ATTN: Pbone - How are you liking the Morpho X4?

Aristotle

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
pBizzle, nice track. I detect trace amounts of Phoenix, and Bloc Party... and some Twin Shadow. Really like that poly portamento... I'd gave me 3.5 boners.
Haha that's pretty much all that I have been listening to for the past 4 years. Thanks so much for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Nice job on the recording pbone. I've been interested in the Mopho keyboard for quite a while now - which is apparently similar to what you have, but monophonic. Then I saw the X4, which is obviously "more better", but I'm still kind of interested in the other one - simply because it kind of reminds me of my old Pro One - the one keyboard I most regret selling.
thanks Phil!!! Yeah dude the keyboard version is way better than the desktop module.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by pbone View Post
Haha that's pretty much all that I have been listening to for the past 4 years. Thanks so much for listening.
We're not so different, you and I.

One think I like about the keyboard Mopho having one-knob-per-control. You lose that with the module. That makes mucking around more intuitive/fun.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sad Darwin View Post
"Influences" / "it sounds like" talk makes my stomach a special kind of queasy.

So do album reviews. Go figure.
All new art is previous art, reconfigured. We like new things because they are simultaneously familiar and unfamiliar. There's no conceivable harm in pointing out something's lineage. Get off your high horse.

• Members
All new art is previous art, reconfigured. We like new things because they are simultaneously familiar and unfamiliar. There's no conceivable harm in pointing out something's lineage. Get off your high horse.
To me the point of art is to take that mishmash of stuff you liked and form a semblance of a language that's actually you. But talking about what 5 second part of this track or that sound like this or that is just pointless. Music review sites have made a small industry out of holding up score cards at the special olympics, and have become the new taste dictators in the process. It seems to be everyone's first reaction, as if they're audio wine tasting. Meh, I guess that's what the internet is for.

I just liked his song. I didn't feel I was or am on a high horse. I don't see the need for the knee jerk "it's alot like this" reaction though. I was pleasantly surprised that he made something listenable/enjoyable, that's all idn_smilie.gif

• Members
To me the point of art is to take that mishmash of stuff you liked and form a semblance of a language that's actually you.
Agreed.

Music review sites have made a small industry out of holding up score cards at the special olympics, and have become the new taste dictators in the process.
No one is doing that here though; but I agree, I'm not sure to what extent art should ever be a competition (though, competition is almost always a subconscious motivator).

But this...

But talking about what 5 second part of this track or that sound like this or that is just pointless.
...and this...

I didn't feel I was or am on a high horse. I don't see the need for the knee jerk "it's alot like this" reaction though.
It's fine if you don't personally benefit from people talking about influences, but as a musician, I would at least hope you'd understand the point or benefit of doing so... especially on a discussion forum.

Knowing where things have come from can help someone understand how they got here, and might guide them in the future. I'm not seeing the sense in having a negative attitude toward observation and analysis.

Yeah, giving someone some vague encouragement has a place... so does actually talking about the art in a more mindful way.

I apologize if I misjudged your tone as being condescending.

• Members
Agreed.

No one is doing that here though; but I agree, I'm not sure to what extent art should ever be a competition (though, competition is almost always a subconscious motivator).

But this...

...and this...

It's fine if you don't personally benefit from people talking about influences, but as a musician, I would at least hope you'd understand the point or benefit of doing so... especially on a discussion forum.

Knowing where things have come from can help someone understand how they got here, and might guide them in the future. I'm not seeing the sense in having a negative attitude toward observation and analysis.

Yeah, giving someone some vague encouragement has a place... so does actually talking about the art in a more mindful way.

I apologize if I misjudged your tone as being condescending.
Fair enough. And, looking back at what I posted, I did jump from A to C sans B in a rather non sequitur manner. I'll stop creating static in a thread that has little to do with what I'm blabbing on about.

Good track though. And {censored}ING AWESOME synth...... still so much GAS frown.gif

Archived