OT: Metallica...in Major key(s)!

cloudnine

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

I have to ask the same question:confused:

If Im correct, the difference between a major 3rd and a minor 3rd is a half step so I dont see what the big deal is..

Kage

Indeed the difference between a minor 3rd and a major third is a half step. But then you've now got your major 2nd and major 6th.. and major 7th..

It's more about the overall mood of a key. If you played a minor ii v i progression (say Bm7b5 E7 Am7) and a major ii v i progression (say Bm7 E7 AM7) you'll hear how it sounds different. You can also try it with a i iv v progression (say Am7 Dm7 E7 and AM7 DM7 E7)

To me it's more about the movement of the voices in the song that gives it a mood/vibe, not just a single note.

• Members

Originally posted by adamquek

Indeed the difference between a minor 3rd and a major third is a half step. But then you've now got your major 2nd and major 6th.. and major 7th..

It's more about the overall mood of a key. If you played a minor ii v i progression (say Bm7b5 E7 Am7) and a major ii v i progression (say Bm7 E7 AM7) you'll hear how it sounds different. You can also try it with a i iv v progression (say Am7 Dm7 E7 and AM7 DM7 E7)

To me it's more about the movement of the voices in the song that gives it a mood/vibe, not just a single note.

I think I just started foaming in my mouth.

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

LOL I was thinking the same thing. Its like gibberish to me..

Just play it, when you hear it it'll make more sense:) Here's some tab to help

Minor ii v i

-x-x-x--

-6-5-5--

-7-7-5--

-7-6-5--

-x-7-x--

-7-x-5--

Major ii v i

-x-x-x--

-7-5-5--

-7-7-6--

-7-6-6--

-x-7-x--

-7-x-5--

Minor i iv v

-x-x-x--

-5-6-9--

-5-5-7--

-5-7-9--

-x-5-7--

-5-x-x--

Major i iv v

-x-x-x--

-5-7-9--

-6-6-7--

-6-7-9--

-x-5-7--

-5-x-x--

• Members
Originally posted by telephant

IM pretty sure its a Soundgarden song originally. Check out the Cash cd its on:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000062X9G/ref=m_art_li_4/103-3671244-3685410?v=glance&s=music

There is actually 3 or 4 cover songs on this album... And Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers were the backing band on it...
:eek:

You're right brother. Funny, but I heard that it was a Cash song when Badmotorfinger originally came out. Looks like I'm just a dumbass.

Archived