, but gladly I still had their invoices (had bought them in London) and it helped clearing the situation. I don

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've carried my pedals onto planes all over the world countless times and never had any real issues.
I've had to kind of explain them to people who have no idea what they are.
"That makes the guitar sound like, 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz'."
"That makes it sound like it's in a canyon."
The real fun is when the security agents couldn't speak English.
You'll be fine carrying them on.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by orangesix

View Post

I'm flying soon and was planning on just sticking a few pedals in my luggage rather than bringing a pedalboard. But for some reason I feel like it would set off some red flags when they run it through x-ray. Anyone done this recently?

I've never had anyone stop me when running my pedal bag through the x-ray machine. redface.gif

• Members

I fly to Washington for work pretty regularly, and I have a buddy there that also plays guitar. He has a full rig for me to use, but its fun to bring a board of new pedals for him to check out, so I always pack a pedalboard case as my personal carry-on. I always get stopped too. Usually they just ask what it is, and wipe down a couple pedals for a gunpowder residue check. Like hc, I just explain this one makes the sound go "reeeeooowwwwreeeeooow" and that one goes "grrrrrr". They'll think you're a nutjob and send you on your way.

Archived