Using Line 6 POD Live with rig for effects only?

rig-talk.com

• Members

Originally posted by Japetus

Chris...

Check out the Boss ME-50. It's an FX only unit...it's got some awesome FX on it.

One thing that is nice about the XT live though is that you have a backup in case your amp craps out - plug it direct to the PA and you can at least finish the gig.

Pete

• Members

how exactly do you set up a pod xt in the loop of your amp to use it for FX only? Does the send go into the imput and the out from an out in the XT?....I am curious becuase I might be able to simplify my rig greatly by using a pod XT in my amps loop(too bad the cobra doesnt switch on and off...but I do have the GCX looper)

THanks KYLE

• Members
Originally posted by ROTINPAIN

how exactly do you set up a pod xt in the loop of your amp to use it for FX only? Does the send go into the imput and the out from an out in the XT?....I am curious becuase I might be able to simplify my rig greatly by using a pod XT in my amps loop(too bad the cobra doesnt switch on and off...but I do have the GCX looper)

THanks KYLE

well you take the send from your amp to input of pod then output from pod to return of amp turn off amp sims.;)

• Members

Originally posted by ROTINPAIN

THanks KYLE

Yeah, what Jim (hmj) said. :) I actually have hooked my POD XT up in the loop before and it seemed to work great. But I only did it for a few minutes to test it. I've never done gigs with it.

Looks like I am trading my GMajor for a POD XT Live. Once I get it, I'll do plenty of tests with it in the loop of my DSL50 to see how it works. :)

• Members

I used to use a XTL in the loop for fx's. I compared it with a G-Major and liked the G-Major better so I sold the XTL and bought a G-Major. The quality of the fx from the XTL did not sound as good to my ears as the ones in the G-Major. Plus I like the channel switching relays, the Kill Dry, and the routing options in the G-Major.

I think if you compare the G-Major vs. the XT for fx and features....

the G-Major wins.

Both will get the job done.

Dont forget to get a 20 ft extension cord to plug the XTL's wall wart into.

• Members

I know this isn't what you what chris..

but I have always thought about getting the Line 6 Rack FX they had a few years ago...you can get them for pretty cheap now..and interfacing them all with MIDI.

There would be SO MANY fx with that setup. But, I use fx too much.

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

Not as bad as you'd think, since you have an amplified signal. It's going to be affected by a long cable more so on the front end than through the fx loop. I think anyways.
:)

Pete

I agreed with less loss after the preamp (line level)...but I'm using a 20 foot guitar cable before the preamp, two 20 foot sheilded cables in the loop, 3 foot speaker cable...that's 63 feet of cabling from guitar to speaker. :eek:

...but still sounds OK to me.

• Members

Originally posted by DannyM

I used to use a XTL in the loop for fx's. I compared it with a G-Major and liked the G-Major better so I sold the XTL and bought a G-Major. The quality of the fx from the XTL did not sound as good to my ears as the ones in the G-Major. Plus I like the channel switching relays, the Kill Dry, and the routing options in the G-Major.

I think if you compare the G-Major vs. the XT for fx and features....

the G-Major wins.

Both will get the job done.

Dont forget to get a 20 ft extension cord to plug the XTL's wall wart into.

I have no doubt that the GMajor sounds better for effects only. I don't know that for sure yet, but I believe it. I'm already starting to regret letting my Gmajor go. lol... I love that thing with a passion. Sounds awesome.

I'm just thinking about getting the POD XT Live to replace my GMajor AND POD XT desktop version. Kinda shrinking my rig down into just the POD XT Live for home recording and effects. I dunno... Looks good on paper, but we'll see how it works out.

Chris

Archived