\ThE NoiZe LoUnGe///: HeLL, AnarChY, anD, the UnConVenTionaL UsE of EffeKtS

ck3

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Count me in. My major noise tools are DL4, mostly for looping, FM4 with expression pedal, Lexicon Vortex, ebow, Zoom Ultra Fuzz, Tuna Melt, Alesis Bitrman and Faze. One thing I like to do is use the TM for a good background throb, some modulated ebow or ultra fuzz oscillation over that, throw in a few heavy chords or riffs and noise solo to my hearts content. I sometimes run guitar and pedals into a small mixer with the Vortex and Alesis stuff in the effects loop, also put drum machine into mixer, mixer out to DL4 to two amps. I can screw with the drum sounds (as someone mentioned the decimator on the Bitrman is great for this) then loop them and go from there. Slide with ebow is fun, old guitars with crackling pots sound cool when you manipulate them with the UF oscillation, then to filters, delays..... it never ends.:D

• Members

Originally posted by PB Wilson

I love making noise with my gear. My latest favorite is my DIY Scrambler into a tremolo at a fast chop. Single chords and the throb of the tremolo makes for a great backdrop for other noise touches.

I'm also currently working on an
UglyFace
I can't wait to try it out. Do yourself a favor and listen to the soundclips. Pretty cool stuff. There are more soundclips
HERE
of the UglyFace (scroll down about 3/4 of the page), as well as a bunch of other interesting circuits. Too many tones, too little time...

Thanks for the links to all of the great schematics and soundclips.

The Ugly Face is quite impressive IMHO. Do you know if there is a way to mod it to accept a CV pedal or house it in a wah enclosure?

Man ... it may be time to start honing those underdeveloped soldering skills of mine. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by ian87

that sounds {censored}ing cool, RC. you have clips? should i be looking for a Faze??

-ian

I'll see what I can do this weekend. I haven't been recording much lately and what I have is on four track cassette, no computer in the music room yet. I have played around with transfering some stuff onto the computer with n-track. Also no place to put them, I could try to keep them on the short side and email to interested parties. The Faze is pretty good, especially for the $35 I paid for it. Don't know if MF has any left. It makes some noise if it's not in the loop, a problem I don't have with the Bitrman, though I usually don't use the distortion on it, then it can get a little noisy.

• Members

Originally posted by eucci

aodl,
Cleavage Steamer
mp3's:

Coast Wail

Griddle Tape Pulls the Body

Griddle Tape
was recorded to an old cassette (on a recorder that has probably very dirty heads), hence its even lower fi sound.

Gear used... bucket, vocals, tuning mic, tv, all the stuff pictured above, synth noise box, environment.

That would be so cool if it had rythm :(

-Colin

• Members

aodl,
Cleavage Steamer
mp3's:

Coast Wail

Griddle Tape Pulls the Body

Griddle Tape
was recorded to an old cassette (on a recorder that has probably very dirty heads), hence its even lower fi sound.

Gear used... bucket, vocals, tuning mic, tv, all the stuff pictured above, synth noise box, environment.

Could you post shorter excerpts for those of us with dail-up connections?

:)... I am glad to see that this thread is beginning to self-oscillate ... :D:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

The Ugly Face is quite impressive IMHO. Do you know if there is a way to mod it to accept a CV pedal or house it in a wah enclosure?

Man ... it may be time to start honing those underdeveloped soldering skills of mine.
:cool:

I think it would be a great effect housed in a wah shell. You could control the Frequency pot with the wah for some great effects. Not at all sure about setting it up for a CV pedal, but one of those EH copied foot-control pedals that came out recently could be a nice addition to the UglyFace.

Guest Anonymous

Image-391FCBBAECE511D8.jpg-thumb_269_202

Loop Matrix T6A anyone? ;')

LMT6A.jpg

6 seperate loops w/ feedback, photo eye, on/off, exp. pedal out

built-in boost/octavia/fuzz/scrambler/lo-fi

For those who dream of noise when eating spaghetti. :')

.. back to werk ..

• Members

Originally posted by Effector 13

Loop Matrix T6A anyone? ;')

LMT6A.jpg

6 seperate loops w/ feedback, photo eye, on/off, exp. pedal out

built-in boost/octavia/fuzz/scrambler/lo-fi

For those who dream of noise when eating spaghetti. :')

.. back to werk ..

Woah ... a self-contained feedback loop mixer!. :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

Woah ... a self-contained feedback loop mixer!.
:eek:

A smaller (and real ;) ) one exists. Loop Matrix T4. I've managed to get great photo-theremin style sounds out of mine just by running one of the T4's channel into my MoogerFooger, but keeping the MF on bypass. I get some great bass responses out of that just by playing with the light. (and it keeps me from having to buy a photo-theremin).

• Members

Originally posted by RitalinCupcake

I'll see what I can do this weekend. I haven't been recording much lately and what I have is on four track cassette, no computer in the music room yet. I have played around with transfering some stuff onto the computer with n-track. Also no place to put them, I could try to keep them on the short side and email to interested parties. The Faze is pretty good, especially for the $35 I paid for it. Don't know if MF has any left. It makes some noise if it's not in the loop, a problem I don't have with the Bitrman, though I usually don't use the distortion on it, then it can get a little noisy.

Digitalsoundplanet.com and Soundclick.com seem to be popular clip hosting options nowadays.

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

Thanks for the links to all of the great schematics and soundclips.

Man ... it may be time to start honing those underdeveloped soldering skills of mine.

I've built one up for a customer in a wah shell. It came out fine. I've also built a couple with jacks for a expression control (a volume pedal was used for the expression pedal). CV inputs are theoretically possible, I haven't been called on to do one, and I'd be a bit wary of doing one without knowing EXACTLY what would be interfacing with it.

The Uglyface is basically a really primitive guitar synthesizer, with a variable pulse control that kinda emulates a sweeping filter. If you have enough chops, you could add things like a real VCF, and envelope control over the volume like a real VCA. These things would "pretty up" the ugly somewhat, however. :p

Tim Escobedo (aka Shecky)

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

Definitely a lot more sinister this time ... what effects/instruments did you use?

hrmm, I think its the clip where I wired my old realistic weatheradio into my rig. I think its the dive bomb setting on the whammy (3 octaves) and mode 1 on the dd-5...

• Members

I missed this fantastic thread !

some serious noise I found, a contemporary chamber music piece written for 5 electric guitars, volume and fuzz pedals and e-bow

it's entitled "Mal Strom, Mal Kein Strom" (current on, current off)

because the power is turned off and back on in a rapid motion, which creates a strange effect as well

3 minute clip

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by ck3

Woah ... a self-contained feedback loop mixer!.
:eek:

:')

Oh... I forgot to mention that the exp. pedal outs for each channel can also be used in tandem with an external VCO. It's absolutely INSANE what you can create. I hooked up the VCO out from my Ring Stinger to the exp in of a Feed Back Loop, with a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone in the loop... and it was just ridiculous... pitch shifting... ring mod... just plain crazy... and you don't need a Ring Stinger to make it work... any device with a VCO-out will work...

fblovco.jpg

- - -

What's the benefit of seperate Feed Back Loops?

One word : Routing

ever.

Archived