LEE JACKSON/ METALTRONIX ; anyone tried one?

bleedblack

• Members

The early M1000 heads had a LOT of problems, but when they worked, they got that signature 1980s Lee Jackson sound.

If you ask me, LJ has one circuit design and that's it - cuz every single one of his amps sounds exactly the same, whether it be a Blues59, M1000, XLS1000, Ampeg, etc.

• Members

I played a Blues '59 at a local music shop... to say that I was unimpressed would be a huge understatement. It sounded like an angry swarm of bees. No matter how I tweaked the knobs there was a fuzziness that would not go away. I was very disappointed. :( One of my favorite recorded tones (King Diamond- Conspiracy) was supposedly recorded with an M1000. I loved the tone, but not enough to try to track one down over the net and buy

• Members

I had a lee jackson modded Marshall in the late 80's early 90's for a few years. I personally didn't like the sound too much. I ended up doing the same as the guy above and using it as a slave for a MP-1, which it did very well.

I switched to a 70's JMP with a master volume mod and never looked back.

I bought the head from the guitar player in Dangerous Toys. I think it's the one he used on their first album.

After it going through a few people after I sold it, a buddy of mine ended up with it. I told the dangerous toys guy and now he's got it back again after all these years. The only thing wrong with the head was the Lee Jackson mods. They didn't hold up at all.

To me...it was thin high mid fizz type of sound. Didn't have balls.

• Members

I had one of those Crate Stealth heads that he designed and it sounded literally like crap. Tons of fuzz/buzz, like bees were inside having a rave. It was harsh and brittle, but an ok low end. The cleans were decent though, fat and round.

MJ

• 14 years later...

Archived