Jazzmaster or Baritone Tele?

npfrs

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

How big are your hands? A bari has a longer neck / scale, and chording on one can be tiresome... at least for me. I have small fingers. Still, I love having a bari - it's such a unique sound that you don't hear every day... but I use mine for single note lines and tic tack type stuff far more than for chords and power riffage. If you already have a few other regular guitars, maybe consider getting something that really expands your tonal options. If not, maybe the Jazzmaster would be the better choice. Get a set of 12's or 13's on there and it should be able to handle open D just fine, and it will be a lot easier to stretch out on.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Baritones are really nice, and a lot of fun. I'm sure you'd find yourself writing stuff on it if you had one. That's kind of the trick to them - you can transfer some stuff from guitar, but it's really a different thing. You play a bit differently, and you'd almost certainly write with its strenghts and limitations in mind if you had one. They cover a huge frequency range, which can be darned handy if you're playing in a duo or trio.

I'm not sure if or how much they'd need to be modded in order to set them up for 13's, but 12s shouldn't really be a big problem. I'd expect the nut to need filing, and I wonder about the vibrato and whether or not the string holes in it are big enough for 13s to pass through. If not, they can probably be drilled / reamed out a bit to allow them to fit.

Very nice! cool.gif What are you using for the looper?

Yeah, a having a baritone wouldn't be just having another guitar, it'd be having another instrument, but, arguably, having a JM tuned to open d would also be the same (for my purposes for writing).

As for the tech, I'm pretty sure he never files the nut for any set-ups, mostly just sends it out the door with 9s or 10s, whatever is on the guitar. Lame.

Finally, it's a Boomerang III. I'm using it in serial mode. I now have the Sidecar and also the MIDI sync patch, so I'm experimenting with looping to a percussive loop (like a tambourine or shaker) and my drummer is used to playing to those already so... biggrin.gif

Archived