Hartley Peavey is either a moron or he is just trying to discredit the boutiquers...

NoirAbattoir

• Members

Whether you like his amps/guitars or not is irrelevant. The statements he made in a recent interview are pathetic. Either he truly believes what he is saying, or he is simply trying to discredit a cottage industry that threatens his bank account.

Here is the quote:

"The biggest frustration of my career is that people assume that you get more if you pay more. And that just isn't true. I went on the internet and saw some boutique amp company had basically built a Champ amp - way less than $100 worth of parts and a ridiculously simple circuit in a little chicken-{censored} box - that he's selling for $1,700! And there are probably people misinformed enough to pay that."

"I've never charged what the market would bear, only what I thought was fair. But because I'm telling the truth, some people belive I'm the one building the low-quality stuff. They want to believe the very guys who are sticking it up their ass."

If this guy actually believes what he said he is nothing more than a {censored}ing moron. I am betting it's just {censored}-slinging to discredit the boutique movement.... Gotta protect the fat stacks, you know.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

Whether you like his amps/guitars or not is irrelevant. The statements he made in a recent interview are pathetic. Either he truly believes what he is saying, or he is simply trying to discredit a cottage industry that threatens his bank account.

Here is the quote:

"The biggest frustration of my career is that people assume that you get more if you pay more. And that just isn't true. I went on the internet and saw some boutique amp company had basically built a Champ amp - way less than $100 worth of parts and a ridiculously simple circuit in a little chicken-{censored} box - that he's selling for $1,700! And there are probably people misinformed enough to pay that."

"I've never charged what the market would bear, only what I thought was fair. But because I'm telling the truth, some people belive I'm the one building the low-quality stuff. They want to believe the very guys who are sticking it up their ass."

If this guy actually believes what he said he is nothing more than a {censored}ing moron. I am betting it's just {censored}-slinging to discredit the boutique movement.... Gotta protect the fat stacks, you know.

Well,$1700 for a basic Champ-circuit amp is a little redic,don't you think? There isn't THAT much PTP wiring to do.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Well,$1700 for a basic Champ-circuit amp is a little redic,don't you think? There isn't THAT much PTP wiring to do.

Yeah, that's pretty insane really. But I find it hard to believe that any boutiquer is charging that for essentially a champ copy. There's got to be something that Mr. Peavey is leaving out....

• Members

Maybe he is just completely out of touch with what it means to actually build an amp by hand? I mean, all he does is hire some guys to design something and send it off to China to be built.

You do realize that most of Peavey's product is made in the USA? I'm not supporting what Peavey is saying because its an uninformed sweeping generalization, but your post kind of is too.

• Members

Setting up that straw-man was a little too easy for him, don't you think? Making uneducated generalizations like that on the amp industry shows what a moron he is.

• Members

Originally posted by LarryJ48

You do realize that most of Peavey's product is made in the USA? I'm not supporting what Peavey is saying because its an uninformed sweeping generalization, but your post kind of is too.

I don't believe you. If you could show me what percentage is made in the USA compared to what percentage is made in southeast Asian countries I may be persuaded. Remember, the year is 2005, not 1975.

• Members

I don't believe you. If you could show me what percentage is made in the USA compared to what percentage is made in southeast Asian countries I may be persuaded. Remember, the year is 2005, not 1975.

I can'T give percentages but I know the majority or their sound gear,except for the bottom-feeder stuff is USA made.

• Members

"Made in the USA" can mean many, many things, too. A lot of product is manufactured in asia and assembled here, and I believe, receive the made in USA (or iis it "built in USA"?... I forget) sticker.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/madeusa.htm

• Members

Setting up that straw-man was a little too easy for him, don't you think? Making uneducated generalizations like that on the amp industry shows what a moron he is.

I think he over did it here a bit but I can certainly sympathize with him. He is one of the best things to ever happen to the music/sound field,IMO. So many great innovations and a history of usable gigging gear at affordable prices.

• Members

I think he over did it here a bit but I can certainly sympathize with him. He is one of the best things to ever happen to the music/sound field,IMO. So many great innovations and a history of usable gigging gear at affordable prices.

Which is why I don't understand what's frustrating to him. He's got a HUGE marketshare with a TON of instruments and audio gear. I'm surprised he even knows what's happening on the boutique scene. The dude is loaded.

• Members

Here is the quote:

i agree with everything he said

• Members

I'm kinda in the middle on this one. On one hand I understand that to have something wired by hand, etc. takes time, etc. and requires the higher price tag. On the other hand, there are people out there trying to make more than their fair share.

A good example is Marshall with the Mode Four amp. The price on that was completely ridiculous and they could have easily brought that price down to a fair area. The Peavey JSX and 5150 are way cheaper than some high gain amps out there and sound alot better. On the other hand, a Peavey amp can't touch a Bogner, Soldano, etc.

I get his point but he could have been a little less (arrogant rich man) about it.

• Members

i think they just started making a very small number of stuff in china 2-3 years ago.

• Members

He has a point... more expensive components doesn't necessarily equal better sound. PTP wiring certainly doesn't equal better sound. So why do people think more expensive amps sound better? It's all about the circuit design and selecting the right parts, as opposed to the most expensive ones.

• Members
Originally posted by Bob Savage

Which is why I don't understand what's frustrating to him. He's got a HUGE marketshare with a TON of instruments and audio gear. I'm surprised he even knows what's happening on the boutique scene. The dude is loaded.

Of course he lost his wife to cancer not long ago,which shouldn't matter for this but it may affect his attitude. He has tried to stay with affordable and competitive gear that is made in the US competing against the market that was using the cheap labor,etc of the companies using it,but has had no choice but to finally join it. He tried to support his dealer network by staying out of the internet selling as long as possible but finally had to join that as well. (weird thing is,my local dealers actually raised their true selling prices to "compete" with net pricing) I'm guessing that perhaps he is a bit disappointed with having to do all this to compete in the current economics world. But I don't think his beef should be with boutique makers.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

I think his frustration started with companies more on his scale and now he's just venting. I guess it's subjective, but is a TSL or a Twin reverb reissue really built that much better than an XXX or something. I would say they're about the same strictly talking about build quality, maybe the XXX is better. But the Peavey name off of this board, can be associated to a greater degree with low quality stuff, while (off of this board) Fender and Marshall are the brands guys save their whole lives for.

That said I think he's 100% wrong to point his frustration at the small builders. But if I were him I'd be frustrated that I was building some products equal or greater to Marshall/Fender and having to fight for respect. Especially since when it comes to the low end stuff, the peavey's are way better. SS Marshall vs SS Fender vs SS Peavey, the peavey is usually the way to go.

Some generalizations sure, but my opinion... :D

• Members

Of course he lost his wife to cancer not long ago,which shouldn't matter for this but it may affect his attitude. He has tried to stay with affordable and competitive gear that is made in the US competing against the market that was using the cheap labor,etc of the companies using it,but has had no choice but to finally join it. He tried to support his dealer network by staying out of the internet selling as long as possible but finally had to join that as well. (weird thing is,my local dealers actually raised their true selling prices to "compete" with net pricing) I'm guessing that perhaps he is a bit disappointed with having to do all this to compete in the current economics world. But I don't think his beef should be with boutique makers.

That's very unfortunate, I didn't know about him losing his wife.

Anyway, I still believe worrying about the guy building a champ clone in his garage (most likely) is a waste of energy. Even company's like Bogner who have been around for quite a while are fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of Peavey. If he wants to get emotional about something, it should be the practices of those in direct competition with his company. That's how business works. If and/or when a company who's selling $1500 champ clones starts moving into the big production picture, then he should start re-evaluating portions of his business model.

Anybody who has seen the size of the Peavey "display" at NAMM understands the size of Peavey. Granted, they're no Yamaha, but they're HUGE.

• Members

Originally posted by buddy7168

That said I think he's 100% wrong to point his frustration at the small builders. But if I were him I'd be frustrated that I was building some products equal or greater to Marshall/Fender and having to fight for respect.

This is what I'm saying. He needs to focus on those who are in direct competition.

Of course, perhaps this quote was one small portion of a larger interview where that's exactly what he was doing. I don't know where this quote came from or what it's context is.

Archived