Prophet 08 PE

• Members
So no Dave Smith bashing for me folks, Dave is a real Gentleman.....just sayin......

Agree. Dave and Co. are great!

...the P'08 just didn't work for me. Love the PER/PEK though and am waiting with bated breath to see what he and Roger Linn finally release. :thu:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Dave Smith just announced a Prophet 08 with pots, instead of the encoders that come with the original P08. No mention of the filter though. It seems to me that he might have made mention to the filter if he changed anything.

By the way folks, my posts are not an effort to bash Dave Smith. I certainly don't have the relationship with him that Dave Bryce does, but there is no way I would get mixed up in bashing Dave or his company. I've spoken to him on the phone several times and he or his small staff were always prompt about answering phone or email questions. I also discussed my Prophet 5 with him and told him how pleased I am with that synth. So here we are 28 years after I bought it and he was very happy to hear me brag about that synth after all that time. I also expressed my thanks for just how reliable that synth has been. It still sounds great!

I am only playing back what others that owned the P08 have said. Many players on this site sold off their P08, which is kinda sad. I have no doubt that you can get some very good musical sounds from the P08, I just have arrived at the conclusion that the sonic territory the P5 goes into when doing dramatic filter sweeps and other things that James mentioned fall short. I'm sure that can be fixed if Dave hears enough people bringing it to his attention.

So no Dave Smith bashing for me folks, Dave is a real Gentleman.....just sayin.......
:snax:

Mike T.

No doubt. We are just talking about some of the sounds of a synthesizer which I still happen to like. I am going to try the test that James suggested later today just to try to understand what he means. I have no basis of comparison in the analog domain other than a Moog Voyager though.

The OP was about replacing the encoders with pots. This is a nice response to customer feedback. It sure would be nice to have pots on my P'08. It would be nice to have an exchange program, but that is probably not economically feasible.

• Members

Gribs, that would be great. Give it a try and compare the sounds. I don't have a P08, I have my original Prophet 5 and that board can really venture into some neat sonic territory when you are looking for spacey sounds, and dramatic filter sweeps. I have no doubt that you can get great "musical" sounds out of the P08, but if you also wants dramatic sounds and spacey weirdness, the Prophet 5 delivers. I've A/B ed Alesis Ion to the Prophet, and although I have been getting better results out of that synth by using a combination of filter types and more than one part doing to same type of sound, it still doesn't go where the Prophet 5 can go. But then, it was a $699 synth in 2004 dollars, not a synth that cost me $3200 in 1981 dollars.

Mike T.

• Members

I have to admit that there is a range where the filter sounds great (that would be the 4 pole though). However, the range is very small and limited. The filter doesn't sound juicy over the whole cutoff frequency, neither over the whole resonance range. Same with the Evolver though!

I definitely disagree....but then again, we probably have different ideas about what juicy sounds like, and neither of us is wrong - We like what we like, right? :cool:

This must be possible the worse sounding analog filter on earth.

Clearly, you've never played with an "Oberheim" OB-Mx.... :eek::D

dB

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I prefer pots just as much as anyone, but you really have to consider that with any synth that saves patches there is essentially no visual feedback or context anyway once a new patch is loaded. I prefer pots to endless encoders, but it's really kind of a trivial gripe. :idk:

• Members

if it doesn't get rid of the quantization/stepping on stuff (especially the filter) then it's not worth it for me. I can understand the need to be able to see where several pots are set at in an instant, rather than relying on the screen, though!

I'll do it when I have $200 to totally burn, which won't be anytime soon. :)

looks like for early keyboards a bit of modding is needed. my S/N is in the early early hundred!

• Members

Incidentally, tech support at DSI told me in a private email that they do not plan to release a potted version of the rack mount at this time. That was really what I was hoping for, but it is not to be for now. I guess that right now I am not really feeling the need for an analog polysynth. We will see what happens after a few weeks or months with the Q (arriving Tuesday according to UPS tracking) if I start missing the P'08. Rack mount will be the way to go for me though - no more room.

• Members

The Prophet 08 is one of the best sounding synths ive played. Its up there with every great poly ive played, and i dont say that lightly. What a synth.

This board is transforming my live and studio duties no end.

To those that dont rate it. I just dont get what youre saying.

Its sounds great next to my memorymoog..any synth that sounds great next to a memorymoog is great in my book.

ps...Voyager + P08 =sonic dynamite

• Members

am I the only one who likes endless rotary encoders? pots make sense on a synth with no patch storage, but having to deal with parameters jumping or using some sort of takeover mode is a complete PITA in performance. Sure visual feed back is nice on an ADSR section, but linear pots make more sense for that anyway. and who doesn't love the blinky-ness of led rings?

i groaned when I heard about this edition of the p08... silly traditionalists..

• Members

am I the only one who likes endless rotary encoders?

Nope.

pots make sense on a synth with no patch storage,

And only when knobs don't have double/multiple functions. I own one synth with potis and a matrix interface, the Waldorf Pulse. Drives me mad, I only use a software editor to program it.

• Members

I agree; Rotary encoders are better for multiple-function controls. Pots really only make sense for dedicated functions. Part of the appeal of pots (or sliders) is the visual feedback to get a quick sense of the current value relative to the overall value range. If the pot isn't directly related to a single value at all times, then it's more a frustration than anything else. "Does that pot show the current value? Dunno, what's the current mapping, and have I updated it to match yet?" Feh. That's particularly a problem if the functions are frequently used, less so if an alternate function is relatively rarely used.

I think the MAIN point of the pots on the P'08, though, are not for visual feedback, but for sensitivity. Instead of multiple turns of an encoder to sweep a value range, the pot can do the same in a single turn.

• Members

Pots are much better for live. Both visually and from the standpoint that you dont have to turn the dials anywhere as much. Thats a massive bonus for me.
I can look at the panel and know exactly where my sounds are at. When i first tested the P08 i found myself relying on the display far too much-not anymore..i barely look at it.
:cool:

• Members

The endless encoders on the Behringer BCR2000 are encoders done right.

With their LED rings always showing the current values, 192 values per turn and user-definable acceleration (like it works with a mouse) they even work fine with the 4096 values of the Andromeda's filters. Also I haven't read anything about BCR2000 encoders failing.

The drawback with pots is that they don't update to current values, so you don't know which ones are showing the correct values. Also they snap to a value when turned or you have to first turn through a value to change it. Small adjustments are easier to do with good encoders. Also they don't jitter like pots do.

Archived