RE-ASSESSMENT of the XTC

CTBMETAL

• Members

Originally posted by tone slave

hey keith, how do you like the siemens compared to the svets? what are the differences tonally? i just got a quad of siemens for my classic but haven't put them in yet. i assume they handle the high plate voltages?

I believe they have been having success with the Siemens EL34's in the XTC Classic as far as the plate voltages are concerned.

I would like to try them in my 101B, but I'm kind of scared to do that.

Dale

• Members

Originally posted by Marshall Freak

A long time ago, Bogner used to Relable Siemens and use them.

I've had them in my 101B, but my plate Voltages aren't as high as yours.

I like 'em.

Yeah, that's why I'm scared to put them in there. I'm probably fixing to get a quad from KCA to put in my Dual Recto.

Dale

• Members

Originally posted by Dale B.

Yeah, that's why I'm scared to put them in there. I'm probably fixing to get a quad from KCA to put in my Dual Recto.

Dale

I've got them in my XTC Classic which has similar plate voltages to your XTC, and I got them from KCA. No probs and they sound incredible.

Also: I agree that the blue channel is usually the one people rave about, and I find it has plenty of gain, but I suspect I use less gain than most high gainers on here.

• Members

Originally posted by '63-Strat

I've got them in my XTC Classic which has similar plate voltages to your XTC, and I got them from KCA. No probs and they sound incredible.

Also: I agree that the blue channel is usually the one people rave about, and I find it has plenty of gain, but I suspect I use less gain than most high gainers on here.

i guess ill find out about the blue channel once i get the new tubes in there.

• Members
Originally posted by '63-Strat

All right.....I'm ordering some for it then. :)

Thanks Man!

Dale

• Members

Cool deal man. Are you still getting the JJ preamp tubes?

Dale

im torn between. my money situation is kind of off. I can get a matched quad of jjs with the high gain graded preamp tubes cheaper than just the quad of siemens tubes, but i stand to believe that you get what you pay for, and if so many people on this board stand behind the siemens tubes, then perhaps i should give them a try.

• Members

Originally posted by CTBMETAL

im torn between. my money situation is kind of off. I can get a matched quad of jjs with the high gain graded preamp tubes cheaper than just the quad of siemens tubes, but i stand to believe that you get what you pay for, and if so many people on this board stand behind the siemens tubes, then perhaps i should give them a try.

Yeah, definitely go with the Siemens. Then stay away from the JJ preamp tubes.

Chinese is where it's at man. If you have Chinese ARS preamp tubes in it right now or just the regular Chinese preamp tubes, retubing the preamp will make a world of difference as well.

Dale

• Members

Chinese is where it's at man. If you have Chinese ARS preamp tubes in it right now or just the regular Chinese preamp tubes, retubing the preamp will make a world of difference as well.

Dale

What are the Chinese ARS tubes?

• Members

Dale

i dont have the amp with me right now, but im pretty sure that the preamp tubes are chinese. i think youve pushed me over the top. i get my vacation pay this week i think im just gonna suck it up and buy the siemens. mike at KCA told me that i should try the Tung Sol Reissues for the preamp. he says theyare less dark than the JJs

• Members

What are they? 9th generation Chinese, or some other Chinese tube?

I think ARS is just a relabel a la Ruby etc. I'd assume they were before 9th generation and Bogner likely bought them in bulk. 9th gen ones will sound pretty much the same and are good tubes for the XTC and most high gain amps IMO. Although I've got a mix of brimar, mullard and chinese pres in mine :D

• Members

What are they? 9th generation Chinese, or some other Chinese tube?

If they're within the last year or year and a half, they're the 9th Gens.

If they're within the last 2 or so years, they're the 8th Gens.

The only reported difference that I've heard of between the 8th and 9th Gens is that there is just a touch less noise with the 9th Gens. That's what ole Willie (aka Lord Valve) had to say.

I really can't tell too much of a difference, but I think all of my Chinese preamp tubes are kind of tired and I need to order a bunch more.

If you can't tell the difference between them, the 8th and 9th Gen preamp tubes have 2 Insulating Spacers above the plates. One of them will be octagonal like this:

EG-Octagon_15815.gif

The 9th Gen is octagonal.

The 8th Gens are more squared off looking. I've seen both relabeled by ARS.

Dale

• Members

OK, that's what I figured. I've got a mix of Different ones in mine too, but it doesn't seem to make quite as much difference in it as it does in my old Marshalls.

What tubes have you found to work best in yours?

I can't remember 100% offhand

but I think I have

V1 brimar

V2 mullard

V3 brimar/chinese (?)

V4 chinese

V5 mullard 12at7

V6 brimar

• Members

Originally posted by branjispad

if you want some thivker metal beef from the xtc throw a eq in the loop and be amazed.

alright. ill keep that in mind. i actually havent had a problem dialing in the tone im looking for which is surprising because even though this amp can pull off metal, i know thats not what the amp was really made for. every sound that ive wanted to get out of it, ive been able to do it, i just gotta get those damn 6550s out of it.

Archived