Good 1X12 for rock/metal and all things in between?

GreyMartyr

• Members

Ok, I'm sick of lugging 4X12's around and I want a nice stereo spread on stage without carrying two Genz Benz G-flex 2X12s so I figured I'd take it down to two 1X12s.

I run a Parker Classic > Mesa Triaxis > Digitech 2101 Artist >Mesa Simul 2:90.

The music of Divided Sky is very diverse texturally, from metal to rock to beautiful clean passages to ambient soundscapes, so I need a cab that can safely cover all that territory. Good tight bottom end (for a 1x12) as well as excellent projection and a "musical" voicing.

Any suggestions?

• Members

I just ordered two Ear Candy 1x12's w/ Eminence Legend 121's.

I'll let you guys know how they work out in about 4 weeks.

I do have to say however that Tim Paulsen, the designer/builder over there is one of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of giving money too. He took the time to really chat with me about what I was looking for and how to build a cab to perfectly suit that. So I'm as thrilled as can be without even getting the cabs yet.

Good service and a commitment to quality goes a long way.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Originally posted by GreyMartyr

Ok, I'm sick of lugging 4X12's around and I want a nice stereo spread on stage without carrying two Genz Benz G-flex 2X12s so I figured I'd take it down to two 1X12s.

I run a Parker Classic > Mesa Triaxis > Digitech 2101 Artist >Mesa Simul 2:90.

The music of Divided Sky is very diverse texturally, from metal to rock to beautiful clean passages to ambient soundscapes, so I need a cab that can safely cover all that territory. Good tight bottom end (for a 1x12) as well as excellent projection and a "musical" voicing.

Any suggestions?

Don't judge by the brand name, but I have a pair of sealed-back Crate Blue Voodoo 1x12s... They're loaded with well-broken-in Celestion Vintage 30 speakers and they sound amazing to my ears. I'm wanting a 2x12 cab to match the Trace Elliot head I recently bought, so I'm thinking about selling the Crates.

I used them for years with my old rack rig, which was based around the 2101 Artist and used a Mesa 20/20 to drive them. I've tried other cabs, including the matching 4x12 that I bought with the recent head purchase, but so far I've kept coming back to these 1x12s. Great bass response (especially using both cabs at once), and they handle cleans, blues, crunch, and saturated leads equally well, imo. They even do chugga chugga pretty well (though not like a 4x12, obviously), because of the closed back construction.

I think they have a "musical" voicing. PM if you might be interested.

Chris
:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I use the Mesa 1x12" listed in my sig and am very happy with it. Due to it's oversize design it sounds and looks big, so I've run into many people who think I use a 2x12". Cons are that it is pretty expensive for only a 1x12", and it is also very big for a 1x12" so it is not the most portable cab out there (still better than a 4x12" obviously!). I bought it because I couldn't afford a bigger cab at the time, but I'm happy with it and have no need to replace it.

Edit: it has the Black Shadow Celestion 90W speaker.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I posted this in the Randall MTS thread but I'll repost it here for those who haven't seen it:

I made these clips for EarCandy Cabs to showcase the custom 1x12's that they made for me. It just so happens that I am using my Randall RM4 through them, so I killed several birds with one stone.

I threw them together today in about an hour or so. They are to showcase the sounds, not the player (nice disclaimer to get me off the hook...ha!)

All clips were recorded directly to the board with no post EQ or dynamics processing.

Recorder: Yamaha AW16 Digital 16 Track.
Mic: Shure SM57
Guitar: Parker Fly Classic
Player: Sean Crisden of Divided Sky www.dividedskymusic.com
Amp: Randall RM4 preamp and Randall RT2/50 poweramp
Cabinet: EarCandy Sovereign 1x12, Eminence Legend 121 speaker.

http://www.dividedskymusic.com/sounds/EarCandy_Sov_Clean.mp3
Clean: Stock Blackface Module. Light chorus and reverb supplied by TC Electronic G-System.

http://www.dividedskymusic.com/sounds/EarCandy_Sov_Grit.mp3
Grit: Stock Plexi Module. Reverb supplied by TC Electronic G-System.

http://www.dividedskymusic.com/sounds/EarCandy_Sov_Classic_Crunch.mp3
Classic Crunch: Stock Plexi Module. Recorded dry with signal double-tracked and panned hard left/right.

http://www.dividedskymusic.com/sounds/EarCandy_Sov_Heavy.mp3
Heavy: Stock XTC Module. Recorded dry with signal double-tracked and panned hard left/right.

Archived