ENGL Powerball/Framus COBRA People, Questions here

guitarman967

• Members

For any Formites that have either played or owned both,

Which one has a better clean.

Which one has a tighter lowend for mutes.

Which one has more saturation or gain.

Let's assume you tried them on the same cab with the same guitar as they are big factors to consider

• Members

The only thing I can make out from clips is that the Framus is more organic sounding whereas the P-Ball sounds a bit solid State and Trebley. Hard to tell from clips but the Low end does sound pretty meatly and tight on the Powerball clips I've heard. It definitelty comes down to speakers and cabs though, because the Cobra can sound real different depending on what's used.

• Members

Originally posted by textdivine

Never played a Framus but I know that the Powerball just rules. You start to realize it after you sell it like a moron and try other gear.

+1 the Powerball is one amazing amp. Its hard to compare to the Cobra, but they both rock big time.

• Members

Originally posted by J.B.

Just get one Joel!!!
:D

I was listening to your clips again tonight, and man, the Powerball is dead nuts on the Master of Puppets tone. I was also really digging that SLO you had, even for the Fast Metal Riffage. When you getting yourself a Cobra my man:)

• Members
Originally posted by guitarman967

I was listening to your clips again tonight, and man, the Powerball is dead nuts on the Master of Puppets tone. I was also really digging that SLO you had, even for the Fast Metal Riffage. When you getting yourself a Cobra my man:)

I'll be checking out somebodies Cobra either this weekend or the next. But I've been gassing for another Powerball lately:D

• Members

Yeah, I've noticed:D I'm been busy getting into Diezel Flame wars:cool: But I've meant to send you an Email about the Powerball. Wish I could just try one and see if it will hold up to the COBRA. I took my Cobra down to the Shop today to try out some pickups and let some other people jam out on it. I never new it could sound so bad depending who's playing it and what other things are in the chain:p I think that alot of the Good tone we're searching for is really in the playing style of the guitar player. I had one guy (who is the only guy I ever took lessons from, a shred guy who was in guitar player magazine a while back and was asked to join ICED EARTH) tell me after playing the Cobra "well, if you want a tight sound, this definitely isn't it" Truth is, it didn't sound that tight with the guitar and technique he had going for his rhythms but when he left I was ripping out some fierce chops and It kinda hit me that so many factors can change your Interpretation of gear and sound in general that it's almost pointless to be asking a million questions on a board like this, But I do it anyway:) If I had walked in, never played a Cobra before and was listening to these guys play with that crappy Yamaha guitar through the cab that was hooked up I would have thought Framus were hype. I took it home, plugged into my setup and I was happy again, for the moment.

• Members

Which one has a better clean: Cobra

The PowerBalls cleans are more stiff and cold than the Cobras. The Framus is more round and warm compared to the PowerBalls cleans.

Which one has a tighter lowend for mutes: PowerBall

The only other amp tighter than the PowerBall would be a VHT UL/CLX, my Herbert 2.5 and UBer Blue were tighter than my Cobra.

Which one has more saturation or gain: Both

This is one of those which pedal can get me a Metallica tone out of my Peavey Rage115. Both amps have more gain and gain thats usable than 95% of the amp I have ever played.

94573682.jpg

Take Care

• Members

Originally posted by xiwiwix

Which one has a better clean: Cobra

The PowerBalls cleans are more stiff and cold than the Cobras. The Framus is more round and warm compared to the PowerBalls cleans.

Which one has a tighter lowend for mutes: PowerBall

The only other amp tighter than the PowerBall would be a VHT UL/CLX, my Herbert 2.5 and UBer Blue were tighter than my Cobra.

This is one of those which pedal can get me a Metallica tone out of my Peavey Rage115. Both amps have more gain and gain thats usable than 95% of the amp I have ever played.

94573682.jpg

Take Care

Weird, I had a VHT CLX and my Cobra was alot tighter sounding. It wasn't even close. Then you have most people on the forum who say the Cobra is tighter. It's really a toss up in that category I assume. So is there more usable gain that the Herbert and the UBER then?

• Members

Weird, I had a VHT CLX and my Cobra was alot tighter sounding. It wasn't even close. Then you have most people on the forum who say the Cobra is tighter. It's really a toss up in that category I assume. So is there more usable gain that the Herbert and the UBER then?

I didn't have have my CLX when I had my Cobra so I'm not a 100%, you could be right.

Well the gains on both amps are different. The UBer is completely organic, and it depends where you set the gain on the Herbert; it can go from organic to more stiff sounding right before it becomes unusable. If I "had" to make a choice, yes the Herbert has more "usable" gain the the UBer, but you can set the knob closer to "10" on the UBer than you can on the Herbert when its not in PLUS mode.

Take Care

• Members

This is one of those which pedal can get me a Metallica tone out of my Peavey Rage115.

Take Care

guitarman967, I wasn't trying to be a jerk when I said this, I was trying to be fun. I hope I didn't come across the wrong way.

Take Care

• Members

guitarman967, I wasn't trying to be a jerk when I said this, I was trying to be fun. I hope I didn't come across the wrong way.

Take Care

I didn't take it that way at all. This is basically just another stupid thread. It's all a matter of opinion and the variables that are in place. It's just not possile to walk into a shop and get the answers so That's why I ask. I'm happy with what I got but I wish I had a room like yours to really nail down the differences. Thanks for your help, See Ya :)

• Members

Hee Joel...My buddy bought Roland's powerball and I got to play it last week(thanks again Roland). The Framus slays it IMO, but it is something I want to buy maybee next summer when I have some more cash.

Here is what I found. THE Cobra sounds very "real" and Organic while the Powerball is very deathmetal-ish. Thinner and more treblely. The low end is similar to a 5150 in that it blooms but much tighter. The Powerball definitly has crunch for days, but with my mxr EQ my cobra has all the crunch i want(i get my crunch from digging in hard anyway). The cobra sounds RAW and mean while the Powerball does sound mean it has a scooped sound to it no matter what eq you use(open or focused mids). I forgot what setting it was, but my friend and I were able to get the PB to sound like a thinner but crunchier cobra. I believe it was open mids?. All in all i would say that the PB is an amp I would pair up with the cobra, but would never leave the cobra home and bring out a powerball as the main..but that is just my opinion and judging on our tastes and likings of the cobra you might find the same thing to be true for yourself. PS I sitll want to get that little mod done to add some wettness to my channel 2 but I really dont want more gain...just some wet!

PEACE OUT

KYLE

• Members

Originally posted by ROTINPAIN

Hee Joel...My buddy bought Roland's powerball and I got to play it last week(thanks again Roland). The Framus slays it IMO, but it is something I want to buy maybee next summer when I have some more cash.

Here is what I found. THE Cobra sounds very "real" and Organic while the Powerball is very deathmetal-ish. Thinner and more treblely. The low end is similar to a 5150 in that it blooms but much tighter. The Powerball definitly has crunch for days, but with my mxr EQ my cobra has all the crunch i want(i get my crunch from digging in hard anyway). The cobra sounds RAW and mean while the Powerball does sound mean it has a scooped sound to it no matter what eq you use(open or focused mids). I forgot what setting it was, but my friend and I were able to get the PB to sound like a thinner but crunchier cobra. I believe it was open mids?. All in all i would say that the PB is an amp I would pair up with the cobra, but would never leave the cobra home and bring out a powerball as the main..but that is just my opinion and judging on our tastes and likings of the cobra you might find the same thing to be true for yourself. PS I sitll want to get that little mod done to add some wettness to my channel 2 but I really dont want more gain...just some wet!

PEACE OUT

KYLE

The most helpful post of the day. THANK-YOU KYLE! I really trust your opinions and you know what your talking about man so there you go, I'll bet I'd have the same take on it. The Mod for the COBRA I did is a real ass kicker. It gives you the option of a dry articulate gain (which is what's stock) or a more saturated "softer" gain. After a few different tries at it I pretty much got the resistor's to obey me and found a way to add the maxium amount of gain without any bass flub happening. It's really close though when you max the gain out with this mod. Listen to Anthrax's album "the greater of two evils" and it sounds alot like that tone. Tight but super gainy and crunchy. It would probably give more of that Powerball crunch. PM for directions if you want bro. If you've ever soldered you can do this no problem.:D

• Members

Oh yeah I forgot to ask, SO is the Powerball similar to what the Cobra sound's like with the Notch engaged on the Crunch Channel? Also you know how tight and huge the Framus sounds on Palm mutes, is the Powerball not as tight and huge?

Single notes the Framus sounds thicker, but when you powerchord the PowerBall sounds thicker. The PowerBall is WAY tighter than the Cobra. I do agree the Cobra does sound more agressive, it has the most brutal tone in an high gain amp, IMO.

Take Care

• Members

Oh yeah I forgot to ask, SO is the Powerball similar to what the Cobra sound's like with the Notch engaged on the Crunch Channel? Also you know how tight and huge the Framus sounds on Palm mutes, is the Powerball not as tight and huge?

Not IMO at all notch on or off. The Cobra has the better clean tones and the heavy tones have more body but overall I like the Engl voicing over the Framus myself for metal tones and I think it is tighter sounding as well.

Derek

• Members

Originally posted by ROTINPAIN

PEACE OUT

KYLE

No problem bro! You need to do the upside down "v" on the EQ to give the PowerBall that mid range bite.

Take Care

• Members

I find it really frustrating to decide on amps when you have little to no access to the "boutique" stuff on the market. Living where I do I was fortunate enough to try a Badcat out but other than that I live in MesaMarshallPeaveyRivera land so the other stuff is out of reach. Clips help some but I find that unless I can plug my guitar into an amp and really spend some time with it I never can tell if I will like an amp or not. I really dig my XXX but I have been dying to try a Framus Cobra, Engl Savage and a Splawn Promod. I'm sure any of them would be awesome but like I said at the moment I can't find out.:mad:

• Members

Joel...

I agree with derek concerning the notch on/off notion. I just finished playin the Cobra for a while at mid loud volumes and I got to say that this amp is truley a MONSTER LOL. It is soo marshall like its not even funny(in a great way..theres that marshall roar i was talking about). The notch is something I hardly use becuase it makes the framus looser and scoops all those awsome mids I love. The only time I use the notch is if Im having a bad tone day and the amp is sounding muddy...then I notch it.

As far as the single notes and plam mutes and power chords...Single notes are deffinitly thicker on the Framus than the PowerBall, Plam mutes Bloom on the PB and Crush on the Cobra. Power Chords sound just as brutal on either amps(gotta love those 5ths)...its just a different kind of "brutal" I suppose you can say. Power Chords on the PB are more crunchy where as with the Cobra Id say they have alot more body "oomph".

As far as frequencies go concerning these amps..here is what Else I noticed/found. The Cobra has a very full sound and alot of frequencies which in my opinion is what makes it cut through soo well. Think of an EQ where the sliders create a smooth look. For the PB the FREQuencies are more "choppy". Think of an EQ where the sliders are spikey and up, down, up down. I hope that all makes sense...

Ok thats all I got to say for now cause my hands hurt from all this typing lol...Id also like to say that remember that this is all my OPINION and it is what I noticed and found. I tried to be very unbiased when describing both amps as I truley do like both amd would love to get a PB to go along with my Framus someday when I has more $$.

KYLE

• Members

For any Formites that have either played or owned both,

Which one has a better clean.

Which one has a tighter lowend for mutes.

Which one has more saturation or gain.

Let's assume you tried them on the same cab with the same guitar as they are big factors to consider

Dude, your head's going to explode. Just get one or the other. Yu'll be happy.

Archived