I Hate Gas Prices

freakk guitarist

• Members

Originally posted by constrict

If this was 30 years ago people wouldn't put up with this {censored}, they'd boycott gas/cars. People don't stand up for anything anymore sadly, instead we just sit here and take it up the ass.

I'm guessing you know nothing of the 1970's gas rations? The oil shock? This did happen 30 years ago and everone was saying the same bull{censored}. Pipe the hell down and wait for it to be over.If you think a multi billion dollar industry gives two {censored}s about what you vote on some web site, you are sorely mistaken.

-Joe

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by ranalli

Let the prices soar....I'm serious.

The reason why we haven't been looking for alternate energy sources as hard as we should is because gas has been fairly low in price for a long time.

Let the prices soar and people will finally get the message and start voting for people who are going to encourage this.

Cheap gas prices make everyone complacent and less likely to look out for the future.

I've been saying this for year. I used to live in NYC where there was good mass transit. Now I live in Florida where eveyone is obsessed with driving. It somehow defines their "worth" to have a nice fancy car and to drive themself everywhere in it. No carpooling, no riding busses, etc. It's crazy. Cities over a certain population should be required to implement an acceptable mass transit. And no... I'm not talking about a bus system with stops few and far between and those mostly in the hood.

Mass transit should not be only for those who can't afford cars. it should also be for those who choose to be resonsible and want to save money.

ALSO.... we have alternative fuel sorces for automobiles. Heck... they have prototype cars that run on water and do some separation to get hydrogyn as the fule and the biproduct is oxygen! What about corn? What about better hybrids?

There's a group in CA that have modified hybrids to get 250-600 mpg by adding battery packs and plugging them in at night.

The problem is we have gas lobbyist keeping inovation from happening and we have been too comfortable to challenge them. Well... now's the time to challeng them. It's time to demand from the auto manufacturers to start working on alternatives.

HOWEVER... we have to support the manufacturers. WE have to buy from the makers who are inovating these technologies. We have to show them we are ready by purching hybrids and alternatives.

We need to demand from our cities that we get good mass transit. I would gladly ride my bike a few blocks (or even a few miles) to hop on light rail to go shopping or to work or whatever.

Ok... my rant is over. I DO NOT want the government just to step in a force lower prices or subsidize the fuel companies. That's just encouraging the same old crap. We need change.

-Tom

• Members

Originally posted by tlester

Ok... my rant is over. I DO NOT want the government just to step in a force lower prices or subsidize the fuel companies. That's just encouraging the same old crap. We need change.

This is exactly the point I was making. Low gas prices fixes nothing.

• Members
Originally posted by shredhead666

Yeah, but you guys have an overall higher cost of living and your salaries reflect it. It's different in the US.

Plus you guys have no where to drive. LOL.
:p

Q: What's the difference between an American vs. a European?

A: Europeans think 100 miles is a long way away, Americans think 100 years is a long time ago.

:)

• Members
Originally posted by kannibul

I also had an interesting thought the other night...

If fuel prices keep going up, it will be harder to import and export goods.

This is a GOOD thing, in a sense, because that means that China will have less of a chance to compete with our own economy - perhaps even the global scale as well, if the US isn't the only country feeling the pinch.

Why do I think it's a good thing? Well, eventually, people will get fed up with paying all that extra money to buy something made in china, and start business locally.

In an odd sort of way, in the end, slowly running out of oil may just be what keeps us from going out in a bad way....

Maybe I didn't explain my point of view on this, but I think it's an interesting thought, and I think I'll dwell on it for a while
:)

Interesting.... and you may be right....

-Tom

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul

20MPG is actually not bad for an SUV...

I actually average 18-19 for everyday driving,....but get a little over 20 mpg for highway driving. Still,...it's not good. The "for an SUV" doesn't change that fact that 20 mpg is just not good.

That said, my selfish side loves driving it.

• Members

Nice to see some new info around here, so approx 50% is refining costs? That's really interesting if true. Of course, it also implies it's in the refining companies' best interests to keep the supply of refineries low and the profits high, no?

Originally posted by davenit

The cost per barrel is only a part of the cost. It cost about as much to refine it. The problem the world is having right now isn't getting the oil. The mideast is pumping as much as they ever have. The problem is getting it refined to the different grades. With out more crack catalysts out there the oil just sits in the barrels and can't get processed for consumption.

One of the reasons gas prices were climbing BEFORE the hurricane was that on March 23rd of this year a major refinery in Texas blew up. That seriously upset the amount of oil that could be processed. Believe it or not the US is the largest oil converters in the world. I am not sure of the exact number of crack burners in the US but it is a small enough number that 1 can really hurt production.

Refining is the issue. The shutting down of the oil rigs in the gulf is expounding the issues facing the nations gas supply and it is being used by the Oil barrons as an excuse to raise the cost of gas. Eventually it will trickle to other areas of the world, not just the US...

• Members

Originally posted by freakk guitarist

how long before an alternate source of energy can be used efficiantly? and at a price everyone can afford? does anyone know? whats the progress on Hydrogen cars?

Putting Ethanol in gasoline wouldn't be bad...IMO.

Then again, I don't know what harm that could cause - but I seem to remember that there was a time in history where you could buy regular gas, and gas mixed with ethanol.

Archived