Brainstorming: Would you buy this?

• Members

With modularity without a dedicated UI, a lot of corners have to be cut in terms of what's possible in the synth. A highly conventional routing is probably dictated by the format, unless a software editor is in the cards to delve deeper - but then the interactions between the software and hardware probably require a lot of internal circuitry that raises costs, especially to accommodate expansion (purely guesswork on my non-engineer part, of course).

I think Dave Smith has managed to find a good middle ground with the Evolver, which achieves a pretty low price point but has enough routing flexibility to keep things interesting for people who know what they're doing with a synth. Still needs the editing matrix, however, which is very difficult to implement on consumer controllers.

• Members

The fact that it's useless without a computer running
the last OS it has drivers for
is a big downside. An expensive piece of hardware dependant on a particular computer platform and OS is "obsolescence in a box".

Unless you got the hardware at a great discount. ;)

True, you will need a computer running an OS not later than the last version of Windows Vista/Mac OSX that Clavia officially released an editor and drivers for. That is, until somebody creates an open source version of the G2 Editor, just like somebody created Nomad/NMEdit to replace the original Nord Modular Editor.

• Members

That is, until somebody creates an open source version of the G2 Editor, just like somebody created Nomad/NMEdit to replace the original Nord Modular Editor

Screw open source... Puppeh: there's another opportunity for you. Write a new G2 editor and sell it.

:thu::thu:

• Members

I think the concept of a polyphonic module is a good one. Lots of remote editors out there. Frankly it is a PITA editing a module in a rack case, especially tweak-heavy stuff like polysynths.

Look how many folks would love an A6 in a rack - and Alesis had one in the works until Numark took over.

I am seriously considering gutting the voicecards of my OB-SX and shoehorning it in a 3u rack format with new processor board implementing remote editing and patch storage.

• Members

An Andy-In-A-Box is pretty much my thinking, except no UI of its own, and expandable from just a few voices to a dozen or more. As has been pointed out, though, the hang-up might be in how to present a wide palette of mod routings to a common MIDI controller. I hate "scrolling" through source/destination selections via a knob. Worst use of a knob ever.

• Members

the trick to making it marketable would be to make the voice-card interface non proprietary. each voice card would be receiving control data either in digital or CV form, and would require some sort of input and output. in essence the host unit would just demux midi notes, and act as a digitally switched patch bay for the audio signals, so if you were to keep the interface between the voice cards and the host super standard, (1/4 inch TRS? xlr?) those extra slots that arent filled would be useable as midi to cv converters for other equipment, and would make the unit appeal even to those who wouldn't max out the slots.

• Members

Too bad for you they dropped the PolyEvo rack, because that's what that box was :poke:

post 36 before someone mentioned it!!

yes not expandable

it should have been up to 8 voice!!!

still looking to get one:thu:

• Members

not expandable? what about the poly-chain function?
:confused:

my guess is everyone agrees

that expandable means adding options to the same unit

as apposed to buying a second unit

a few synths have the chain a second unit feature

not sure why i'm explaining that but there you go...bone up:wave:

Archived