Almost bought a Delta Blues yesterday

The Boogie Man

• Members

I really liked the amp and have been looking for something like the Delta for a few months as a back up and found this used one for $300 but it had several little problems which put me off buying it. I really didn't crank the amp mostly played it clean but when ever I hit certian notes it ratteled and there were several pops coming from the amp like a bad connection or something, then the amp would cut out for a second. The over all tone was very good and the 15" speaker can really smooth out a single coil (P-90) Les Paul. I think some of the rattle (kind of a clunking) is loose filaments in the tubes? There seems to be some other issues with the popping and cutout which I relate to the circuit. Do you think its worth $300 and another $50-100 for tubes and repairs?

• Members

I would pass on that one too, you should be able to find one in perfect condition for $300 or so.

I have only played the 210 version and it sounded really good. Its amazing how they can crame those 2 10's into that small cabinet. The 115 version seems to be more popular though.

• Members

what do they usually sell for new?

i know i played the 2x12 version a few days ago new somewhere, it was a pretty cool amp...the tremolo sounded especially nice...i didn't even look at the price tag, but if they can be had for $300 or so used in good condition that sounds like a pretty damn good deal

• Members

Yea I could get it for $300 but it needs some TLC and at least a new set of tubes, something rattles when you play at moderate levels and the frequent pops don't make it sound any better. But since he won't come down to $250 I'll keep looking for a better deal. I have a offer from a different dealer for a new Kustom '36 Coupe for $500 but I just don't feel it's the right amp for me, yet it really seems like the better deal sounds great and works like a dream, think Cadillac vs Chevy.

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

what do they usually sell for new?

i know i played the 2x12 version a few days ago new somewhere, it was a pretty cool amp...the tremolo sounded especially nice...i didn't even look at the price tag, but if they can be had for $300 or so used in good condition that sounds like a pretty damn good deal

Actually they only make a 210 and a 115, so it must have been a 210.

I think they sell for about $475-535 new. I know they are a little more than a classic 30 and you can get those for $435 or so if you look

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

I think they sell for about $475-535 new. I know they are a little more than a classic 30 and you can get those for $435 or so if you look

No it was the 115. I don't think I would buy the 210 only because I play lots of Jazz and like the midrange. All the other amps I've looked at have a 12" in them.

• Members

Originally posted by The Boogie Man

No it was the 115. I don't think I would buy the 210 only because I play lots of Jazz and like the midrange. All the other amps I've looked at have a 12" in them.

I was responding to Cobrahead, not you. He said he played a 212 delta blues which doesn't exist.:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by The Boogie Man

I really liked the amp and have been looking for something like the Delta for a few months as a back up and found this used one for $300 but it had several little problems which put me off buying it. I really didn't crank the amp mostly played it clean but when ever I hit certian notes it ratteled and there were several pops coming from the amp like a bad connection or something, then the amp would cut out for a second. The over all tone was very good and the 15" speaker can really smooth out a single coil (P-90) Les Paul. I think some of the rattle (kind of a clunking) is loose filaments in the tubes? There seems to be some other issues with the popping and cutout which I relate to the circuit. Do you think its worth $300 and another $50-100 for tubes and repairs?

i've seem to many peaveys with problems no ! it aint worth it.

• Members
Originally posted by blackba

it was a 2x10...just mis-typed it (while dreaming about bigger speakers ;) )

• Members

Man, I was about to go out and buy a Delta Blues 115 tomorrow new (would like to own something w/a warranty for once in my life) but a guy in my neighborhood just popped up w/a 78 Fender Twin for the same price. The Twin is a 135 watt monster. Total overkill and not even in the same realm tonally, but {censored} . . . nice amp . . .

I know I'm not going to have $500 to throw at an amp any time again soon, so having a serious dillemma . . .

• Members
Originally posted by Europa760

that rattle is the metal clips that clip onto the tubes.

its not the tubes.

very well could be - I'd check those :thu:

describe the pops and cutting out more - was there a pattern to it at all?

you said you offered him $250 over the phone - go check it out more and offer it to his face - when he sees money, he might work with ya

• Members
Originally posted by jjpistols

very well could be - I'd check those
:thu:

describe the pops and cutting out more - was there a pattern to it at all?

you said you offered him $250 over the phone - go check it out more and offer it to his face - when he sees money, he might work with ya

I know the guy well, we do lots of business if he said no he won't change his mind, he wants $300. You can here some loud pops from the speaker as you play, kind of like a loose connection and then sometimes it just cuts out and there is no sound for a second.

Also the tube rattle is from the tubes not the metal clips, I tried it with them on and off and it still does it, so a tube replacement is a needed maybe only one but maybe all. I think this amp was played hard by someone.

Archived