Stratocasters. Show me yours.

travisbrowning

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I put my strat together, I have an. 80's Korean SquierII Maple neck that is really sweet so I bought a GFS loaded SSH loaded pickguard (black with white pickups) and a seafoam green pawlonia body that is unbelievably light (2.5 lbs) and very resonant, nice light very playable axe for about $100.

• Members

companyman wrote:

I put my strat together, I have an. 80's Korean SquierII Maple neck that is really sweet so I bought a GFS loaded SSH loaded pickguard (black with white pickups) and a seafoam green pawlonia body that is unbelievably light (2.5 lbs) and very resonant, nice light very playable axe for about $100.

I've always wondered how those Pawlonia baodies from GFS are. Hmm, that might be a good option. 

• Members

alien wrote:

Has2 b all lip sticks tho , one lip stick with sc's facepalm noob move facepalmmm

Normally I'd agree with you. I'm really OCD about that kinda thing but when a bridge pickup is different on some guitars I feel ok about it. Plus I wanted something unique out of my bridge pickup as I rarely use a bridge pup. I'm really not a strat guy, more of a tele/les paul kinda dude.

P.S.

Holy **** sick guitar collection up there ^

• Members

This was my first electric guitar although I don't have it any longer. I bought it new in the late 60s and did all the modifications myself. I remember being criticized by some folks with the most popular comment being, "Why didn't you just buy a Gibson?" I was a big fan of Santana at the time, wanted a more dense sound and it was cheaper to buy the pickups than an SG. :smileywink: This picture was taken in 1970... sorry for the quality but the prints have been shuffled around quite a bit these last 40+ years.

I carved out the spaces for the humbuckers using my dad's hand chisel but had troubled finding a suitable piece of plastic for the pickguard. A friend who was working at the CIBA-GEIGY plant in St. Gabriel, LA found a scrap of pure teflon that I was able to trim to the correct size. It wasn't completely opaque as you can still see the middle pickup hole showing through. I found out later that piece of teflon was very expensive in 1970 and probably worth more than the entire guitar. :smileysurprised: My memories were that it had a great sound although the E strings pole pieces didn't quite line up so I had to do some tweaking of the pole pieces to balance string volume. I don't remember what I did with it but kind of wish I still had it just because I don't remember many people who were putting humbuckers on Strats back then.

modified\_strat1970.jpg

• Members

I've always liked Strats. Owned a few cheaper versions. Always liked Teles better. However, I've been on the hunt for a new guitar once I sell this Jazzmaster. I've been playing quite a few hollowbodies and Teles, but yesterday I played a Strat. Wow. I had forgotten about how versatile and comfortable they are. I'm a little worried it might be a bit to bright/thin for rhythm playing though. Anyone playing rhythm with a strat? Show me your strats!

Well you could always get one with a humbucker. I don't know what kind of music you play but if you use a distortion pedal, it sounds better with 2 coils. I rewired  my pickups so I can switch between single and double coil. I think the new strats have this built in but they are pricey, twice what I paid in '98.

• Members

@Porkchop That has to be one of the coolest photos of any guitar I've ever seen... well done!

I too am a Tele guy now, my main axe is a blonde-on-blonde with Tom Anderson "splitting option" pickups and switches for each pickup to go single coil or reverse-wound double coil. I think it gives the best of both worlds with some great flexibility. The only problem is, it's the heaviest Tele I've ever come across at 9.8 lbs. :smileysurprised: I even considered having someone rout out some channels :smileywink: but it does have good sustain and one of the most playable necks I've ever had.

tele\_anderson.jpg

• Members

I tend to prefer Teles, but I do love Strats as well. 

Fender 50th Anniversary Strat:

This MIJ Squier "Wayne's World" Strat (awesome neck on this one):

imageimage

This weird '90s Squier that was built in the US.  It started life like this:

imageimageAnd got modded to hell and now looks like this: image

• 2 weeks later...

Archived