General Question About Original and Reissued Versions of Pedals (NPD)

Aristotle

• Members
DIWFg.jpg

A week back I found one of these for a decent price and picked it up as I always loved the '76 reissue, except for one small thing: it added some obvious top end. I found this post, by member Vanguard, over at TGP that made me reconsider the Dyna Comp, only this time the vintage version.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...45&postcount=6
Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard

i had the '76 RI for a few months, and thought a whole score of pedals do the script sound better than it did. the RI boosted the highs a lot, and scooped out some mids and lows. i hated that. i have a real 1976 script dyna comp, and have owned one other in the past. neither of them do this.

so as for comps that get the script sound (the REAL script sound), the analogman ross clone is pretty close. it's smoother and less distorted. the old boss cs-2 also sounds damn good; maybe better than the analogman.

but the closest i've heard by far, and i know this is odd as it's an optical comp, is the maxon cp101. it sounds virtually indistinguishable fom my real 76.

basically, turns out handwired harnesses with the original IC's does not a a faithful sonic clone make.

-a disappointed '76 RI previous owner.
After a week with my 70s script DC, I agree 100% with Vangaurd's assessment. Everything I disliked about the '76ri isn't found in the original. Below 10 o'clock, this thing can't be beat. I'm not too into the higher sensitivity settings, but those lower sounds are absolute classic. Sounds great with the LP or Tele, but the hotter LP pickups trigger more compression and so I can barely get any boost with the volume cranked. No matter, with the telecaster it still gives a health amount of boost and at least I don't *lose* volume with the LP.

I'm not sure why this stark difference exists between the Script reissue and the original, but it made me wonder what other pedals might be like this.

So I bring it to you, an effects community, that wants to talk about effects and not BOTB:

What are some other reissues pedals that you've found don't stack up to the original?

Oh and another thing: These original MXR pedals are HEAVY for their size.

• Members

Actually not a reissue but besides having more volume the ic muff from made by mike sounds pretty spot on to the deluxe big muff i have from the 70s. Sort of the opposite direction of this thread i realize...

• Members

A lot of components were really high quality in the 60s/70s/80s but they are simply not being produced anymore. A lot of it has to do with a move away from individual components into a world of chips, etc... Tubes have been replaced with transistors, etc.... Certain cap values are not readily available anymore and need to be replaced by 2 caps running in parallel. Transistor types that are known for their cool sound characteristics are often unstable or unreliable for their electronic characteristics (germanium transistors). If old classic pedals could be easily replicated a lot of companies would, but often the original parts are simply not readily available anymore and people have to look for some stash of new old stock components (NOS).

• Members

I've had headaches searching the net for old MXR Dynacomp identifications. Bought a block letter one in the 80's used -but it looked beat up & old. Someone said it was from the 70's. Any website for identifying years? Sounds great though -no hiss.

The new Big Muffs definitely sound different than a 76 Muff I've had since...76. Both have good qualities -but the 76 is a tone sucker.

The Memory Boy sounds NOTHING like a 70s Memory Man. Very disappointed.

The nice thing about some reissues -they are using true bypass. Most old pedals are tone suckers disengaged.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by V

View Post

Actually not a reissue but besides having more volume the ic muff from made by mike sounds pretty spot on to the deluxe big muff i have from the 70s. Sort of the opposite direction of this thread i realize...

Nah we can take it both directions. The Whiteface Rat RI sounded just like the original '86 that I had and I think the KTR sounds pretty spot on to the original Centaur.

Archived