Name some popular amps along with their "poor mans" version

Tonally Anal

• Members

Originally posted by voivod

I realize that but I don't look at pedals,I play blues and I didn't know that this was the "heavy metal" amp board.

Well now you know. The Amp forum is pretty much a metal board. The reason the SD-1 is super popular here is because it provides an awesome kick to an already overdriven amp with a little bit more color.

I, along with many swear by it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thanks for setting me straight,maybe i'll give it a go when i want to rock

Originally posted by highgainlover

Well now you know. The Amp forum is pretty much a metal board. The reason the SD-1 is super popular here is because it provides an awesome kick to an already overdriven amp with a little bit more color.

I, along with many swear by it.

;)

• Members

Originally posted by FuelGTRX

nah, those don't really sound close to eachother. The poor man's SLO is the Yamaha T-100.

Soldano SLO ---> Yamaha T-100

r

No offense bro, but they sound nothing alike, no comparison, the T-100 is one of those amps people buy because of the association with Soldano then sell shortly thereafter.

raspy and harsh, had to lie to myself that I liked the amp when I bought it, sold it a few months later... save your money people or get a used HR50 if you cant afford a SLO. Still no comparison but a lot closer in voicing.

• Members

Originally posted by RonniePentatonic

No offense bro, but they sound nothing alike, no comparison, the T-100 is one of those amps people buy because of the association with Soldano then sell shortly thereafter.

raspy and harsh, had to lie to myself that I liked the amp when I bought it, sold it a few months later... save your money people or get a used HR50 if you cant afford a SLO. Still no comparison but a lot closer in voicing.

I didn't say they sounded alike, just that the Yamaha is a poor man's version. I've owned a Yamaha T-50 and T-100 and I have played an SLO before and that distinct Soldano sound is there but the $1500 dollar difference is there. It like comparing the Carvin Legacy to the Bogner XTC, while the Carvin sounds no where near as awsome as the XTC, its still trying to cop the same sound for a cheaper price. Thats what makes a poor mans amp, a cheap amp trying to cop the sound of a more expensive amp.

You do have to admit, the Yamaha T-100 is alot closer to the SLO sound than the Peavey 5150:D.

• Members

well,I in no way am talking trash about boss,I'm sounding repeditive here but I just don't play them....period.Some people like fords.....some like chevy's and be that if you are a ford man,you don't integrate the two (at least I don't) and I don't own a marshall anymore I have a fender princeton (which is great for blues since I play clean now) and I don't post on here that much as you can see,I'm up to 67 posts and you and I registered not too far apart so my knowledge is limited on here as opposed to these other clowns that have thousands of posts....btw how's league city? I'm here in pearland and traffic sucks due to overdeveloping here as it is down there....i'm starting to go to this music store down there called danny d's (nice people) .geeeeeee........maybe I'll have to play through an sd1 and see what the fuss is all about....haha!!

League City blows :D;). Too much damn traffic and yuppies, too many rich subdivisons going up.

Yeah Danny D's is pretty cool, my favorite place to get pedals b/c unlike Guitar Center, they are actually in stock:D.

• Members

I realize that but I don't look at pedals,I play blues and I didn't know that this was the "heavy metal" amp board. The pedals I played in the past was a big muff and a small stone,both by electro harmonix back in 1979, I did not at all play boss.I do not go to guitar center because they are everything wrong in music today,I go to mom and pop stores and pawnshops and that's the way I've been doing that ever since the 80's..sooooo the "elitists" on here can beliddle me all they want,I just don't go to big corporate bushwah companies just to make a fast buck off of you by bs'ing you into buying their junk. Thanks

But you call yourself voivod, and while I know a voivod was a transylvanian warlord, most people will think about the Canadian avant-garde metal band :) This might be the reason noone immediately understood you were a bluesman :) A Marshall jcm 800 and a Boss sd-1 (it is easier to write sd-1 than Boss Super Overdrive :D) were the weapons of choice for app. one billion metal players from around the era Voivod were popular :)

• Members
Originally posted by FuelGTRX

You do have to admit, the Yamaha T-100 is alot closer to the SLO sound than the Peavey 5150:D.

To me and you at least. :D I owned both at the same time and although I hate the T-100 it sounded at least closer to my Hotrod 50 (poor man's SLO ;) ) than the 5150 did.

Still have the 5150, Soldano and T-100 gone.

• Members

yes I did name myself after the awesome metal band out of canada,but when I used to watch them play BACK IN THE 80" S,I wasn't straining my neck to see what pedals he was using and I stopped playing metal a while ago and I used vintage pedals....period. and another thing,I also used an mxr distortion pedal too,boss wasn't the only pedal on the block.

Originally posted by Knut E Evenmo

But you call yourself voivod, and while
I
know a voivod was a transylvanian warlord, most people will think about the Canadian avant-garde metal band
:)
This might be the reason noone immediately understood you were a bluesman
A Marshall jcm 800 and a Boss sd-1 (it is easier to write sd-1 than Boss Super Overdrive
:D
) were the weapons of choice for app. one billion metal players from around the era Voivod were popular

• Members

yes I did name myself after the awesome metal band out of canada,but when I used to watch them play BACK IN THE 80" S,I wasn't straining my neck to see what pedals he was using and I stopped playing metal a while ago and I used vintage pedals....period. and another thing,I also used an mxr distortion pedal too,boss wasn't the only pedal on the block.

Are you still going on about this. Dude, people are going to stay on your ass if you keep bumping the thread bro. Forget it move on. Cheers Lucius

• Members

if you haven't noticed,I like to debate and these forums are perfect for it,I don't do it to antagonize or nitpick like the others do on here and since I don't have a guitar at work,I type on this thing and read forums WORSE than this.(that guy paul edwards is the king of agitating people on here)Sooooo we'll leave it at that.........eh?! Y'all take care!! Tommy.

Originally posted by Lucius

Are you still going on about this. Dude, people are going to stay on your ass if you keep bumping the thread bro. Forget it move on. Cheers Lucius

:p

Archived