\ThE NoiZe LoUnGe///: HeLL, AnarChY, anD, the UnConVenTionaL UsE of EffeKtS

ck3

• Members

Though there is harshnoise.com for reference, I thought that it might be to the benefit of the larger HCEF community if there were a lounge thread here devoted to the discussion/demonstration of unconventional pedals (or "normal" ones with freaky uses or mods), guitar synths (both pedal and pickup driven), feedback loops, oscillators, filters, multi fx units with extreme textures, etc ... and pedal makers who market these sorts of wares can be assured an audience here as well ... so ...

...would anyone like to contribute? :)

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Totally... I use my Keeley mod'd pedals for much more than just guitar tracks.. For a long time I had been all about leaving the producing/editing within the computer, using VST in place of hardware - though it has it's place and I still LOVE VST plugins, I find that hardware, pedals, have their place - each does something the other cannot, and the use of pedals in recordings can have some amazing sounds - especially when compared to their vst equivlant at times.

Recently did a track and sent all the drum tracks (overheads/snare/kick etc..) individually through the Keeley Comp and BD2.. gave a really nice sound - much warmer than a vst plugin provided. I tried using my DS1ultra mod, though I like the BD2 more for drums, retains the original sound more and with a light touch of gain, sounds great... if you wanted to distort and manipulate more from the original, the DS1 would probably do it, sounded a little harsh though.

I like sending Pads through wah pedals, finding the sweet spot that makes them resonate nicely... playing a VSTi through my guitar rig and recording it back.

I really want to try my moon phaser and choralflange on vocals.. haven't yet, though I think it would provide a pretty sweet effect... just gotta figure out how to sing first ;).

Trevor.

• Members

well.. yeah. i like to contribute, i think. but it depends a little on what is ment with noiZe. when you would say: a sound with an undefined pitch, or something like that, im in for it. i mean things like what frith did with preparred guitars, or glenn branca...

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

Well, I'd love to help, but of the multiple noise bands I'm in, only one uses live effects.

Thing is, we don't remember what we do with them...

We basically dissociate and let our ears and hands do whatever they feel like.

Generally we listen back to what we did and end up scared.

Wow ... kind of sounds like 60's free form jazz. :cool:

For others in noise bands, is this the tried and true approach [to using effects] ... or are there groups out there with a more structured ethos with regard to noisemaking?

• Members

Originally posted by underscore

Totally... I use my Keeley mod'd pedals for much more than just guitar tracks.. For a long time I had been all about leaving the producing/editing within the computer, using VST in place of hardware - though it has it's place and I still LOVE VST plugins, I find that hardware, pedals, have their place - each does something the other cannot, and the use of pedals in recordings can have some amazing sounds - especially when compared to their vst equivlant at times.

Recently did a track and sent all the drum tracks (overheads/snare/kick etc..) individually through the Keeley Comp and BD2.. gave a really nice sound - much warmer than a vst plugin provided. I tried using my DS1ultra mod, though I like the BD2 more for drums, retains the original sound more and with a light touch of gain, sounds great... if you wanted to distort and manipulate more from the original, the DS1 would probably do it, sounded a little harsh though.

I like sending Pads through wah pedals, finding the sweet spot that makes them resonate nicely... playing a VSTi through my guitar rig and recording it back.

I really want to try my moon phaser and choralflange on vocals.. haven't yet, though I think it would provide a pretty sweet effect... just gotta figure out how to sing first
;)

Trevor.

VST effects can, indeed, achieve some unique results (often not found in pedal form) ... I currently tinker with a sonic decimator plugin on a regular basis to totally destroy drum tracks.

• Members

Originally posted by gappie

well.. yeah. i like to contribute, i think. but it depends a little on what is ment with noiZe. when you would say: a sound with an undefined pitch, or something like that, im in for it. i mean things like what frith did with preparred guitars, or glenn branca...

Given the nature of this forum, anything will do for now ... but there should probably be an emphasis on effects in case we finally get a moderator ... :D

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

Wow ... kind of sounds like 60's free form jazz.
:cool:

For others in noise bands, is this the tried and true approach ... or are there groups out there with a more structured approach to noisemaking?

There's Japanese noise style, which is abrasive and often dissonant and often laden with effects, but VERY structured.

There are varios levels of weird to noise, but there are ALOT of improv groups.

Satanists In Love is noisey and obnoxious, but we use very few effects.

Like distortion tremolo, and reverb and the like in studio.

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

VST effects can, indeed, achieve some unique results (often not found in pedal form) ... I currently tinker with a sonic decimator plugin on a regular basis to totally destroy drum tracks.

amen. i use the BitrMan to approximate the BitCrusher VST effect.

re. the Whammy, everything still functions normally w/ the exception of the treadle.

• Members

I love making noise with my gear. My latest favorite is my DIY Scrambler into a tremolo at a fast chop. Single chords and the throb of the tremolo makes for a great backdrop for other noise touches.

I'm also currently working on an UglyFace I can't wait to try it out. Do yourself a favor and listen to the soundclips. Pretty cool stuff. There are more soundclips HERE of the UglyFace (scroll down about 3/4 of the page), as well as a bunch of other interesting circuits. Too many tones, too little time...

• Members

oh well guess i went thruh the commission. :D

one of the most interesting guitar players using'noise' in a musical context is fred frith (imo). look at the guitar he plays. at the end of the neck is an extra pickup hanging above the strings. the sounds comming from a guitar with on both site of your left nad a pickupweird.. strange whatever. using a violinebow on a ricebowl to play the guita (second pic) through a big muff (if i remember well) gives noises that are weird. the art is to use them in a musical context.

frith2.jpg

http://www.kindamuzik.net/gfx/De%20handen%20van%20Fred%20Frith%20(2).JPG

• Members

ok, here's another serious suggestion.

now i know not everyone has a maestro ocatve box laying around, but if you do, or if you can get one, there's a way to keep the gate open all the time for full-out octave glitch madness.

i forget exactly how it's achieved, but zach vex was nice enough to help me sort mine out, and i can dig thru my records to see how it was done.

good times!

• Members

Ugh. It's so hard to post a response to something with this title. Sorry. I just hate whacky capitalization, and absolutely HATE seeing noise spelled as "noize".

That having been said, boy oh boy do I love the Q-Tron. It's become the one thing I can't do without.

This was my pedal setup as of a couple of months ago for aodl, around the time of the Muse Pile recordings. Since then I've added a Synth Noise Box and a couple more Arion pedals (I love those things!). Click on the picture for a larger one.

Image-391FCBBAECE511D8.jpg-thumb_269_202

Some of these pedals are probably going to go soon. I had hoped to sell some of my old pedals that worked better for guitar to get money for some more Sirkut Electronics pedals and units, but Sirkut just barely went on hiatus. Ugh. The time might be nigh to clear off my worktable and learn to build my own. But still, some are going to be going on the sale block soon:

The Danelectro Daddy-O is a fine pedal, solidly built (one of the full size pedals, not the pocket plastic ones), but the knobs are two small for real time manipulation and it doesn't make a great impact with the signals I run through it, especially when there's an Arion Metal Master and Big Muff Pi nearby. I'm trying to build a minimalist setup for doing small shows by train or bus (giving one ample time to rest), and the Daddy-O *might* have a place in that setup. But, I'm doubting it. It's hard for me to let things go...

Also likely to go is the E-H Deluxe Electric Mistress. If I ever need flange again, I have my dirty old Ibanez Time Machine. The DEM is another fine unit, but I'm not a big fan of flange (I used it on occasion with guitar). I do love the big E-H pedals though: good knobs for us table junkies.

I also have a DOD Vibro Thang. Not much use to me these days either. That one's definitely going.

The one that I'm undecided about is The Machine. It's kindof suffering the same issue that the Daddy-O is: in a full setup, it doesn't make much impact for the type of signals I run through it. But it's such a cool pedal on its own. It might also make its way into a minimalist setup. But when I think about things practically, I have debt I have to pay down and I need gear pieces that integrate better into the larger (and planned smaller) setup.

• Members

Originally posted by paulandpaul

sirkut electronics. the ultimate noise effects

the synth noise box is essential for any noisician. The prices are fair too.

I love my SNB. Unfortunately, Sirkut went on hiatus this week. There's word on the site that he's looking into "new options of delivering these pedals." I hope he does. I've been wanting one of the other SNB's he had listed in his old "under development" list (more knobs, input options, etc). And I wanted a Gnarler, although now that I think about it, I might have really wanted the Ring Mod that he built.

Anyways, I hope his stuff comes back. The prices are great, but what was especially great is that he built this stuff for noise artists. Thus all the stuff about "tone" and crap that matter (with good reason) to guitarists didn't apply to his stuff. It's meant to be noisy and dirty.

• Members

Originally posted by eucci

I love my SNB. Unfortunately, Sirkut went on hiatus this week. There's word on the site that he's looking into "new options of delivering these pedals." I hope he does. I've been wanting one of the other SNB's he had listed in his old "under development" list (more knobs, input options, etc). And I wanted a Gnarler, although now that I think about it, I might have really wanted the Ring Mod that he built.

Anyways, I hope his stuff comes back. The prices are great, but what was especially great is that he built this stuff for noise artists. Thus all the stuff about "tone" and crap that matter (with good reason) to guitarists didn't apply to his stuff. It's meant to be noisy and dirty.

Sorry about the KraZy Kaps aNd sChpeLLing ... they were merely for effect. ;)

I, too, have been eyeing some of this effect maker's gadgets ... though I have heard that his stomp box ring modulators have questionable builds.

• Members

Originally posted by ian87

amen. i use the BitrMan to approximate the BitCrusher VST effect.

re. the Whammy, everything still functions normally w/ the exception of the treadle.

Would it be possible to connect it to MIDI sequencer and really "press your luck" ... or is this the older version of the whammy?

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

Would it be possible to connect it to MIDI sequencer and really "press your luck" ... or is this the older version of the whammy?

not only possible, but probable. i do it all the time!

i'll hafta post some clips that i have. it's good times.

:)

Archived