How many of your boards do you actually use?

Tomkeen

• Members

I'm actually going to box up the Novation and send it to the goddaughter to mess around with and see if she likes it. If not, I'll send it back when I'm up there in August.

I set up a bunch of performance splits on the Fusion to respond to the Xboard on a second tier. That way I don't have to use a submixer when I'm going into the board.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Piano, electro 3, Poly Evolver, Microkorg, Fantom-s all get used regularly. The Rhodes gets used on special occasions, though I've got it set up now and tuned up for an upcoming gig. The PC3x is sitting in the guest room, unused, and I'm not sure if I'll use it again.

I'm phasing out the Fantom and the Microkorg, and maybe I'll replace them with a v-synth.

I've got a Poly 800 in need of minor repair. Also a Yamaha p80 with busted keys. Also an old PF85. I don't play any of those. Also a studiologic controller, not played.

• Members

:thu:

X-Station is great, perfect softsynth interface and a pretty fun VA to program too.

How much rewiring did you have to do to get it added into your rig?

I haven't redone my custom cabling to fully integrate it into my rig yet. So, for the time being I just run a pair of instrument cables to my board. It works until I have time and money to rework the multipin connectors.

• Members

My setup is a bitch right now because of my space limitations, which means certain boxes get a lot less use than others. I only have room to have my Elektron boxes right in front me, and those get the most use. I have a few things that get turned on rarely, but I blame balancing work and teh woman over the last year or so for most of that.

Time and space. What more excuse do I need? :facepalm:

• Members

I use my OASYS and Continuum (paired with software mostly) on everything. I sold a good chunk of hardware synths to buy the continuum and I was not disappointed, although I've reached less than 1/10th of my potential on it. On the other side, there is my SE-1, which I love to program and make new sounds on, but never makes it into any of my songs. It's a lot of fun, makes great sounds, just doesn't fit in with the type of music I make that often. I am still hesitant to sell it though, because it's fun in ways that my softsynths are not.

-D

• Members

I recently added a Casio PX-320 digital piano to my arsenal that already included Yamaha CP300 and Kawai ES4 pianos. Guess what's getting the most use now? Yep, the Casio. The CP300 at 75 lbs stays in the studio (as it was always meant to) and it's my primary practice instrument. My 45lb. Kawai ES4 gets used in my serious gigs which means it stays in it's case ready to go or is on stage. But lately the 25lb Casio, which I meant to use mostly at my church, is staying in the car and getting used for jams, rehearsals, auditions, etc... I even set it up to play at my mother's house last week. It's become my handy go-anywhere piano, and it really sounds good when amplified. Nice to have something easy to tote and fun to play for horsing around with.

If you haven't heard the Casio PX-320 yet, I made
using one of my home made MIDI files played back on the PX-320 with me playing live piano over it. Enjoy!

wow that px-320 sounds pretty great..do you have any recordings with the electric pianos or organs. i'm looking into buying either the px-320 or a used yamaha p-90/p-120. just need a relatively cheap all purpose board.

• Members

Regular use: JV-1080 (My main rompler now since my JV-2080 has a dead internal power supply):mad:, JD-990 (both controlled by an A-33), Juno-106 (LOVE that LFO), and JX-3P (my first synth!). The JX-3P not quite so much as the sequencer quit working and a few of the patch select buttons don't work anymore, but it has killer lead and bass sounds and a minty PG-200.

I still need to "Dig into" the D-550 (w/PG-1000), S-760, and R8M, TX81Z and VZ10M. I want to use the R8M for drums exclusively, so that the JV1080 doesn't run out of voices (it only has 64).:rolleyes:

Rare usage: Kawai K1r (may sell), TX81Z (may sell), Casio VZ-10m (won't sell - it's in great condition and my only PD synth), U-110 (I'll hang onto it because it was Roland's first rompler.)

Never used anymore: DX21 (for sale)

• Members

Ah the U-110. Tried that out once and it had a couple of cool tones as I recall - but WOW what an arcane and frustrating OS!!! This was the day as I recall you had to allocate every voice in multitimbral mode.

• Members

I havn't used the U-110 in multi-timbral mode - I've only played single patches on it. I have three of the ROM cards for it - one of them being "sound efffects" - that's all I use it for now. And I can do that better with samples to be sure.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

How many of your boards do you actually use?

100%

I have a Virus TI and an MEK. Looking at an Andromeda and a Nord Wave and I think that's it. I'm still finding stuff about my TI that I love, and I'm just scratching the surface of my MEK. I can't see ever needing an amazing amount of boards. I'd rather really know the ones I have inside and out. This collector "shoe shopping" {censored} is for people who think about gear more than they do their own songs. GAS becomes their occupation.

• Members

This collector "shoe shopping" {censored} is for people who think about gear more than they do their own songs. GAS becomes their occupation.

Sad but oh so true :cry:

I haven't recorded even one note in over three months now. There are enough ideas flowing, but I can't find the patience to actually record any these days.

Back on topic, I'm still trying to sell my S4, but it won't :cry:. I only want to add a dedicated hammond clone to my rig, and then it's finally complete.

• Members

3 or 4 out of 50

the nord stage and wave do most of the sounds i need but the clavinet is the one thing i cant fake convincingly so the real deal adds 50lb.also the lack of drawbars forces me to bring the korg cx3 adding 40lb to the rig.sometimes i wish it was less but most of the time i want to add more.

• Members

right now I'mz "Alive w/ Five" : A6, LP, V-Synth, Juno-6 & the ms2000 (this is usually MIDI'ed to NeuronVS or M-tron)

often simultaneously - i like to layer, harmonize and shuffle/cut between various combinations - that's where the really special sounds get done, imho.

those are the keyboards; also FR revolution gets lots of use almost every day that I'm tracking or writing.

matrix1000 less since A6 showed up, but it still does the sweetest swelled string pads I've ever heard, so I'm not ready to let go of her. ESi-32 is collecting dust.

Thingamagoop is barely an instrument at all but is usually good fer a hoot w/ guests:D

• Members

I use everything pretty much equally except the Poly 800. That gets turned on once every 10 years or so. Right now, my keys are slip up between 3 houses.

I keep my digital boards and Hammond at my parents' for recording. They live right between where I live and work.

At home I have the Rhodes, Wurli 145, Mellotron, and Pro-One.

I'm keeping my Wurli 206A, ARP Explorer, Opus 3, and CR-78 at a friend's house right now for Monday night jams.

• Members

Cute ... !!! :thu:

I've split my gear into two setups ... After concentrating on the main base setup, I've finally started using the bedroom gears ... Kind of fun to have two separate fully armed and functional battle stations ...

• Members

Out of these:

Roland V-Synth

Korg Karma

Korg Micro X

Novation X-Station

Korg M3M, Wavestation SR

Roland JD-990 w/ Vintage exp. board

Kurzweil K2000R

E-MU Morpheus

Yamaha FS1R

Kawai K5000R

I use most of them, although not much with the Morpheus and FS1R, but I keep thinking that one day I'm going to get into them and program some really cool stuff. The V-Synth and M3M are fairly new to my collection, so I haven't recorded or gigged with them yet, but I'll use them a LOT on my next recording. On my last two CD's, almost all my basic tracks were from the Karma with overdubs from the JD990, Wavestation, and K5000 mostly. Although I usually try to use a sound or two somewhere from the others, partly just to justify keeping them around. For gigging, I've mostly been using the Micro X and Novation, along with midi guitar and Roland GR33 & VG99.

I think this is the first time I can remember that I'm not lusting after some new synth, and am really satisfied (and grateful) with what I have.

• Members

I gig in a classic rock band 6-8 times a month. My Motif 6 is my workhorse (pianos, organs, brass, strings) with a Virus TI Polar (used to cover vintage analog synth sounds).

I rehearse with the Motif 6, but the Polar goes back to my house. I keep my Prophet 08 and Moog LP in the rehearsal studio and use them in lieu of the Polar. Why? Because the Prophet and Moog sound much better than the Virus TI, and I'd rather play them, but the Polar is more practical for gigging given it's extreme flexibility, compact size, and built-in effects.

At home I record with a Motif Rack, Fantom XR, JV-1080, Korg Micro X, and a ton of softsynths. I play them with an M-Audio 61-key controller.

The stuff I play and record at home tends to be much more rompler-oriented. But when I play with other musicians, and especially when we have jam sessions, I love my Moog LP and Prophet because of the wealth of knobs (and they sound KILLER coming through the band PA).

Anything I've bought - if it doesn't get used, I sell it.

Archived