OT...how do the TV stations CRANK the commercials?

17 Tubes

• Members

Watching the Bucs game here in Tampa bay...and they went to a commercial and I damned near jumped out of my seat! They crank up the volume so much! Go back to the game and I can barely hear it.

I think we need to market a cable line limiter...but I think there's something out there already....

Where's Terje when you REALLY need him!:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by Skr4ped

I used to have a Magnavox TV with "smart sound" that evened out the volume.

Now I use the volume button on my remote
;)

Im always reaching for my remote too ... they do the same thing with the volumes here!

It's fricken annoying!

• Members

It's a lot like PA systems in a way, when there is a great deal of compression and limiter across all the frequencies the only to make something louder is to look at it backwards; Make the mix extremely over compressed so that the signal is smaller in order to sneak under the limter/AGC at which point the AGC/Limiters on the broadcast channel will then actually increase the volume even more until it reaches the ceiling of the limiters.

For example; If your sound engineer is mixing your band at a club where the house engineer has a compressor/limiter inserted across the mains mix you usually cannot control how loud the level is. If you sub mix to a stereo buss, strap a compressor across it and squeeze it really hard you can sneak in under the house compression and the mix will be a great deal louder.

For what it's worth (time for coffee this morning--ha, ha)

Trace

• Members

also take into consideration that some commercials come locally from the cable station or network station, some come from the national network. In the event that they're being aired from a local location (generally the most likely origin for problems) the station will punch in their own signal on top of the network one, and if their signal's volume isn't balanced with the network's the local commercials can either be twice as loud or quiet as a whisper.

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps

It's a lot like PA systems in a way, when there is a great deal of compression and limiter across all the frequencies the only to make something louder is to look at it backwards; Make the mix extremely over compressed so that the signal is smaller in order to sneak under the limter/AGC at which point the AGC/Limiters on the broadcast channel will then actually increase the volume even more until it reaches the ceiling of the limiters.

For example; If your sound engineer is mixing your band at a club where the house engineer has a compressor/limiter inserted across the mains mix you usually cannot control how loud the level is. If you sub mix to a stereo buss, strap a compressor across it and squeeze it really hard you can sneak in under the house compression and the mix will be a great deal louder.

For what it's worth (time for coffee this morning--ha, ha)

Trace

I'll have to read this again when my brain starts functioning. LOL!

BTW, another volume issue that seriously irritates me is DVD sound volume versus conversation volume. Why the {censored} is the music and sound so god damn loud and you can hardly hear what the actors are saying??? I need to ride the volume whenever I watch DVDs.

• Members

Originally posted by AnomalyXT

also take into consideration that some commercials come locally from the cable station or network station, some come from the national network. In the event that they're being aired from a local location (generally the most likely origin for problems) the station will punch in their own signal on top of the network one, and if their signal's volume isn't balanced with the network's the local commercials can either be twice as loud or quiet as a whisper.

That may have been the case with analog signals, but with digital signals used today, this wouldn't be relevant.

Then again, I don't know for sure how {censored} works, just this is how I understand it.

• Members

Originally posted by Def_Pearl_Pilot

I'll have to read this again when my brain starts functioning. LOL!

BTW, another volume issue that seriously irritates me is DVD sound volume versus conversation volume. Why the {censored} is the music and sound so god damn loud and you can hardly hear what the actors are saying??? I need to ride the volume whenever I watch DVDs.

Same here - I even have my center channel at +6db!

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul

That may have been the case with analog signals, but with digital signals used today, this wouldn't be relevant.

Then again, I don't know for sure how {censored} works, just this is how I understand it.

I make local commercials and work in a local tv station... sadly, many local stations aren't fully equipped or even properly wired, much like mine, and still use analog signal all over the place, even when digital is an option. I know a lot of bigger markets should be equipped and functioning on the standard equipment levels, but it's just not always the case.

• Members

Its a fact that commercials are actually 3db higher than the programming. Know why?

Often times people get up during commercials to the bathroom, kitchen, etc. The extra 3db is so people can still be brainwashed even if they're not directly in front of the TV.

I found this out from my buddy who went to Full Sail...it was one of the tidbits he learned in his post production class.

{censored}ed up...aint it...

• Members

Originally posted by Sty1es

Its a fact that commercials are actually 3db higher than the programming. Know why?

Often times people get up during commercials to the bathroom, kitchen, etc. The extra 3db is so people can still be brainwashed even if they're not directly in front of the TV.

I found this out from my buddy who went to Full Sail...it was one of the tidbits he learned in his post production class.

{censored}ed up...aint it...

Hes right. Bastards aint they.

Archived