Where is the New Orleans International Relief?

SGB

• Members

Nice SIG... Too bad you don't live that way...

Originally posted by FenderBoogie

The United Nations gave a statement. Translated from diplomatic talk into normal speach it went something like this.

Goodluck {censored}en dumb-ass moron, sucker. And by the way {censored} your mother too.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by JerryP

It's sad as hell that WE don't have more relief down there already for those people. Way too much time has passed. They need food, water, and a way out of that hell hole. There doesn't seem to be any problem getting reporters and cameras down there, where's the {censored}ing food and water?

Now you have the retards down there shooting at the people trying to help them. What a mess!

Jerry

I couldn't agree more. It's taking way too long to get the relief where it's needed.

• Members
Originally posted by g0lp

I don't know man....I've heard that there's supposedly loads up there --- my understanding is that the main problem has been the strength of the environmentalist lobby
:(

Yeah, it is estimated that there is 10.4 billion barrels of recoverable oil in ANWAR. The U.S. demand for oil is 20 million barrels per day.

You wouldn't want to cut the Middle East out of the equation.

Dale

• Members

Originally posted by Dale B.

Yeah, it is estimated that there is 10.4 billion barrels of recoverable oil in ANWAR. The U.S. demand for oil is 20 million barrels per day.

You wouldn't want to cut the Middle East out of the equation.

Dale

Dale, I'm glad to see you're O.K.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Dale, I'm glad to see you're O.K.

Thanks man. We hardly got anything here at all from the storm. It was mainly gusts of up to 50 m.p.h. with sustained winds between 20 to 25 m.p.h. We saw very little rain from it.

The Parish just to the east of mine is where the rain kind of started and it deteriorated rapidly from there on toward the storm when it was up in this part of the country. A lot of people don't realize that this storm had extremely stout winds of up to 100+ m.p.h. 175 to 200 miles inland. I've never seen anything like that before in my life.

I have family in Mississippi that are going to come over here to try to buy gas, but I doubt they will have any luck in doing so. Someone who owns chicken houses is trying to locate fuel in order to keep his chickens alive. If they lose their chickens, they will lose their source of income and be in pretty much the same shape as everyone else down here. There is gas over there at the stations, but there is no way to get it out of the ground because there isn't electricity.

Then, you look at the gas situation here. It's horrid. We haven't seen the mass price hike like some places I've seen, but I believe it's just around the corner here. A lot of people in this area drive 100+ miles to work and back a day. If there is a gas shortage, the local economy will dwindle down to nothing.

So, I'm physically fine and am extremely fortunate that this area wasn't hit like the other areas were over in Mississippi. If it would've come toward this direction, there would be even more devestation. Southern Louisiana is extremely flat and the winds would've been more or less "straight-line" until it made it here. Southern Mississippi is covered with hills and tons of trees. The population density in Louisiana is much higher than Mississippi as well. Mississippi has around 2.5 million people with a far greater land area. Louisiana has anywhere from 4.6 to 5 million people in a much smaller area. It could've been worse.

The main thing is the anxiety in this area. I'm dealing with it. My neighbors, co-workers, friends, people in the town, people in the whole area are all dealing with this. The rest of the nation will feel this as well. Some people may state that they don't care about this and go about their every day lives like nothing else has happened. Well, we all will feel this fairly heavily when the IRS comes calling at the end of the year and we're definitely feeling it at the gas pump.

It's just a tough situation. When you hear that communication isn't good in New Orleans, it is the truth. We can hardly use our cell phones up here due to all of the circuits being busy. We can hardly make phone calls out of the Parish due to the circuits being busy.

My cousin is down there with the State Department of Wildlife & Fisheries on Search & Rescue missions. He said said that it was "Just Bad" down there.

They sent in the State Police last night and things were much calmer today from what I've heard, but the main focus of the media now is getting the people who are there the help they need.

Dale

• Members
Originally posted by SGB

I for one think that it's appalling that when any natural disaster occurs in the rest of the world that nations jump at the chance to come to the aid of the people involved in the disaster. The United States is always the nation that gives the most in these situations! When the tsunami hit in the pacific we even got criticized by Muslim nations (and there biggest supporters, U.S. Democrats!!) because according to them we weren't giving enough or giving fast enough to satisfy them! So I ask everyone on the board, where are the pledges from other nations to help with OUR disaster? Does anyone know of even one offer to help from any nation?? I haven't heard a peep!
:rolleyes:

Moneys not the problem. There is plenty of it. Out military is spread thin and our gobernments priorities are screwed up

• Members
Originally posted by SGB

I for one think that it's appalling that when any natural disaster occurs in the rest of the world that nations jump at the chance to come to the aid of the people involved in the disaster. The United States is always the nation that gives the most in these situations! So I ask everyone on the board, where are the pledges from other nations to help with OUR disaster? Does anyone know of even one offer to help from any nation?? I haven't heard a peep!

Thank You neighbor, I was thinking that very thing tonight!!

• Members

I will just repeat what I wrote earlier incase it was not noticed

The State Department said offers so far had come from Belgium, Canada, Russia, Japan, France, Germany, Britain, China, Australia, Jamaica, Honduras, Greece, Venezuela, the Organization of American States, NATO, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, South Korea, Israel and the United Arab Emirates.

• Members

Originally posted by Big Hair

I will just repeat what I wrote earlier incase it was not noticed

The State Department said offers so far had come from Belgium, Canada, Russia, Japan, France, Germany, Britain, China, Australia, Jamaica, Honduras, Greece, Venezuela, the Organization of American States, NATO, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, South Korea, Israel and the United Arab Emirates.

You don't get it Mark. The media in the US has got to maintain that GW is *against* the world with his pollicies. They would never report about international support. Not very loudly, anyway, that kind of news doesn't reconcile with their "script".

People, that can reason things out, know that offers have come

• Members

Yeah, alot of countries offered help. I really don't know why some of you feel that you are left alone, i'm sure that isn't true. But look at it this way, even U.S. troops nearby needed alot of time to move in. Now you really cant expect someone from, say Belgium, to be there sooner...

• Members
Originally posted by ThomasD

Isolationism, yeah that's what got us Texas and the entire southwest all the way to California, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Phillipines (until we granted them independance,) etc, etc, etc...

Oh yeah, and there was that little known event called The Great War until it was superceded by WWII...

Yeah, prior to 1941 we were global a global wallflower.

Isolationism was our policy until WWII. Isolationist doctrines proclaim that involvement will only happen if it affects us on a geographic or economic front. The wars that you mentioned fall into that category. The acquiring of land through attrition is not contrary to Isolationist policies if it will help the greater good of the nation.

Before WWII the US gave squat to the rest of the world. That's why we were so self sufficient up until that period. Now with all the softer feelings all manufacturing has gone over seas. Our government has sold us a bill of goods. Nafta, WTO (IMO two of the most treasonous bills ever to come out of Washington) and a plethora of other 'world market' bills have all but ruined the manufacturing sector in this country. Oh and Walmart has also helped this process... LOL.

Instead of being a country that relied solely on itself, we are now a country that relies on every one and if we were shut off from the rest of the global market our country would be in shambles.

The ruining of a country in 60 years. Not bad. Politicians should be proud...

• Members

I'm really shocked by what's going on! Why are people starting to shoot at each other instead of helping? Why do so many people have guns but nothing to drink? Why do 10.000s have to stay in stadiums, are there no churches, schools, town halls, tents and people who volunteer to take a family into their houses? Why isn't New Orleans evacuated three days into the flooding? Surely there are enough cars and busses in the US. How many helicpoters are in the US that could have evacuated ten thousands in the meantime?

Instead of whining about how little aid was offered by others (which isn't true anyway), why don't you complain that obviously not everything that is possible is done by the US government and US citizens?

• Members
Originally posted by hal9000

Well, there are already two raffles on HCAF so we can contribute on our own, and let's pray that continued donations pour in from everywhere:

Come on fellas, for the price of a gyro ($5) you'll be entered to win a sweet rig drawing or logo designed custom for you. $5 can help feed a family and every little bit helps. See my sig for details.

• Members
Originally posted by SFW

I believe that we can help ourselves. We don't need help from the rest of the world. We have always managed to rebuild. It is our way.

As for the FEMA and NO comment... so why don't you go show them how it's done? You have obviously never lived through a hurricane. You cannot prepare for an event like that. In reality, a several kiloton bomb just went off in our Gulf Coast. Now all that

• Members
Originally posted by Shawn Lutz

btw...I have donated already to several charities as well as getting matching donations through the company I work for. I also have given direct donations; we collected money made a Sams club run are taking 2 truckloads of supplies to Reunion arena to help.

You're a good man Shawn Lutz. :)

I don't care if the money is given to my raffle, Jim Soloway's, or direct to the cause (It's all going to the same place anyway). I just hope people will be compelled to give.

For my own part I can now offer matching donations from my company as long as you go through me.

• Members

I really, really sympathise with the afflicted in America's south, I truly do. But the vision and stories we are seeing across the world re: looting and shootings and so forth really is mind boggling. This is not something one sees post-disaster in any of the free world. These stories are reflecting badly on the reputation of the American psyche in the rest of the world. It's rap wasn't great as it was. I'm not trolling or looking for an argument, I'd actually like to hear what those in the US feel about it. As one poster basically said, where are the priorities for someone if they have a gun yet don't have the means to escappe the city when the original evacuation was called.

And FYI

The United States is always the nation that gives the most in these situations!

The US doesn't give the most, nowhere near. For one, the tsunami relief the US contribution was minimal compared to the contributions of other countries.
Just an aside to make you think twice about posting such things (as if the facts stated already haven't given you reason enough to already).

Archived