• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by AF-100

Chill thread.

I have a Faze on the way.

Excellent choice. :cool:

All ... I have read a bit about "circuit bending" in a couple of different places. Would anyone care to briefly explain this process and/or provide some examples (pics or clips)?

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

Excellent choice.
:cool:

All ... I have read a bit about "circuit bending" in a couple of different places. Would anyone care to briefly explain this process and/or provide some examples (pics or clips)?

reed ghazala is recognized as the master of circuit bending -- you can read more here: http://www.anti-theory.com/soundart/circuitbend/

colin/bear is the kinda resident ckt-bnding expert 'round these parts. check out his site: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/

get a speak & spell, a soldering iron, and some jumpers and go crazy.

• Members

shecky-

I just realized who you are from your last post. I've been interested in your circuits for a while now and even built up a Harmonic Jerkulator a while back. Pretty brash and boisterous fuzz. As I mentioned a few posts ago, I'm working on my own UglyFace and can't wait to finish it up.

Some of your other circuits intrigue me as well: Jawari, T.M.K., Tripple Fuzz, PWM and others. I gotta dig out the breadboard and have some fun.

What are some of your favorites?

For those who want to delve into some cool circuits that will make the gear whores drool with envy check out Tim's site.

• Members
Originally posted by eucci

Naah. I think rhythm would ruin it
:)
and turn it into {ugh} "power noise".

I mean, real rythm, not wolf eyes noise. Like, real drum beats. To be honest it sounds like Stunt Rock sans drumbeats, and I think if you added that in there it would be amazing. Do an album for me :)

-Colin

• Members
Originally posted by Effector 13

Loop Matrix T6A anyone? ;')

LMT6A.jpg

6 seperate loops w/ feedback, photo eye, on/off, exp. pedal out

built-in boost/octavia/fuzz/scrambler/lo-fi

For those who dream of noise when eating spaghetti. :')

.. back to werk ..

Not to step on your toes, but as a point of advice to fellow noise-dreamers I have a feeling that a cheap powered mixer with multiple volume pedals, cheap ones, would be a better alternative for noise. An 8-channel mixer would be $40, 8 volume pedals would be $240, but that's only if you want 8. 4 would probably be just as capable of making odd noises, and probably more controllable, too.

-Colin

• Members

Hey Colin (or anyone), could you clear this last bit up for me?

You reccomend a powered mixer over a passive. Why? What if I want to plug into the soundboard (and/or my JC-120, for that matter) - wouldn't a passive mixer be better, just going by the "twice amplified" principle? Unless I'm misunderstanding the difference between the two types, having never owned a powered mixer.

• Members

Originally posted by draygon0

Hey Colin (or anyone), could you clear this last bit up for me?

You reccomend a powered mixer over a passive. Why? What if I want to plug into the soundboard (and/or my JC-120, for that matter) - wouldn't a passive mixer be better, just going by the "twice amplified" principle? Unless I'm misunderstanding the difference between the two types, having never owned a powered mixer.

Because when using a feedback loop, I go by principle that you should have the ability to have some sort of gain in the loop at all times... even if the gain is less than 1.00. Passive mixers use no power, they only make things quieter, powered mixers allow things to be made louder.

-Colin

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by bear

Not to step on your toes, but as a point of advice to fellow noise-dreamers I have a feeling that a cheap powered mixer with multiple volume pedals, cheap ones, would be a better alternative for noise. An 8-channel mixer would be $40, 8 volume pedals would be $240, but that's only if you want 8. 4 would probably be just as capable of making odd noises, and probably more controllable, too.

-Colin

Yeah... but you forgot the CV in/Exp outs, photo eyes, built-in fuzz device, and cool-ness factor. :')

• Members

Originally posted by bear

Because when using a feedback loop, I go by principle that you should have the ability to have some sort of gain in the loop at all times... even if the gain is less than 1.00. Passive mixers use no power, they only make things quieter, powered mixers allow things to be made louder.

-Colin

Right, that's what I was thinking. But can you still run a powered mixer into the main PA deck? I always thought powered units were meant to feed speakers directly.

• Members

First, fuggin' awesome thread. Let's overtake the Fuzz Lounge!

Alright, this took me maybe a half-hour, so no giggling:

layout_1012004.jpg

This is my ideal setup, as far as inputs and outputs go. The only thing pictured I don't already own is this mixer which, I understand, is a great way to handle signal routing.

What I really need help with, is the logistics. I'm horrible at spatial reasoning, and I can't figure out what I need to do with the section of the chain that starts with the Philtre and ends with the pitchshifter (PS-3, for those curious). How do I get all three sources routed through this section at once? Can I do it with a simple Y-cable? This is where the mixer should come in, right? but I don't know how it would work. Can someone explain (or draw :o) the wiring I'd need?

Also, experienced forumites, how does this look? Does it make sense? I'm probably going to be handling the "noise and rhythm" for the project I'd like to use this with, and the singer would also play fairly straight keyboards. The kinds of noise I'm really into are ambient rumbles and swooshy sounds - also, I like fuzzy bass beats perhaps more than is necessary. Basically, "well-behaved" noise - I'm too much of a sissy-man for Merzbow or eucci ;).

• Members
Originally posted by bieke

I missed this fantastic thread !

some serious noise I found, a contemporary chamber music piece written for 5 electric guitars, volume and fuzz pedals and e-bow

it's entitled "Mal Strom, Mal Kein Strom" (current on, current off)

because the power is turned off and back on in a rapid motion, which creates a strange effect as well

3 minute clip

Nifty ... similar to Einsturzende Neubauten, but jazzier. :cool:

• Members

Great lounge!
I'm sorta in the same category as D., i just installed Linux and haven't gotten MP3s or Real Player to work yet, also my access to the forum is sporadic at best these days.
I've been using my Echowave into a my DD-20 (used as a static looper with loop controlled by an expression pedal) as sort of noise/drum machine into a loop and then play guitar over that. The Echowave makes great noises when run into a tube zipper. Also, switching rapidly between a fuzzed out guitar and a fuzzed out Echowave gets some cool sounds.
Fingermush did a recording of us making noises last week. Not sure if any of it came out okay...

• Members

Right, that's what I was thinking. But can you still run a powered mixer into the main PA deck? I always thought powered units were meant to feed speakers directly.

You could... you can also trim down the mixer output and just put it through your amp.

-Colin

• Members

Originally posted by Effector 13

Yeah... but you forgot the CV in/Exp outs, photo eyes, built-in fuzz device, and cool-ness factor. :')

I can't deny the coolness factor, but with yours you also don't have an EQ and an active path for every feedback loop (unless the fuzz is built in to each channel?) I hope you've found a good way to wire that guy up, I don't even want to think about it!

-Colin

• Members

First, fuggin' awesome thread. Let's overtake the Fuzz Lounge!

Alright, this took me maybe a half-hour, so no giggling:

layout_1012004.jpg

This is my ideal setup, as far as inputs and outputs go. The only thing pictured I don't already own is this mixer which, I understand, is a great way to handle signal routing.

What I really need help with, is the logistics. I'm horrible at spatial reasoning, and I can't figure out what I need to do with the section of the chain that starts with the Philtre and ends with the pitchshifter (PS-3, for those curious). How do I get all three sources routed through this section at once? Can I do it with a simple Y-cable? This is where the mixer should come in, right? but I don't know how it would work. Can someone explain (or draw
:o
) the wiring I'd need?

Also, experienced forumites, how does this look? Does it make sense? I'm probably going to be handling the "noise and rhythm" for the project I'd like to use this with, and the singer would also play fairly straight keyboards. The kinds of noise I'm really into are ambient rumbles and swooshy sounds - also, I like fuzzy bass beats perhaps more than is necessary. Basically, "well-behaved" noise - I'm too much of a sissy-man for Merzbow or eucci
;)

I have a setup kind of in the neighborhood of what you're doing, I posted it earlier without a cool drawing. My opinion would be to move the UF and PS in line with the giutar and other pedals. The UF likes to be first for best controll of the oscillation. I would try UF-PS-VS-440. Next, if you put the Alesis stuff in the effects loop of the mixer you can also use them on the drums. Then send the mixer out to the DL4, then you can loop drums too. Out of the DL4 to amp and PA. Not sure what to do with thePDS 1002, does the singer use it alot? I put a mic into the mixer, but the singer doesn't use any effects.

• Members

Originally posted by RitalinCupcake

I have a setup kind of in the neighborhood of what you're doing, I posted it earlier without a cool drawing. My opinion would be to move the UF and PS in line with the giutar and other pedals. The UF likes to be first for best controll of the oscillation. I would try UF-PS-VS-440. Next, if you put the Alesis stuff in the effects loop of the mixer you can also use them on the drums. Then send the mixer out to the DL4, then you can loop drums too. Out of the DL4 to amp and PA. Not sure what to do with thePDS 1002, does the singer use it alot? I put a mic into the mixer, but the singer doesn't use any effects.

That sounds good, I didn't think about the mixer's effects loop. Would that mean that all channels are going through the Alesis stuff at once, though?

The PDS is just an old analog delay/looper. It's the two-second version of the more famous PDS-8000. I just like either capture little phrases from the lyrics or put a big self-osc on the vocals - kind of a half-assed version of Radiohead's "Everything in its Right Place."

• Members
Originally posted by Blungo

Great lounge!

I'm sorta in the same category as D., i just installed Linux and haven't gotten MP3s or Real Player to work yet, also my access to the forum is sporadic at best these days.

I've been using my Echowave into a my DD-20 (used as a static looper with loop controlled by an expression pedal) as sort of noise/drum machine into a loop and then play guitar over that. The Echowave makes great noises when run into a tube zipper. Also, switching rapidly between a fuzzed out guitar and a fuzzed out Echowave gets some cool sounds.

Fingermush did a recording of us making noises last week. Not sure if any of it came out okay...

If and when you get the chance, any clips would be appreciated. :cool:

• Members

That sounds good, I didn't think about the mixer's effects loop. Would that mean that all channels are going through the Alesis stuff at once, though?

Each channel should have an effects send pot, that controlls how much that channel is effected. I have a Behringer mixer, UB802, that works great, they're cheap too.

• Members

Originally posted by PB Wilson

shecky-

I just realized who you are from your last post. I've been interested in your circuits for a while now and even built up a Harmonic Jerkulator a while back. Pretty brash and boisterous fuzz. As I mentioned a few posts ago, I'm working on my own UglyFace and can't wait to finish it up.

Some of your other circuits intrigue me as well: Jawari, T.M.K., Tripple Fuzz, PWM and others. I gotta dig out the breadboard and have some fun.

What are some of your favorites?

I change favorites depending on my mood. I'm always tweaking my original T.M.K. I think I could get lots of milage out of that one. I also like the Cinnabar quite a bit for it's two distince voices.

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

If and when you get the chance, any clips would be appreciated.
:cool:

Thanks. It may be a while before i can post clips, hopefully Fingermush will beat me to it.
Most of the time i can't even get through to the forum (my isp doesn't seem to like it).

• Members
Originally posted by Blungo

I've been using my Echowave into a my DD-20 (used as a static looper with loop controlled by an expression pedal) as sort of noise/drum machine into a loop and then play guitar over that. The Echowave makes great noises when run into a tube zipper.

Glad to hear you're getting something cool outta that box! :cool:

Mike

Archived