I Hate Gas Prices

freakk guitarist

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You think you're feeling it at the pump. Well friends, that's only the beginning. Food (trucking/delivery), Airfare, Utilities (electric), infrastructure/construction costs are going through the roof. Why? Because asphalt is a by-product of refining oil.

Alternative methods: Hydrogen, Gasahol (ever heard of this form of alcohol), what about SOLAR energy people!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

I definitely agree we should get off the middle east oil....that's been bad news for a long time now.

We should be independent when it comes to oil...however, nobody is going to bother looking into alternate energy sources with cheap gas prices....it's just not going to happen.

This country is not pro-active at all when it comes to any kind of issue....oil and alternative energy is no exception.

From what I have been told the US does not get any oil from the Middle East. Where does it come from then? Where are we getting our domestic quantity? Alaska? Gulf? TexASS?

Gas in the Middle East is Cheap - why can't we get it there and barge it over?

I voted for BUSH but it's time to come clean Mr. President!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have deep pockets, owned a MLB team - but you're not gonna live 4ever. Let's do something about this now, before my kids have to suffer through worse times.

• Members

Gas Prices... (Do something about it!)

Voice your opinion to the Dept. of Energy...

http://gaswatch.energy.gov/

voice your opinion there! you can tell them how much you're paying for gas and how ridiculous it is. I don't give a {censored} how much it is in Europe, we're not them and we shouldn't have to put up with this bull{censored}.

:mad:

• Members
Originally posted by constrict

you can tell them how much you're paying for gas and how ridiculous it is. I don't give a {censored} how much it is in Europe, we're not them and we shouldn't have to put up with this bull{censored}.

:mad:

That's the right.....the US should be the only country getting gas for cheap....moron.

• Members

That's the right.....the US should be the only country getting gas for cheap....moron.

no, but we've been getting it cheap for a while so why the {censored} should we have to pay more just because of the hurricane that happend over 1000 miles away from me? I don't drive an SUV, I have a compact car and I still find the price ridiculous.

isn't it great than as our country drowns, they are over in Iraq dying for {censored}?

er.. wait... for oil.

I'm so glad about this.

I hate bush.

• Members

Ranalli, not really a moron. Gas is costing about 2.41 to produce as of a day ago.

The question isn't why we should be the only country getting gas cheap but why the other countries cost so much. How much of those prices are taxation? How much of it is artificially inflated to keep the amount of vehicles down to help gridlock?

Now our cost is different since we refine, so I don't know how much of an impact that would have on European countries that don't, but I would doubt (highly) that it is the $3.49 left over.

Gas companies are reporting all time record profits on a percentage (not dollar) basis. It will just continue to escalate even quicker now with 19% increases on gas that was already in the tanks. The escalated prices we are seeing now per barrel don't affect our use for months but we are seeing increases immediately.

Gas isn't produced on demand. It is stored. So the increases are going straight into the profit column.

Our gas price is horrible. Other countries are even more outrageous. But the argument shouldn't be "we have gotten off cheap" because the oil companies are thriving. The argument should be "are we being pillaged"? Not just in the US but on a global perspective...

Doesn't help that the Pres is knee deep in bed with the American Oil cartels either...

• Members

And Ranalli I will add...

Letting prices sore is not an answer to getting alternative power sources online. The cost would be too high for business. Airlines, Trucking, and all businesses that rely on power would be hit way too hard. Wages and jobs would be lost.

The people who make decisions won't be affected by surging power costs, you, me and anyone else 'lower' on the power ladder are the ones affected.

I am 100% behind alternative fuel development but NOT if it is brought about by widespread hurt of the economy...

• Members

Gas Prices... (Do something about it!)

Voice your opinion to the Dept. of Energy...

voice your opinion there! you can tell them how much you're paying for gas and how ridiculous it is. I don't give a {censored} how much it is in Europe, we're not them and we shouldn't have to put up with this bull{censored}.

Well, Europe and the USA, as well as the rest of the world, buys crude oil on the international market. You can whine all day and call for price caps etc. But truth is, if the consumers in the US don't pay market price the oil is sold elsewhere. There's not much to do about that because all western countries depend on foreign oil imports.

• Members
Originally posted by nakedzen

I just can't understand why you're whining about high gas prices. It's about $6,25 a gallon here in Finland. And people drive to work as always.

Yeah, but you guys have an overall higher cost of living and your salaries reflect it. It's different in the US.

Plus you guys have no where to drive. LOL. :p

• Members

If this was 30 years ago people wouldn't put up with this {censored}, they'd boycott gas/cars. People don't stand up for anything anymore sadly, instead we just sit here and take it up the ass.

In Germany gas prices rose about 40% last year and fuel consumption decreased just by 5%. That makes me assume gas prices don't hurt most people THAT much yet. They're still speeding, buying big cars etc.

Btw. everyone and their mother (me included) is whining anbout gas prices in europe, too. It's not like we enjoy paying more and more and more...

• Members

Originally posted by davenit

Gas companies are reporting all time record profits on a percentage (not dollar) basis. It will just continue to escalate even quicker now with 19% increases on gas that was already in the tanks. The escalated prices we are seeing now per barrel don't affect our use for months but we are seeing increases immediately.

Gas isn't produced on demand. It is stored. So the increases are going straight into the profit column.

That was a good point. The oil companies are sucking the money out of our pockets.

• Members
Originally posted by shredhead666

Yeah, but you guys have an overall higher cost of living and your salaries reflect it. It's different in the US.

Plus you guys have no where to drive. LOL.
:p

+2 the average european country is the size of like NY, shipping goods from one end to the other isn't much compared to say a trip from CA to NY 3000+ Miles.

The truth is our government should have made an honest effort towards alternative fuel in the 70's when the first oil crisis hit. If they had done that, we wouldn't be in this siutation now. Shoot, we probably wouldn't even be in Iraq either.

• Members

Originally posted by jamison162

You think you're feeling it at the pump. Well friends, that's only the beginning. Food (trucking/delivery), Airfare, Utilities (electric), infrastructure/construction costs are going through the roof. Why? Because asphalt is a by-product of refining oil.

Alternative methods: Hydrogen, Gasahol (ever heard of this form of alcohol), what about SOLAR energy people!!!!!!!!!

It takes fossil fuel to run the mining equipment to extract the platinum required in a Hydrogen fuel cell and, it takes internal combustion engine tractors to produce the crops to produce ethanol and biodiesel, and you need mining equipment to extract the copper and silver used to make solar panels, plus those resources are just as finite as oil. This is not going to be as easy to fix at all, though I do agree the time is NOW to figure SOMETHING out.

• Members

Originally posted by nibsborg

Jaheezus.......

Have you ever taken...or been awake during...high scool economics?

Supply and demand.....the market drives the price of the commodity.

You know about the demand......there are huge problems with supply.....mostly by our own doing.

I took college economics and you are absolutely right. The problem here is that we aren't talking about a Tyler or a Dumble. We are talking the life blood of our country and the world

• Members

Originally posted by Syrnett

I disagree, and this is the one area I listen to and believe conspiracy theory stuff (within reason)...

The alternatives are already developed IMO... and Big Oil generally buys them and supresses them.

-Erik

+1

I believe that they have had the alternatives very earlly on in automoblie production and that is what happened

• Members

Let the prices soar....I'm serious.

The reason why we haven't been looking for alternate energy sources as hard as we should is because gas has been fairly low in price for a long time.

Let the prices soar and people will finally get the message and start voting for people who are going to encourage this.

Cheap gas prices make everyone complacent and less likely to look out for the future.

Soaring gas prices will increase the costs of everything.

One of my customers has a military contract. They make plastic communication hubs for the Humvees. They're locked into a set price with the gov. Plastics are getting more expensive. He can do one of 2 things: continue to produce for this contract and lose tons of $'s or go out of biz.

It's screwing me bigtime. I have a delivery biz. I'm self employed.

Being self employed for 20+ years for me is definately not being complacent. I have to get off my ass every day and produce to earn a living. I put more effort into my day because I always have to produce and prove myself.

• Members

How can rifining affect the price of oil on a per barrel basis?
I agree with you on the nuclear solution, we have to go there.

Originally posted by davenit

I took college economics and you are absolutely right. The problem here is that we aren't talking about a Tyler or a Dumble. We are talking the life blood of our country and the world

Archived