Using Line 6 POD Live with rig for effects only?

rig-talk.com

• Members

I think there are a few people on here doing this. I'm talking about running a POD XT Live in the effects loop of a tube head or combo and using it for effects only. Who all is doing this and is it working good for ya? Any problems with levels or anything?

I'm considering selling my POD XT (desktop) and TC Electronic GMajor and replacing them with a POD XT Live.

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

But it must be a bit of a tone killer running two 20 foot cables for the loop...

Anything after the preamp is pretty much mute as far as tone sucking.....I have done it for years both ways and there isnt anything significant one way or the other....The preamp drives the signal perfectly to offset the cable runs....

Interestingly enough I have researched the same thing.....and when I went thru my "modeling stage" and had a XT Live I realized the thing would be great for that purpose alone....So now, I found the amp I like and considering the XTL as effects only but also considering the XT with a Midi-Mate and even a DL4/MM4 combination......

• Members

I use the Pod XT through the loop of my Ecstacy 101B for my jokey cover band. It works out really well and the only pedal I have on the floor is an old TS-808.

The delays, chorus and Verb all sound fantastic.

A much simpler setup than my normal rig, but if you don't need alot of control over your effects its perfect. Just change presets before the ssong starts and turn it off and on in the loop.

• Members

The truth is that I absolutely love the effects in the GMajor. It sounds incredible with every amp I've run it through... I can't live without a POD XT at home for recording and practice. I also have a Rolls MidiWizard controller just for the GMajor.

It makes sense that I could replace my current GMajor, POD XT and MidiWizard controller with a POD XT Live. Seems like a good idea... I dunno.

• Members

Originally posted by waffl3stomp

I use the Pod XT through the loop of my Ecstacy 101B for my jokey cover band. It works out really well and the only pedal I have on the floor is an old TS-808.

The delays, chorus and Verb all sound fantastic.

A much simpler setup than my normal rig, but if you don't need alot of control over your effects its perfect. Just change presets before the ssong starts and turn it off and on in the loop.

I've used my PODxt live with my XTC-C for FX only and found it worked well. I'm not much of an FX guy though. You can assign the volume pedal to any FX parameter pretty much to give you quite a bit of real time FX control actually.

I haven't tried it with the group of guys I'm playing with lately, I just bring my boss tu2 and dd5 and xtc head cause I'm lazy and there's an extra marshall 4X12 where we jam :p

Thump, I don't think you'll have problems with setting the levels or anything. The FX sound very good, plus you have the benefit of having the built in floorboard and the ability to use it at home for practice/recording. Pretty good bang for the buck IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

With my Bean PODxt, it sounds horrible in my 5150 loop. But, it sounds great in my Randalls loop. So, I dunno
:(

Ive heard the Live, and Pro have an extra input buffer though that helps with loop runnin'...

Are you the same dude that ALWAYS has problems with his 5150 loop? Someone on here keeps posting about a phasing tone when using anything in the loop, but I never had that problem with any of the 5150's I've owned. I mean, I've never tried the POD XT in the loop, but I have used numerous Boss pedals and a few rack devices with no problems.

• Members

Originally posted by '63-Strat

...Thump, I don't think you'll have problems with setting the levels or anything. The FX sound very good, plus you have the benefit of having the built in floorboard and the ability to use it at home for practice/recording. Pretty good bang for the buck IMO.

I agree. Plus, I'd have my backup "rig" right there at all times.

• Members

Originally posted by '63-Strat

Yep, if your amp craps out, you'd have the podxt live out already, wouldn't take too long at all to get things sorted live really.

Hell, I could just offer to trade my GMajor for a POD XT Live. I wonder if anyone would do that? They go for the same on eBay, so it seems fair. I might even throw in the MidiWizard to sweeten the deal. :)

I think I'll start a thread on that now. :)

Chris

• Members

Didn't agree with my Serial loop.....worked OK in my Paralell loop but couldn't use the Wah or stomp boxes. Believe it or not it's doing decent in front of my Randall tube head. I use the Wah, Reverb, Gate, stomp boxes. Modulation and Delays aren't working to well so I've got a Magicstomp doing those in the Serial loop if anyone cares lol......

• Members

Originally posted by SgtThump

Hell, I could just offer to trade my GMajor for a POD XT Live. I wonder if anyone would do that? They go for the same on eBay, so it seems fair. I might even throw in the MidiWizard to sweeten the deal.
:)

I think I'll start a thread on that now.
:)

Chris

Hmmm maybe I should do that trade? :confused:;)

• Members

Are you the same dude that ALWAYS has problems with his 5150 loop? Someone on here keeps posting about a phasing tone when using anything in the loop, but I never had that problem with any of the 5150's I've owned. I mean, I've never tried the POD XT in the loop, but I have used numerous Boss pedals and a few rack devices with no problems.

I think that was someone else ;)

My Pedals are all fine. I think I tried a rack unit awhile back and didnt have a problem. It just dont like my PODxt.

Do you have the common heard about problems with the G-Major?

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

I think that was someone else
;)

My Pedals are all fine. I think I tried a rack unit awhile back and didnt have a problem. It just dont like my PODxt.

Do you have the common heard about problems with the G-Major?

Oh, sorry! Nah, I've never had a single problem with mine. I don't even know all the gripes about it. What are the problems? Mine has worked great and never locked up or anything.

• Members

I think there are a few people on here doing this. I'm talking about running a POD XT Live in the effects loop of a tube head or combo and using it for effects only. Who all is doing this and is it working good for ya? Any problems with levels or anything?

I'm considering selling my POD XT (desktop) and TC Electronic GMajor and replacing them with a POD XT Live.

Chris

Yep, I use mine for all the fx loop effects (delay, chorus, verb) and it works well w/the JSX. However, the Wah is useless (it's too powerful, and will feedback all over the place) and the stomp box emulations like tube screamer, etc are pretty craptacular. No problems with levels, but the JSX does allow you to adjust the fx level. Only thing I noticed was a slight deadening of the high end, but I also use the gate on the XT also.

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

I use the PODxt Live this way as well, with several amps, in their loops....

sounds great...I like the effects in the PODxt Live.

But it must be a bit of a tone killer running two 20 foot cables for the loop...

Not as bad as you'd think, since you have an amplified signal. It's going to be affected by a long cable more so on the front end than through the fx loop. I think anyways. :)

Pete

Archived