Formula no5 vs Crazy Horse

OMTerria

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You mean a '63/'64 Supereverb/Superbreverb with the 15" speaker..?

Yes, the early version without the "B" in the name. :thu:

I've owned a few Ampegs before, but this is, hands down, the best one. Dropped in my lap for a song.

I've spent years tweaking my own amps. I feel humbled after I bought this. :facepalm:

I could probably sell off half of my amps now.

• Members

Ampeg amps sound so, so good. I kick myself all the time for missing out on a VLA-1002 (not sure if that's the correct model name, but the model was "Very Loud Amp 100W" and it had been sent to the factory before the sale to bring it up to the latest model specifications, basically a fully modded JCM800 clone in the Lee Jackson style - I believe actually fully designed by him, in fact) full stack with English-made Celestion V30s in each cab, $900 for the whole thing. Built-in power soak attenuator, multiple-position semi-parametric midrange adjustment, all kinds of switches on it, sounded AMAZING and would do damned near any rock sound you could ask for. I figured I'd have time. Sat there for a year, I'd have time. By the time I realized I should probably grab it before it was too late, it was, unfortunately, too late. I hope whoever got it loves it, I guess in retrospect it's just as well since with my back there's no way I could lug around a full stack now, but at the time I was shellshocked at my own stupidity for missing that killer deal.

Also a fan of the classic Reverbrocket, though, very unique sounding amp with a whole lotta mojo. And really, really loud. Stadium loud. I got exactly one proper test of the thing before the store owners, family friends for a generation+, started yelling at me. Hey, not my fault the thing insists on being turned up and insists on me wailing on it and insists that I should forsake basic needs to purchase it despite the aforementioned back problem and all notions of fiscal responsibility...

• Members

Yes, the early version without the "B" in the name.
:thu:

I've owned a few Ampegs before, but this is, hands down, the best one. Dropped in my lap for a song.

I've spent years tweaking my own amps. I feel humbled after I bought this.
:facepalm:

I could probably sell off half of my amps now.

Holy balls - you do realize how rare that amp is, right? I've wanted one of those ever since I found out about them. It's basically a mini Gemini II.

My early '65 R-12R Reverberocket actually has a '64 Superbreverb R-15R tube chart inside and an employee crossed out the model number with a pen.

SFTAmpegsandwich.jpg

OLD AMPEGS RULE

• Members

Also a fan of the classic Reverbrocket, though, very unique sounding amp with a whole lotta mojo. And really, really loud. Stadium loud.

I don't think you've played a 'classic' Reverberocket then - they are only 12-18 watts depending on the model year.

• Members

I don't think you've played a 'classic' Reverberocket then - they are only 12-18 watts depending on the model year.

No, definitely haven't ever got my hands on a '60s model. I meant that to distinguish the RR from the "Very Loud Amp" which is wildly different in every way except they have tubes and make loud guitar sounds happen :)

• Members

Holy balls - you do realize how rare that amp is, right? I've wanted one of those ever since I found out about them. It's basically a mini Gemini II.

My early '65 R-12R Reverberocket actually has a '64 Superbreverb R-15R tube chart inside and an employee crossed out the model number with a pen.

SFTAmpegsandwich.jpg

OLD AMPEGS RULE

Yr R12R is an interesting little bastid. One of these days I will make sense out of it... Where the heck is the dry path!?

• Members

SFTAmpegsandwich.jpg

OLD AMPEGS RULE

The R12RB is supposed to be pretty close, circuit-wise. What I like about the R15R is that it's got the old school (mostly) octal preamp with just a tone-knob rather than the Baxandall setup...with reverb and trem.

I was very lucky to get this amp. Somebody virtually gave it to me....in mint condition - only the output tubes had been changed and a bad 3-wire job. One must have blown, because one Ampeg labeled tube was in a box in the back I actually tried some spare tubes, and the ones in there are as good as new! I'm having a friend who does boat canvas make me a cover, so it can stay minty fresh.

ampeg3.JPG

ampeg1.JPG

I've since fixed the cord.

• Members

The R12RB is supposed to be pretty close, circuit-wise. What I like about the R15R is that it's got the old school (mostly) octal preamp with just a tone-knob rather than the Baxandall setup...with reverb and trem.

I was
very
lucky to get this amp. Somebody virtually gave it to me....in mint condition - only the output tubes had been changed and a bad 3-wire job. One must have blown, because one Ampeg labeled tube was in a box in the back I actually tried some spare tubes, and the ones in there are as good as new! I'm having a friend who does boat canvas make me a cover, so it can stay minty fresh.

ampeg3.JPG
ampeg1.JPG

I've since fixed the cord.

You sonofabitch. :love:

Ridiculously awesome amp man, seriously. That's about the rarest Ampeg out there - akin to a '63 Fender Vibroverb.

Ever play an M-12 Mercury? I swear I could own every fucking blue check Ampeg model - they were incapable of making a shitty amp back then. :phil:

• Members

You sonofabitch.
:love:

Ridiculously awesome amp man, seriously. That's about the rarest Ampeg out there - akin to a '63 Fender Vibroverb.

Ever play an M-12 Mercury? I swear I could own every fucking blue check Ampeg model - they were incapable of making a shitty amp back then. :phil:

I know they didn't make them for long, but is it more rare than a Echo Twin, Super or otherwise? It's a ridiculously nice sounding amp, though. Hard to believe that they 'improved' it into the Gemini. Not that those are bad by any stretch, but the Baxandall can be hard to tweak to taste.

I've played a couple of old Rockets and Jets, but none of the "M" amps. I've always dug the early Ampeg guitar sound, but now I need more. I'm even tempted to try to build a clone. I don't think it should be that hard compared to a brown or blackface. Somebody needs to do it.

• Members

I know they didn't make them for long, but is it more rare than a Echo Twin, Super or otherwise? It's a ridiculously nice sounding amp, though. Hard to believe that they 'improved' it into the Gemini. Not that those are bad by any stretch, but the Baxandall can be hard to tweak to taste.

I've played a couple of old Rockets and Jets, but none of the "M" amps. I've always dug the early Ampeg guitar sound, but now I need
more
. I'm even tempted to try to build a clone. I don't think it should be that hard compared to a brown or blackface.
Somebody
needs to do it.

Yep - even more rare than the SET or the Fountain Of Sound amps. Yours is fricking MINT too. You bastid!

The Gem II is another amazing amp - if you can handle that much low end whomp, it's really incredible. Quite possibly the best reverb and tremolo ever in an amp. The one in my pic is Destructobot's - he lent it to me for a summer and I miss the {censored} out of that thing.

The big thing about those blue checks are the cab designs - they move a lot of air for their size. Even the Jets.

I want a fliptop bad - like an SB-12. There really is nothing more cool looking than a blue check fliptop.

• Members

The big thing about those blue checks are the cab designs - they move a lot of air for their size. Even the Jets.

Yep. The Supereverb isn't really big from a front perspective, not much bigger than a tweed Super or Pro- one of the reasons I like it - less bandstand space, but it's a foot deep. The Reverborocket II, for example, though is at least the same size from the front, but much, much thinner.

I think next on my quest is an octal preamp Jet. Perfect grab-and-go size.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I'm looking for something to cop some Neil Young toans and get the old cranked Fender sound. Burgs' demo of the Formula no.5 sounds ridiculously cool when he goes into the Like a Hurricane riff, but I was curious if the Crazy Horse is worth the extra coin for versatility's sake. Essentially, is the Formula no.5 going to be what I want or is moar better in this case?

I just sold my Crazy Horse...It was OK...nothing I couldn't get with about a dozen other fuzzes and nothing I'd really associate with Neil Young's tone with Crazy Horse. It never got dark enough. Kinda bright and aggressive.

• Members

I just sold my Crazy Horse...It was OK...nothing I couldn't get with about a dozen other fuzzes and nothing I'd really associate with Neil Young's tone with Crazy Horse. It never got dark enough. Kinda bright and aggressive.

Interesting. What guitar/amp/speaker?

• Members

Interesting. What guitar/amp/speaker?

Les Paul, 335, Fender Mustang Special, SG.

Fender Bassman PTP Reissue with Alnico Speakers.

Fender Deluxe Reverb '73 modded to BF specs, custom Webber Alnico speaker.

Pair of Mesa TA-30's one set for AC-30 mode with G12H's and one set for Tweed mode with Vintage 30's

Marshall Bluesbreaker combo with Celestion Greenbacks

Valvetech Hayseed 30's with G12H's and Vintage 30's

Modded Fender Blues Jr with Celestion Greenback.

• Members

Quite a selection. If one of those combos isn't doing it for you, then it ain't happenin.

I get my NY on with something fuzzy and loose, a ton of reverb, and attitude. It's close enough. A Bigsby helps, but isn't necessary for people to get the point.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Kap'n wrote:

Yep. The Supereverb isn't really big from a front perspective, not much bigger than a tweed Super or Pro- one of the reasons I like it - less bandstand space, but it's a foot deep. The Reverborocket II, for example, though is at least the same size from the front, but much, much thinner. I think next on my quest is an octal preamp Jet. Perfect grab-and-go size.

Bump of necro post.  I stumbled upon an octal preamp Rocket - like a Jet, but with a tremolo intensity knob,  Even cleaner than the Supereverb.  It cost twice as much, but it was still a steal. :smiley-bounce013:

Archived