ENGL Powerball/Framus COBRA People, Questions here

guitarman967

• Members

Originally posted by DerekB

Not IMO at all notch on or off. The Cobra has the better clean tones and the heavy tones have more body but overall I like the Engl voicing over the Framus myself for metal tones and I think it is tighter sounding as well.

Derek

Thanks Derek, I know you have as much Experience with these amps as anyone so I appreciate the input!

• Members

Originally posted by ROTINPAIN

Joel...

I agree with derek concerning the notch on/off notion. I just finished playin the Cobra for a while at mid loud volumes and I got to say that this amp is truley a MONSTER LOL. It is soo marshall like its not even funny(in a great way..theres that marshall roar i was talking about). The notch is something I hardly use becuase it makes the framus looser and scoops all those awsome mids I love. The only time I use the notch is if Im having a bad tone day and the amp is sounding muddy...then I notch it.

As far as the single notes and plam mutes and power chords...Single notes are deffinitly thicker on the Framus than the PowerBall, Plam mutes Bloom on the PB and Crush on the Cobra. Power Chords sound just as brutal on either amps(gotta love those 5ths)...its just a different kind of "brutal" I suppose you can say. Power Chords on the PB are more crunchy where as with the Cobra Id say they have alot more body "oomph".

As far as frequencies go concerning these amps..here is what Else I noticed/found. The Cobra has a very full sound and alot of frequencies which in my opinion is what makes it cut through soo well. Think of an EQ where the sliders create a smooth look. For the PB the FREQuencies are more "choppy". Think of an EQ where the sliders are spikey and up, down, up down. I hope that all makes sense...

Ok thats all I got to say for now cause my hands hurt from all this typing lol...Id also like to say that remember that this is all my OPINION and it is what I noticed and found. I tried to be very unbiased when describing both amps as I truley do like both amd would love to get a PB to go along with my Framus someday when I has more $$.

KYLE

Kyle, I've found that the amp can get muddy when using the V30's because of the Midrange bump they have. I can't even set my Mids on the Crunch Channel more than 10:00 before the sound becomes to fat and round. It could have something to do with my PUPS too though as I heard that Dragon 2's are middy sounding. I've been dialing it back alot more now and I've found I need less presence to cut through without all those mid frequencies so That alos eliminated a bit of the Distortion sizzle a high presence setting can give you. My solution is to get some Speakers with less mids and dial in more from the amp. You've got EMG's which are scooped to begin with so you are probably all set with them but the next time it sounds muddy try dialing them back a bit and see how that sounds. LATER!

• Members

DUDE the emg 81 sounds soo killer with the FRAMUS COBRA. I still want to mod my guitar to 18v and bypass the neck pump(ROLAND told me about this one.thanks again dude for that). I did the 18v mod to my guitar and I just didnt really dig it that much..also I didnt try it out for long, maybee I will have better luck this time around.

KYLE

• Members

Originally posted by ROTINPAIN

DUDE the emg 81 sounds soo killer with the FRAMUS COBRA. I still want to mod my guitar to 18v and bypass the neck pump(ROLAND told me about this one.thanks again dude for that). I did the 18v mod to my guitar and I just didnt really dig it that much..also I didnt try it out for long, maybee I will have better luck this time around.

KYLE

I love EMG's with the Cobra, I might slap some in my Les Paul because there's no way there goin in my PRS!! I'm looking for a similar PUP for that guitar that's passive. I can get EMG's really really cheap because my Brother's endorsed by them so why not? Those PUPS are fairly scooped in the midrange so that's probably the reason you dont have any problems cranking the mids up on the amp with the v30's like I do. My PRS Pups have alot of mids, and I'm gonna 86 em;)

Archived