RE-ASSESSMENT of the XTC

CTBMETAL

• Members

this is my second week having it, a bit more time to try things out heres the new review

Channel 1 (clean) This is a very diverse channel, its clean and it sings. IMO its a much better clean than the rectifier. Seems to have alot of head room and doesnt distort when i turn it up unless i have the gain cranked. The gain and the volume knob work well together.. if you dial in just the right amount of gain and lay back on the mids you can get a nice sparkly, yet fat clean tone. The of course you have the presense knob, the boost and the excusion to mess around with but i havent jumped too deep into it. REALLY nice channel even for the minor cleans that are in my bands songs

Channel 2 (overdrive) originally, i felt this channel was useless to me until i explored its full potential. It has a very fat bass response, similar to the second channel on the dual rectifier but not as much gain. it is the perfect rock tone. Turn the gain down alittle bit and youve got yourself a very nice bluesy channel. It breaks up nicely, but it can only pull off rock with this channel, its a little too sterol to play metal on.

Channel 3 (lead) im getting great tones out of this. Im pretty much able to make this channel do whatever i want. I really like the sound of mids on this amp they arent brittle, they are smooth and they dont pierce the ear! Im kind of used to the thump of the rectifier, and this amp kind of lacks that thump, but if i turn up the bass and balence the presense knob, i can get a good thump in there (even more if i set the presense at about 2' o clock then its dark as hell!) One amazing thing ive noticed about this amp is that no matter how much gain i put on it, the notes are clear, everyone in the band noticed it too. i didnt have extra noise hanging around on all of my notes.

One draw back is that sometimes i dont think im getting the sustain that i should be getting, now part of this is due to my ibanez prestige s-series that is really thin. Another reason for this may be the tubes that are in it, 6550s. Im partial to eurotubes since ive done business with bob in the past, so i emailed him, told him what sound im looking for and ask him his opinion. He told me that the 6550s are similar to the kt88s in that they have a broad spectrum of sound that can be produced from them. they have big low end and lots of head room, but they are kind of sterol sounding

• Members

With XTCs you need to change the OT to run 6L6s. Given its very british styled tone, I wouldn't bother as EL34s are the intended match. Also, not enough sustain has never been a problem with my bogner, I'd wait to see on what it sounds like once you retube. I would keep in mind that this amp is VERY much voiced around the bogner midrange voicing. Scoop your mids and you're not really using its full potential. I find it will thump a lot more if you get the mids up to around 3:00 and turn the bass way down, but that's just me.

• Members

Originally posted by '63-Strat

With XTCs you need to change the OT to run 6L6s. Given its very british styled tone, I wouldn't bother as EL34s are the intended match. Also, not enough sustain has never been a problem with my bogner, I'd wait to see on what it sounds like once you retube. I would keep in mind that this amp is VERY much voiced around the bogner midrange voicing. Scoop your mids and you're not really using its full potential. I find it will thump a lot more if you get the mids up to around 3:00 and turn the bass way down, but that's just me.

thats sounds like something i oughta try. Thanks for the info, im definatly going witht he e34l's i like the crunch im getting. Im pretty positive the sterol sound im getting is due to the 6550s. thanks for the feedback

• Members

Originally posted by Marshall Freak

I'm not sure I'd put JJ's in it. XTC's are a semi dark, or thick sounding amp, and JJ's EL34's are fairly dark sounding tubes IMHO. I've had Siemens, and SED's in mine, and they sound great.

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't even put the JJ preamp tubes in it either.

Hey Marshall Freak, you have the 101B or Classic? What's the plate voltage running on your's? My 101B's plate voltage is running between 525 and 540....

Dale

• Members

Originally posted by Dale B.

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't even put the JJ preamp tubes in it either.

Hey Marshall Freak, you have the 101B or Classic? What's the plate voltage running on your's? My 101B's plate voltage is running between 525 and 540....

Dale

Dale,

I've had two 101B's and a Classic, and they were all three in the 500-520 area.

• Members
Originally posted by CTBMETAL

thanks for the tip on the tubes. Ive had luck with the jjs so far, they have the sound that im going for. I would be interested in trying siemens or SEDs in the amp though. where can i pick those up?

You can get them both from www.kcanostubes.com . Just ask for some that fall between a #25 and a #30 on Mike's scale because the 101B's bias pot doesn't have a huge range.

I would also be sure to check and see if the bias circuit was modified in order for your amp to take those 6550's. It may not have been though.

I haven't tried out the high gain graded JJ Ecc83s preamp tubes, but I've tried the regular versions and their Ecc803s version. The Ecc803s is supposed to be brighter, but I still found it a little too relaxed in the high end. So, the high gain graded Ecc83s would have to be brighter than the Ecc803s for me to want to run it in an XTC.

I think the Chinese 9th Generation 12ax7a's sound the best in the preamp of the XTC 101B as far as current production preamp tubes are concerned. The XTC is a darker and smoother amplifier compared to a lot of other amplifiers that are out on the market right now, so brighter tubes tend to help it out.

That's just what I think and my advice. I like JJ EL34's in the Uberschall, but the Uberschall isn't the XTC 101B.

I'm not knocking Bob at all either. I've bought plenty of power tubes from him, but I'm just not a fan of JJ preamp tubes and I, personally, wouldn't run them in any Bogner amplifier.

Dale

• Members

You can get them both from
www.kcanostubes.com
. Just ask for some that fall between a #25 and a #30 on Mike's scale because the 101B's bias pot doesn't have a huge range.

I would also be sure to check and see if the bias circuit was modified in order for your amp to take those 6550's. It may not have been though.

I haven't tried out the high gain graded JJ Ecc83s preamp tubes, but I've tried the regular versions and their Ecc803s version. The Ecc803s is supposed to be brighter, but I still found it a little too relaxed in the high end. So, the high gain graded Ecc83s would have to be brighter than the Ecc803s for me to want to run it in an XTC.

I think the Chinese 9th Generation 12ax7a's sound the best in the preamp of the XTC 101B as far as current production preamp tubes are concerned. The XTC is a darker and smoother amplifier compared to a lot of other amplifiers that are out on the market right now, so brighter tubes tend to help it out.

That's just what I think and my advice. I like JJ EL34's in the Uberschall, but the Uberschall isn't the XTC 101B.

I'm not knocking Bob at all either. I've bought plenty of power tubes from him, but I'm just not a fan of JJ preamp tubes and I, personally, wouldn't run them in any Bogner amplifier.

Dale

right on man. honestly thank you for all of the tips. Im lookin forward to tryin all of these tubes. Im seems like you and i are going for different sounds on the xtc, but im really curious to try out those tubes you mentioned, so thank you again!

• Members

Originally posted by SQUAREHEAD

So...

Where do you fellas bias your Xtcy's at?

I found around 34ma with the Bogner Classic (Siemens 34's) to be perfect...

Keith

I have mine biased at 32 mA, which was 70% plate dissipation of whatever the plate voltage was at the time.

Dale

• Members

I have mine biased at 32 mA, which was 70% plate dissipation of whatever the plate voltage was at the time.

Dale

Yep, I've got mine around the same (32ma) and I think my plate voltage was fairly high like yours as well. I don't find biasing a saggy amp like the xtc high is necessary. Too squishy IMO.

• Members

Hmmm.... I have near endless-sustain with my XTC Classic. I'd put a set of SED El34's in there. Have the amp biased properly and make sure that everything is in proper working order.

Also... while the Blue channel is not super-heavy, it's far from sterile. It's the favorite of most people who own an XTC.

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

Hmmm.... I have near endless-sustain with my XTC Classic. I'd put a set of SED El34's in there. Have the amp biased properly and make sure that everything is in proper working order.

Also... while the Blue channel is not super-heavy, it's far from sterile. It's the favorite of most people who own an XTC.

cool, must be those 6550's outt there stat!

• Members

Originally posted by luker_X

cold and no sustain

Yep thats an Egnater Alright !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

man im really exited to here this amp with the right tubes in it now!

one thing you have to remember is that the previous owner and i were using this amp for two completely opposite genres. maybe that was the tone he was looking for?

• Members
Originally posted by CTBMETAL

man im really exited to here this amp with the right tubes in it now!

one thing you have to remember is that the previous owner and i were using this amp for two completely opposite genres. maybe that was the tone he was looking for?

I'm pretty sure that it's because the amp was messed with... Restore it back to spec and you'll be amazed... Cold and sterile are not adjectives often used to describe XTC's. Usually, it's dark and smooth... blanket over speaker... blah blah blah... :D

• Members
Originally posted by vlad

I'm pretty sure that it's because the amp was messed with... Restore it back to spec and you'll be amazed... Cold and sterile are not adjectives often used to describe XTC's. Usually, it's dark and smooth... blanket over speaker... blah blah blah...
:D

right on. ill have to post ANOTHER review of the amp here in a few short weeks.

• Members

Originally posted by SQUAREHEAD

So...

Where do you fellas bias your Xtcy's at?

I found around 34ma with the Bogner Classic (Siemens 34's) to be perfect...

Keith

hey keith, how do you like the siemens compared to the svets? what are the differences tonally? i just got a quad of siemens for my classic but haven't put them in yet. i assume they handle the high plate voltages?

Archived