How many of your boards do you actually use?

Tomkeen

• Members

Do you have a buyer for the JD-990 yet? If not PM me... I may be interested.

Yes I do. I think you wouldn't want mine anyway though, it's european u_u

If you do want it and my buyer doesn't, I'll let you know :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, the Hollow Sun programs are generally much better than the Alesis programs. Not hard to do the update at all. There's even a video that shows how to do it:

I recommend getting the commercial Hollow Sun "Nebulae" package. I use those pad sounds a lot - they do sound a bit early 90s at times, but the FS1R pads especially are very very nice.

If you haven't used the Hollow Sun patches and if you don't program the synth that much, it's no wonder you're selling it... the sounds that came originally from Alesis are crap.

You're absolutely right... I haven't spent much time with the Fusion. I'm not in a desperate need to sell it, but if someone made me the offer I'd probably let it go. My complaint with the Fusion, isn't really the stock sounds... some of the VA sounds I actually quite like. It's the navigation and IO that I really don't care for. I thought Roland's Fantom interface was confusing... the Fusion is just downright stupifying. Coming from a Triton, this synth could really use a touchscreen. Thanks. I'll definate add the Hollow sun sounds. I didn't pay much for it and I'll certainly keep it if I can see the potential.

The EX7 on the other hand I LOVE... but finding a real need for it in my setup is tough. I love the warmth, and especially control, given the three mod wheels. However I am at a road block programing it. I'm left with stock sounds and some freebies I downloaded... stuff I enjoy noodling with but no real need in my live (covers) or recording (ambient, synth, soundtrack) stuff. I'm not a purist when it comes to Rhodes, piano or organ... I'm more in velvety love with ambient and industrial sounds. Part of the reason I have no love for my Fantom. So a JD-990 might be a nice addition. The EX7 can do all of that... I just lack the noodling knowledge to create new noise on it.

• Members

I tend to use all my gear. If something doesn't get used, it means it's irrelevant to my style and has to go (except the FC7 expression pedal, which I don't use much but that's only because at the moment I have no room to use it conveniently). I don't want to keep more pieces of equipment than I'm able to play at one time.

My rig is very limited but it still gives me an infinite pallete of sounds that I love. I can't cover all the grounds in electronic music but I've always been wondering what makes other ppl believe they have to be able to do everything :confused: I live in my small cave, where there are no electronic music genres and music flows in real time.

I would be delighted to hear about some live electronic music artists but there seem to be none (those who call themselves live electronic acts, mostly trigger pre-recorded stuff live:lol:), so maybe my little cave has some purpose in the world.

I owned various synths (digital and analogue) but at the moment my electronic rig consists of Yamaha DX7 keyboard, which synthesis soon will be extended by an analogue modulation instrument from Electro Harmonix.

• Members

I go through phases of 'getting into' certain synths I own. The Korg Trident and Waldorf Q have had a very good run lately, two extremes that compliment each other rather nicely.

I must confess, JD800, MKS70, D-550 & Wavestation A/D have been a little neglected over the past couple of weeks.

I think its about time to spend some time with monsieur OB12. In fact, im about to reach over and fire her up right now!

...... Oooh! lots and lots and lots of little sparkley Leds. :love:

• Members

300euro-ish.. I'll just put it on teh web then
:)

Yeah! I doubt you will have any trouble selling it.

But thanks for thinking of me first, I really am in no position at the moment with my present situation to buy any more synths. Even the LP (that I sold my Indigo for) has been shelved.

Tbh, I have more synths than i really need, so i should be content :lol:

• Members

I use all but it is all determined on what I am specifically doing, if practicing then the S90es or FP4 are usually front and center, more so the FP4 since I gig on that, when doing music production in the studio all the boards are fair game really depends on which instrument is giving me the desired inspiration at the time.......

Its a highly subjective process depending on my mood :evil::idea::eek::cry::lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Use Regularly:

Andromeda, Minimax, Novation Nova, Motif Rack, Evolver

Do Not Use Regularly:

EX-8000, MKS-50, Matrix 1000, K5000s, PolyEvolver, Pulse, Spectralis, Kaoss KP3

Want:

MKS-80

Want To Sell:

EX8000, MKS-50, Matrix 1000, PolyEvolver, Pulse

• Members

I recently added a Novation X-Station to my rig as my first "knobby synth" and am slowly exploring what I can do with simple filter sweeps and stuff like that in live settings. Truth be told though - the X-Station is still pretty much a fun noisemaker for me that I use on a couple of "synth-y" solos as opposed to something that I feel is an integral part of my sound.

:thu:

X-Station is great, perfect softsynth interface and a pretty fun VA to program too.

How much rewiring did you have to do to get it added into your rig?

• Members

I use my XS6 all the time but more for playing other hardware or software synths. I am planning on using my new Roland RD-700GX all the time and that will be for hard core practicing. My son is also using it for practice. The Voyager gets used for lots of noise making. My other stuff is seeing less use these days and is therefore currently under trade, getting ready for sale, or under consideration for trade or sale.

Now ask me how many of my software synthesizers I actually play ;)

• Members

I use all 4 of my synths. Novation ks4, korg microkorg, korg kaos pad3, korg kaoscillator. Before when I had max of 3 keyboard synths and no touchpad synths, used all 3. Likes current set up with 2 keyboard synths and 2 touchpad synths. Better then when had 3 keyboard synths. Sometimes also uses zoom rythumtrack234 drum and bass machine for when wanting that voodoo drum section type thing. Lol.

• Members

Use them all from time to time...some more studio.

Main Board: Ensoniq ZR76 - ALWAYS go to this. Not the best for live though (lack of performance settings), but I do use it and kind of get around the problem somewhat.

Korg Micro-X: mostly live

Ensoniq KS-32 - Now use mostly as a controller for my studio setup, driving an MR-Rack, Roland Sound Canvas, Alesis SR-16, and want to explore more of the softsynth world. The KS-32 has a fantastic feeling keyboard for me, and I really prefer it to many other weighted action controllers, and with some custom sounds is decent, but unfortunately no resonance for the filter so I can only go so far. Also it is 12-bit so not the most sparkly sound.

Just picked up a little Yamaha TG300, and used last week layered with the Motif at the church. Had a sweet little unison string patch "MAJESTY" in the single mode which worked very well.

Have a REAL bug for real analog again...Trying to get that "Tom Sawyer" FM-Modulated Resonant Filter Sweep Sound, and can kind of get close using the ZR-76's VCF effect. The more I am working the the ZR the more I love it, but wish it was set up more like the MR-Rack with the performance mode. Very limited real time control.

• Members

I just want to say that because of this thread I sold 2 of my underused synths, (EX-8000 and Pulse) and have a deal pending for a third. There are more to be photographed and put up for sale.

The hope is that this contraction will somehow increase production, since I have been known to patch surf.

Plus, it'll make any new purchase sit well with my wife...She usually doesn't hassle me if boxes go out before new ones comes in.

Thanks.

• Members

My most used would be the Wurlitzers, Rhodes, and Arp.

Least used is definitely the Poly 800. I haven't seriously used it since about 1987. I did the Moog slayer mod which accounted for about 6 minutes of use about 3 years ago. I rarely use the Hammond (especially now that it's not making any sound). E-mu Vintage keys doesn't get played because I'm too lazy to fart around with any MIDI anymore. I hate MIDI.

The rest go in stages. I've been playing my Pro-One a lot since I've added some Moogerfoogers to the arsenal recently. I've been routing the S&H to the P1's filter and it just sounds so gooey.

I'm keeping things analogue for the most part. It's a lot funner for me that way.

• Members

I've pretty much sold every keyboard I've had over the last year and now I only have one, the OASYS.

On top of that though I have the following modules....

Technics WSA1

Yamaha VL70m

V-Machine

KORG M3-M

KORG Wavestation SR

AKAI S5000

Yamaha QY700

No doubt some of those will go too very soon. Too may toys getting no use.

• Members

I recently added a Casio PX-320 digital piano to my arsenal that already included Yamaha CP300 and Kawai ES4 pianos. Guess what's getting the most use now? Yep, the Casio. The CP300 at 75 lbs stays in the studio (as it was always meant to) and it's my primary practice instrument. My 45lb. Kawai ES4 gets used in my serious gigs which means it stays in it's case ready to go or is on stage. But lately the 25lb Casio, which I meant to use mostly at my church, is staying in the car and getting used for jams, rehearsals, auditions, etc... I even set it up to play at my mother's house last week. It's become my handy go-anywhere piano, and it really sounds good when amplified. Nice to have something easy to tote and fun to play for horsing around with.

If you haven't heard the Casio PX-320 yet, I made this little demo using one of my home made MIDI files played back on the PX-320 with me playing live piano over it. Enjoy!

• Members

Hm, is there a really need for an M3 next to an Oasys? ^^'

Nope... which is why it's the only item that's not in my Studio. The M3-M is in my house connected to the family piano. I don't think I will ever use it for sequencing while I own an OASYS. It's not that there is anything wrong with it, it sound fantastic actually. It's just that the OASYS in a mix sounds super spacious, where the M3-M quickly sounds darker and muddy compared to the OASYS. It's quite an odd thing that's hard to explain. You would have to sit down an so some sequencing to know what I mean.

Archived