Got me a Vox Valetronix

The Real MC

• Members

Picked up an AD60 head. These were discontinued by Vox but I found one last one at GC.

Damn, this is one versatile amp, probably the last one I'll need. I've heard a lot of modeling amps and this one is king because it's the only one that has a real tube power amp that changes its configuration depending on the amp it is modeling (class A, class AB, no feedback, negative feedback). I've played or heard in person most of the models and they sound pretty damn authentic, thanks to the tube power amp it even BREATHES like a tube amp the way it responds to touch, especially muted picking.

The FX are everything I'll ever need for guitar. I didn't really need the stereo version, I use this for gigging and for recording. If I'm recording, I have outboard gear that can give me stereo FX. One complaint is I can't get a real short delay using the tap delay button but that button is great nonetheless.

If you haven't already gotten the big VC-12 pedalboard, get one. This board opens up options that are valuable to the gigging guitarist, not just the sweep pedals either.

I don't use a cabinet onstage or for recording - I use a Hughes & Kettner Red Box with a passive load and go direct to the board. One less cabinet to carry around or take up room. The Red Box was a constant with my Mesa Boogie for years, and it sounds just as good on the Vox. That's why I wanted the head not a combo.

I'm in a rock band and have already nailed AC30 tones for Tom Petty tunes, Marshall plexi for ZZTop & Joe Walsh, Fender Twin for Nirvana "Come as you Are" and other clean rhythm. My brother is a more discriminating player than I am and he was blowing on the Marshall plexi model for a while, he really liked it.

I haven't heard a Soldano or Dumble in person, but these models sound nice. All in all, a huge variety of tones in one amp. This thing is incredible.

• Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

Picked up an AD60 head. These were discontinued by Vox but I found one last one at GC.

Where did you hear they were discontinued? Did they discontinue the 120Watt head as well?

BTW the direct out of the amp sucks for anything by scratch tracks, so just mic it up if you want to record. I had an AD60 head about about 2 months. Great amp. If it would have had a good direct out for silent recording and had I not wanted a Gretsch I would have kept it....

• Members

i havent heard a Dumble either..but the model on the vox sounds good...i still havent figured out a good setting for the Soldano..i have the 1x12 60w combo...and it came with the vc12(bought off ebay for $575 not counting shipping)..i think i hooked it up once to see if it worked lol..all in all not a bad amp

• Members
Originally posted by blackba

Where did you hear they were discontinued? Did they discontinue the 120Watt head as well?

BTW the direct out of the amp sucks for anything by scratch tracks, so just mic it up if you want to record. I had an AD60 head about about 2 months. Great amp. If it would have had a good direct out for silent recording and had I not wanted a Gretsch I would have kept it....

I believe they still have the 120 stereo head and both the 60 and 120 watt combos. I think there's 120 combo. But yes,they discontinued the 60 watt head. I bought a used one recently with the smaller foot controller.

• Members

Yes, the 120w head is still in production, as are the 120w and 60w combos.

Rudy, these amps are quite sturdy and well made. I'm an EE. I popped the hood and studied the build quality, these are quite good.

Max, I tried the Recto model at low gain - it didn't sound as close as the Fender Twin. I have a Boogie MkIIa, and the clean channel sounds better than the low gain Recto on the Vox. So you're probably right it was a Boogie, but the Fender model suffices on the Vox.

Yeah the direct out blows. That's why I use the Red Box which is plugged into the speaker output.

And I missed spelled "Valvetronix" in the thread title, can't edit titles. Oh well.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I believe they still have the 120 stereo head and both the 60 and 120 watt combos. I think there's 120 combo. But yes,they discontinued the 60 watt head. I bought a used one recently with the smaller foot controller.

I wonder why they discontinued the 60Watt version, at $450 new it was a pretty good deal.

• Members

Funny, ProSonic was my next choice. The problem was finding one to play. A week after I got the Vox, a Prosonic shows up in one of the stores.

I understood the Nirvana/Boogie. The only Boogie that the Vox modeled was the Rectifier, I wish they had done one of the Mark amps. The Rectifier didn't even exist in Nirvana's days, had to be a Mark amp or one of the Studio 22/50s.

• Members

I've got the AD50VT, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Great amp! I'd sure like that 60w head though, since it is so much more configurable with effects and storing of sounds etc.

Many are worried about reliability I hear, but I have no problems with mine.

See my website for video clips of my Vox in action.

• Members

I had one for about 4 months then grew irritated by it. Technically there is a tube there but it didn't do what I wanted. Some of the models were okay but nothing was Really ON.

I have though about getting a combo for practice again but then I always just find something esle better to do with my cash.

Enjoy it while you have it. It's a great platform for experimentation.

• 2 months later...

Archived