So you are not a DJ but you choose Ableton?

Kaux

• Members

Hi guys, I can get Live for a very good price, and I indeed now how inspiring this software is. But i wondered for those of you who are not DJ and not to heavy into loop based music, why did you choose live? and what are its limitations in comparison with the others daws, when you want to mix and make other more "common" tasks?

• Members

I do mainly rock and fusion, and I've been looking for alternatives to Cubase at one time, instead of upgrading. After playing around with Ableton's demo for a while I found it was just too odd for me. I guess if you play live it might make sense, but it just seems to make the job of composing linear pieces very difficult, forcing you to think in terms of loops and little sound bits. It could also well be that I just wasn't fluent enough to work comfortably. Either way, it was the upgrade for me.

Good luck with finding the DAW that fits you.

• Members

live is ideally suited for non linear music styles or providing backing tracks for live performances or improvisations and recording them. it is quite possible to use live for writing rock, jazz or others styles but the approach is vastly different from other DAWs such as cubase or sonar.

Live gives you the added option of "playing" your sequences back along with recording something live. If you're a guitarist and you're familiar with jamming along with a drum machine and recording into a 4 track or something, you'll have no problem with live. but if you like that "recording engineer" feel of multitrack studios, you'll be more happier with cubase or something like that.

• Members

well, i was jus thinking it could be a good idea to upgrade my live lite to live le.

I have been trying the demo, choosing a couple of loops, or indeed making your in the fly, and them messing with them seems to be pretty inspiring.

I already have cubase sx2, but some times i fall short of ideas... well i wouldnt buy the full live version, I guess it makes sense if you are into DJing or loops based music like Gus said, but would be too much for me.

• Members

Live beats Cubase SX3 into a pile of dust, because it's not as retarded about the order of effects (you need 4 to change the order directly - otherwise you have to delete the effect and re-open it in another slot).

I can directly record and automate anything without building elaborate templates or explaining for the zillionth time that I've got an audio interface with several inputs.

But it truly shines in assigning controls; SX3's method of doing that was an exercise in frustation.

Also, there's no need for a dongle.

• Members

I do mainly rock and fusion, and I've been looking for alternatives to Cubase at one time, instead of upgrading. After playing around with Ableton's demo for a while I found it was just too odd for me. I guess if you play live it might make sense, but it just seems to make the job of composing linear pieces very difficult, forcing you to think in terms of loops and little sound bits. It could also well be that I just wasn't fluent enough to work comfortably. Either way, it was the upgrade for me.

Good luck with finding the DAW that fits you.

I think you missed the TAB key to get to the arrange view. There you can record audio as long linear tracks and dont need to deal with loops at all.

Ive done a lot of work in live and linear tracks. It can be done, and its not forced on you in any way.

• Members

Tony,

I didn't miss the TAB key. Today's DAWs are so feature-rich and powerful that any software can support any mode of operation. You *can* work with loops in Cubase, and you *can* do linear work in Live, but they're both designed for different approaches. It's just like the Eskimos have many words to describe different types of snow, while English just has one. You can have a meaningful conversation about snow using English, but wouldn't it be better to stick with Inuit (assuming you've paid 500$ for it already ;) )?

• Members

Why I chose Live:

1. Live 7 will actually run on my laptop, Cubase AI4 (which I also own, came free with some Yamaha hardware) needs a faster machine with more memory

2. Live will slave to external MIDI clock, most DAWs want to be the clock master

3. Live will run on Macs as well as Windows (unlike Sonar, Acid)

• Members

I confess I confess! I have Live and Cubase.

I upgraded some version of Live Lite or LE that I got with a controller or something because it was fun and different than Cubase. I didn't get the suite because I am chock-full-o'VSTs already. You can use the arranger in live to launch and play with different MIDI clips hooked into soft synths. I think that many people have more than one DAW, and if you are going to have more than one I think it makes sense to have ones that don't overlap a lot. I think that Live is really fun to use for a one-man jam session, but yeah for really digging into composing and arranging stuff I prefer Cubase.

My Cubase 5 update just arrived Tuesday and it looks like Steinberg is adding more features that are similar to Live. They even added an MPC-like virtual pad-triggered VST, a loop mashing thing, and a beat arranger. The new feature I really want to play with though and have not yet learned and dug into is a convolution reverb.

Live beats Cubase SX3 into a pile of dust, because it's not as retarded about the order of effects (you need 4 to change the order directly - otherwise you have to delete the effect and re-open it in another slot).

I can directly record and automate anything without building elaborate templates or explaining for the zillionth time that I've got an audio interface with several inputs.

But it truly shines in assigning controls; SX3's method of doing that was an exercise in frustation.

Also, there's no need for a dongle.

Hell yeah, I completely missed this :facepalm: I'm just so used to do all that in LIVE and see this as quite natural I forgot this may be THE ONE advantage over any other DAW.

Another ones:

- It runs on Mac and PC with file compatibility between platforms.

- Assigning MIDI controllers to everything is just two clicks away.

- It runs as a master ReWire app

- It can be ran as a slave ReWire app

- It will slave to MIDI control (Meatball Fulton already mentioned this)

... but for DAW work -linear recording/editing- any other current DAW is way better, even for the sole purpose of MIDI.

• Members

i find it's more fun to sequence with my keyboard or em1 directly into the synth and record into live. i had a huge template made up with all the controllers and midi channels, then i realized i was missing all the fun and spontaneity of working with hardware.

• Members

How do I love thee, Live? Let me count the ways:

- really easy to try out variations on arrangements

- no-brainer MIDI controller assignments

- built-in instruments are good for sketching out ideas and are well integrated into the sequencer

- cool clip stuff like parameter automation and the follow feature

- runs well on non-top-end machines

- really fun to use

- really flexible

- incredibly well designed software imo

- etc

Archived