\ThE NoiZe LoUnGe///: HeLL, AnarChY, anD, the UnConVenTionaL UsE of EffeKtS

ck3

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by prophecysound

Glad to hear you're getting something cool outta that box!
:cool:

Mike

Thanks,
I've been digging it ever since it arrived. I didn't think the Triwave could be topped until i got my Echowave. Very cool.

p.s. Would it be expensive to have it sent back for the silver knob/polished case look? Or are you still doing that? Thanks.
sonny AT nanomations DOT org

• Members

Originally posted by D.

which distrobution are you using Blungo?

Fedora Core 1. A friend who is a Unix guru is coming over tonight. Hopefully he'll help me get things squared away.

Update: Just switched to Core 2 and used YUM to get Mplayer. I think i might even be able to get my digital camera to work with Gphoto.

• Members

Originally posted by RitalinCupcake

Each channel should have an effects send pot, that controlls how much that channel is effected. I have a Behringer mixer, UB802, that works great, they're cheap too.

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks a lot!

• Members
Originally posted by shecky

I change favorites depending on my mood. I'm always tweaking my original T.M.K. I think I could get lots of milage out of that one. I also like the Cinnabar quite a bit for it's two distince voices.

What is the most simple circuit of yours to build? I am currently contemplating my first series of DIY projects and wanted to start with something more colorful than the boost I orignally had in mind, if possible.

Thanks. :cool:

• Members

The circuit bending link on page 3 of this thread is very informative and has inspired me to want to mutilate the insides of my Arion SAD-3 Stereo Delay.

Historically, has this pedal been a decent candidate for circuit bending surgery? Also, what are some popular pedals for this sort of modification, if any?

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

What is the most simple circuit of yours to build? I am currently contemplating my first series of DIY projects and wanted to start with something more colorful than the boost I orignally had in mind, if possible.

Thanks.
:cool:

Lots of them are pretty simple. If you want to do something besides a boost, maybe you could try a Bronx Cheer or if you could score a LMC567 from digikey.com, a Thing Modulator. Both pretty simple.

• Members
Originally posted by draygon0

Oh, also, what's a good cheap fuzz to run after a drum machine for fuzzy bass?

really, just about anything. i find that drums don't need a lot of dirt before they sound dirty. the "drive" on my Adrenalinn is pretty sweet for that, but really any dirt pedal could be a candidate.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by bear

I can't deny the coolness factor, but with yours you also don't have an EQ and an active path for every feedback loop (unless the fuzz is built in to each channel?) I hope you've found a good way to wire that guy up, I don't even want to think about it!

-Colin

I've been so inundated with production, I haven't had a lot of time to beef up my design skillz recently, but I'm definately looking forward to educating myself on better EQing circuitry.

I'm working on what to do with the Fuzz. For now, it's going to be a seperate patchable effect (I'm coming at this from a modular synth perspective), but eventually I would definately like to get into more complex internal routing.

Like you said though... wiring is a bitch... and with the current set-up it will be a cake-walk, but if I were to get into more complex internal routing, that's where things begin to get hairy. Especially when I get distracted, wire ONE stupid little connection the wrong way, or get two of them reversed... and the next thing I know, I have to start tearing things apart trying to find the mis-routed wire.

Just had that very trouble with a custom project (see attachment)... spent over 8 hours... screwed something up... and just gave up... I just don't have time for it right now. :'(

Anyhow... yeah... I'm just working with what I have, with what little time I have. As soon as I can get someone to take over production, I'll be able to get back into improving my designing abilities...

ever.

• Members

I think the DOD Meat Box may be just what you're looking for. It takes the twerpy bass drum on my Roland TR-606 and makes it sound huge and evil. Not really a "fuzz" but it's kind of in the same direction. The folks at Harshnoise have nice things to say about this one, in general: meat box review

Oh, also, what's a good cheap fuzz to run after a drum machine for fuzzy bass?

• Members
Originally posted by ian87

really, just about anything. i find that drums don't need a lot of dirt before they sound dirty. the "drive" on my Adrenalinn is pretty sweet for that, but really any dirt pedal could be a candidate.

Good, good. That's what I was hoping to hear ;)

• Members

Bump - where's the love?

Anyway, I'm trying to think of something fun and noise-related to do with two of the effects I never use - my cheapass Arion compressor and Boss AC-2 Acoustic Sim.

The AC-2 can give you a Brad Lanier (Medicine)-style fuzz tone if placed in front of a heavy distortion ... it almost completely erradicates the low end and makes a gainier tone very piercing ... painfully so at the right settings. :eek::D

[Edit:] ... and, if you have run out of practical applications for your compressor and have a feedback loop, toss your compressor in it sometime :D... if it is anything like the one I own, it will create these nifty, rapidly peaking, rhythmic swooping sounds (maybe only when dimed).

Also, if you have not tired this already, your compressor may also create some interesting effects with a drum machine ... especially if you only apply its harsher settings to one of the stereo outs and pan the results some odd way ... I haven't actually tried this drum machine trick, but I think that it would sound pretty cool with some careful knob turning. :)

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

Are there any online clips demonstrating his approach in action?

no sorry, could not find any.
when you have the possibility to rent/lent the video 'step across the border' you could see some of it. or life, altough he does so many different things.:)

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

The AC-2 can give you a Brad Lanier (Medicine)-style fuzz tone if placed in front of a heavy distortion ... it almost completely erradicates the low end and makes a gainier tone very piercing ... painfully so at the right settings.
:eek::D

[Edit:] ... and, if you have run out of practical applications for your compressor and have a feedback loop, toss your compressor in it sometime
:D
... if it is anything like the one I own, it will create these nifty, rapidly peaking, rhythmic swooping sounds (maybe only when dimed).

Also, if you have not tired this already, your compressor may also create some interesting effects with a drum machine ... especially if you only apply its harsher settings to one of the stereo outs and pan the results some odd way ... I haven't actually tried this drum machine trick, but I think that it would sound pretty cool with some careful knob turning.
:)

Yeah, I do love the offbeat piercing tone I get with AC-2 running into a fuzz. AC-2 > DOD 440 > fuzz will cut through anything! I've gotta get that back onto my board, it could definitely become my signature sound!

• Members

Yeah, I do love the offbeat piercing tone I get with AC-2 running into a fuzz. AC-2 > DOD 440 > fuzz will cut through anything! I've gotta get that back onto my board, it could definitely become my signature sound!

Fuzz int oAC-2 gets even more insane, especially if you PUSH it.

• Members

I am quickly becoming the most interrogative guy on the thread... :o

Anyway, if I need to split a signal - say, the guitar signal into both a mixer and a separate effects chain - can I just use a Y-cable? Does that decrease signal strength? Do I need a splitter or stereo buffer or anything?

• Members

I am quickly becoming the most interrogative guy on the thread...
:o

Anyway, if I need to split a signal - say, the guitar signal into both a mixer and a separate effects chain - can I just use a Y-cable? Does that decrease signal strength? Do I need a splitter or stereo buffer or anything?

I did this with a cheapo Radio Shack adapter once (into a pair of amp modelers)... I detected a definite loss of gain and clarity ... I now use a Loooper A/BY box for the same purpose and the results are greatly improved, IMHO. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

The circuit bending link on page 3 of this thread is very informative and has inspired me to want to mutilate the insides of my Arion SAD-3 Stereo Delay.

Historically, has this pedal been a decent candidate for circuit bending surgery? Also, what are some popular pedals for this sort of modification, if any?

Can anyone provide some tips here ... or another link that is specific to pedals? :confused:

Archived