Affordable alternative to Rhodes MKs

• Members

I'm not a pianist/keyboard player/whatever. But I do know how to {censored} around for long enough on a keyboard to get a sound I want/add atmosphere to already written songs. I love the {censored}ing sound of what I now know are Rhodes electric pianos. Apparently every model ever made is {censored}ing pricey too. What do you say? I guess I'm looking for something...intermediate.

• Members

When you say intermediate, I'm assuming you mean cheaper.

You can get a used rhodes for around $500 sometimes, maybe even a little less.

You can get a sampler and sample a rhodes if you like spending hours on programming one sound (what I did, search the forums for rhodes).

You can get a nord electro 2 for pretty cheap now, and they've got really good rhodes sounds.

If you're looking to get out for a very small price, maybe a software synth for your PC, and a cheap midi controller that has USB on it. That's the worst solution in my opinion though. It requires a PC, and they tend to be laggy.

• Members

A Rhodes is under $1000 for a hand built, one of a kind electromechanical instrument with moving parts. How cheap does something have to be? Seriously. It's a real piano, made in America, with a timeless, classic sound for under a grand. All depreciation is like out of them and they're only appreciating in value now.

This thread should be retitled:

"I love the Rhodes but I'm broke and wouldn't actually buy one if I had the money anyway."

• Members

A Rhodes is under $1000 for a hand built, one of a kind electromechanical instrument with moving parts. How cheap does something have to be? Seriously. It's a real piano, made in America, with a timeless, classic sound for under a grand. All depreciation is like out of them and they're only appreciating in value now.

This thread should be retitled:

"I love the Rhodes but I'm broke and wouldn't actually buy one if I had the money anyway."

No offense, but the OP stated he was not a piano/keyboard player and he wanted something simple and cheap. While some Rhodes pianos can be found for cheap, maintenance isn't always simple. Also, it sounds like he has been looking. Some people don't want to pay 1000 dollars for an instrument. If I played guitar and wanted a Rhodes sound, I wouldn't pay over 400 dollars for it.:rolleyes:

That said, I'd say a cheap Electro 2 or Rompler. That gives you multiple Rhodes sounds and adjustments.

• Members

does it have to sound exactly like a {censored}ing rhodes? if not you could get any number of {censored}ty 1970s electric-sounding pianos - i got a yamaha cp30 for banging out chords and processing into cocteau twins sounds. i really like it.

there's plenty of those, and they're cheap. they dont sound that great, but they have their uses.

• Members

No thanks to one "tspit74keytwat."

Here's a friendly hint: don't pull this kind of bull{censored} because it lands you on ignore lists here pretty damn fast.

Even cheaper than the Electro, and more versatile too might be these:

- E-mu Vintage Keys Pro (keyboard version, not the rack)

- Roland XP-series synthesizer (30, 50, 60, 80) or JV-series synthesizer with the SR-JV expansion here : http://www.synthmania.com/sr-jv80-08.htm )

Both have a selection of B3 sounds built in, and both do more than just the piano/organ/ep sounds the Electro does.

• Members

Thank you pianorocker. That was helpful.

No thanks to one "tspit74keytwat."

A simple search before you posted would show you that this question is asked every single freakin' day. There's a search function. Use it.

I'm not normally rude. But seriously. Everyday someone asks how they can get an authentic Rhodes sound by not buying a Rhodes or spending more than their lunch money to get it.

Also, don't ask if you're not looking for opinions.

Your truly,

"tspit74keytwat"

• Members

A #$%^ing Rhodes is #$%^ing cheaper then a #%$^ing Nord. Nobody wants a %^&*ing Mark V, get a *&^%ing Mark I. Then you can *&^% around with it.

But if you don't really give a *#&$ if it sounds perfect or not, any old $%#&ing cheap keyboard will have a $&%ing rhodes sound on it.

• Members

A #$%^ing Rhodes is #$%^ing cheaper then a #%$^ing Nord. Nobody wants a %^&*ing Mark V, get a *&^%ing Mark I. Then you can *&^% around with it.

But if you don't really give a *#&$ if it sounds perfect or not, any old $%#&ing cheap keyboard will have a $&%ing rhodes sound on it.

Couldn't have said it any better.:thu:

-"tspit74keytwat"

Archived