When the hell did JC-120's get so damn expensive?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe

View Post

dude, buy a vintage one. dont you dare buy a new one!

dis. why the hell would you buy a new one anyways...

nothing is made up to the same quality standards anymore...especially when compared to older japanese made stuff from the 80s...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It seems that the demos of this amp either consist of dudes trying to play Metallica tunes or blooz noodling. What would be some songs or demos which feature the JC-120 prominently?

Edit:

Found this, sounds nice!

• Members

I bought my 1979 JC-120 for a whopping 750.00 euros a couple years ago.However, the 230v models are way less common and all musical gear costs more here in Europe.Its also in near mint condition and the orig silver cone speakers sound awesome.

It was painfull cause I remember buying a JC-120 in California [c 90's] for $175.00.

But its paid for itself many times over by now, and I wouldnt want to play a gig without it. Somebody asked if they take pedals well, my answer: better than all others!

Heres a couple gut shots cause they really were well made back in the day. I would avoid the new ones though, over-priced for being made with all the modern short-cuts.

IMG_3636_zps666dca4c.jpg

IMG_3638_zpsc2d258f4.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reaganomics!

View Post

I dunno. the thread about the 77 came up and I immediately got JC gas for the first time ever after never giving them a second thought. I'm thinking it'd sound cool in stereo with an AC-30 running dirty? How do JC's take dirt pedals?

While some will disagree, I love my Jc-160 with dirt pedals. It has taken me a long time to try out all the different variants of dirt to get to what I really like and can use, but to be honest, most dirt pedals sound fine through it with some tweaking. The ones I really like are Rat variants (I have a Ratified), Jfet based drives (Liquid Sunshine) and Fuzz (I have a Dano CC Fuzz V1, Frantone Peach Fuzz Clone sounds like an Opamp Muff to me; a Pharaoh which really rocks through it and I should be receiving my Scarab Deluxe any day now so I can try a tonebenderesque fuzz and see how that sounds. Those are my standouts. The next group would be the TS and Guv'nor based pedals which sound really good as well. But I have had those for so long, I think I am just tired of them and need to take a break for a while...personally I use an Analogman TS-9 Silver and a Foxrox Zim for TS sounds and I have two original Guv'nors (one Uk, one Korea) and a Riot which gives me the 80's Marshall sound. I'm thinking about getting some kind of Plexi based pedal to try out (any suggestions from JC owners would be appreciated smile.gif

I have read all the hate for the JC (just search on TGP and you will see) many think they are cold and sterile clean and just a pile of {censored} when dirty. Some have even called it the worst amp ever made. But I love their cleans and they have the best Stereo Chorus ever made IMO and I also love trying out pedals so they are the ideal amp for me, especially considering I play in a cover band that really 'covers' a wide range of artists. Honestly, I have always been really surprised that most guitarists that are into pedals do not seem to give the JC the time of day. IMO it is their loss.

Archived