Carvin V3 clips...

bverdon

• Members

I am sure this amp will get slammed here...but what the hay...I like it so far.

Haven't quite dialed this in yet so keep that in mind...there are many knobs on this thing...

clip 1

clip 2

just thought I would post a few clips since I don't think there are any yet...

Let me know what you think.

• Members
Originally posted by bverdon

I am sure this amp will get slammed here...but what the hay...I like it so far.

Haven't quite dialed this in yet so keep that in mind...there are many knobs on this thing...

clip 1

clip 2

just thought I would post a few clips since I don't think there are any yet...

Let me know what you think.

Kick ass, bro. I want this amp now! :D

Btw, I didn't know you were mistermike. I remember you from the CMF. I was JesusMySavior there. How's it goin? :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by A-Train

I think the rhythm sounded excellent. Very fat sounding. The lead tone on the other hand could use some tweaking... But I think there is the potential for great tone there.

Thanks...yeah...still tweaking...

Here's another clip...

clip 3

• Members

Thanks for posting the clip~! I just NOW saw this thread, right before having to log off, but I am definitely going to come back to this later or earlier tomorrow~! I hope you really like the amp, and I've heard it can take a while to dial in due to a really good variety of tones, so finding the ones you like the best likely will still be to come~! :cool:

• Members

Okay; I heard that 3rd clip at the carvin board already and now those first two. I really like that Satriani-ish 1st clip, and I can tell the amp gets good sustain regardless of the fx, and I heard good harmonic content, and the rythm sounds are chunky -- sounds pretty cool, and I hope you're really liking the amp~! It'll be a while before I can get one of those and am just now working again on an old X100B. :p

Thanks again for posting, and whatever thoughts you have regarding the similarities and differences between the JSX and V3 are totally welcome~! :cool:

• Members

bverdon,

i knew i recognized your icon.

i think the V3 has the distinct chance of being the flavor of the seaon amp here. it seems to be optimized for diverse high gain applications and that always big here @ HC amp land. now, everything has its day and then there is a new fad, but I suspect the V3 fad is going to kick in hard next month as more people get their's and post clips and reviews.

• Members
Originally posted by rushtallica

Okay; I heard that 3rd clip at the carvin board already and now those first two. I really like that Satriani-ish 1st clip, and I can tell the amp gets good sustain regardless of the fx, and I heard good harmonic content, and the rythm sounds are chunky -- sounds pretty cool, and I hope you're really liking the amp~! It'll be a while before I can get one of those and am just now working again on an old X100B.
:p

Thanks again for posting, and whatever thoughts you have regarding the similarities and differences between the JSX and V3 are totally welcome~!
:cool:

I was actually disappointed with the V3 after the first 3 hours of playing and tweaking...I kept going back to my JSX.

I have taken more time to tweak things and I am liking it better each day...I have got a decent tone dialed in right now. The clean is great...just like most Carvin amps...but the JSX has a great clean as well.

There are some similiarities between the two but I think that I find that the JSX is a more in your face type of amp and the V3 is smoother...especially on the lead stuff.

I really can't justify owning both amps...but I want to keep both of them...they are both unique and great amps.

• Members
Originally posted by bverdon

I was actually disappointed with the V3 after the first 3 hours of playing and tweaking...I kept going back to my JSX.

I have taken more time to tweak things and I am liking it better each day...I have got a decent tone dialed in right now. The clean is great...just like most Carvin amps...but the JSX has a great clean as well.

There are some similiarities between the two but I think that I find that the JSX is a more in your face type of amp and the V3 is smoother...especially on the lead stuff.

I really can't justify owning both amps...but I want to keep both of them...they are both unique and great amps.

Having an Ultra Plus for a while now, I've been really wanting to see what improvements are made via the JSX and believe a lot of great things I've heard about it. Hearing that the Carvin might be on a similar level of amp, though having a different tone, is really good to hear, knowing there's always that chance of a major disappointment.

You only have 7 days to check it out before losing the chance to return it? If so, I hope you really get a feel for whether the amp is the one you'd prefer to keep or not; that almost doesn't seem like enough time when comparing it with an amp you like a lot and are already really familiar with. I'm glad to hear whatever your thoughts are and appreciate the clips~! :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by FPFL

bverdon,

i knew i recognized your icon.

i think the V3 has the distinct chance of being the flavor of the seaon amp here. it seems to be optimized for diverse high gain applications and that always big here @ HC amp land. now, everything has its day and then there is a new fad, but I suspect the V3 fad is going to kick in hard next month as more people get their's and post clips and reviews.

I saw your thread about locked threads at the Carvin forum. I've previously gleaned a lot of useful info on the old forum there but am still just scoping out the new one -- glad to see a lot of posts regarding the new V3 and a few familiar posters there, in any case~! :cool:

• Members

I like it too. I am going to swap some tubes and do some experimenting, but so far I like it alot . The features are amazing and I'm getting some killer tones. I have an Uberschall and lots of other very cool amps so if this ends up being a keeper, it did so in very good company.

• Members
Originally posted by rushtallica

I saw your thread about locked threads at the Carvin forum. I've previously gleaned a lot of useful info on the old forum there but am still just scoping out the new one -- glad to see a lot of posts regarding the new V3 and a few familiar posters there, in any case~!
:cool:

Yeah...it's getting plain stupid over there since the new bbs arrived. get off topic for two posts and they lock the thread. I say they...but it's mainly Brian D...and he doesn't even work for Carvin.

• Members

Originally posted by crwnedblasphemy

Those clips to me sound pretty damn good! I like the 3rd the best? What was the signal chain? clip 1 sounds like a legacy, but I can see the similarities with the JSX on the 2nd and 3rd.

Kickass!

Glad you liked them. I agree with you as far as the sounding like a Legacy comment...I used to own a Legacy for 3 years so I am familiar with it. But there are more tones and options on this amp!

I am using a G-Major in the loop.

The midi function of the amp works flawlessly! Many many options in regards to setting up patches. Very simple to set up too.

• Members

BV,

All other things being equal I'd say the smoother amp is usually the better choice becuase its easy to add grit to a smooth amp but much harder to smooth out a grainy amp. Thats why I've also been a Legacy player for a while now.

Do you find you can dial in a Legacy like tone but with tighter low end? I am one of the few people who find Van's comments about "sizzle" distressing because sizzle is, to me, that artificial layer of buzz you get with a lot of modern amps... that sounds like Dimebag snuck his distortion pedal into your tone. Bzzzrt.

Your clips sound good and I think they would track well in a band mix, which for me, is what its really all about anyway.

-P

• Members

Sweet clips...I really like those tones you're getting from that amp. Funny...I was listening to some of the V3 clips on the Carvin website last night and didn't think much of them..to me they all sound very 80's rock. Not that that's a bad sound....

Any clean clips you can post?

• Members

Originally posted by FPFL

BV,

All other things being equal I'd say the smoother amp is usually the better choice becuase its easy to add grit to a smooth amp but much harder to smooth out a grainy amp. Thats why I've also been a Legacy player for a while now.

Do you find you can dial in a Legacy like tone but with tighter low end? I am one of the few people who find Van's comments about "sizzle" distressing because sizzle is, to me, that artificial layer of buzz you get with a lot of modern amps... that sounds like Dimebag snuck his distortion pedal into your tone. Bzzzrt.

Your clips sound good and I think they would track well in a band mix, which for me, is what its really all about anyway.

-P

Yes...I can get that tone but a tighter low end for sure. If I had choice between the Legacy the the V3...I would choose the V3. You can get it to "sizzle" as Van puts it...but that can be dialed out pretty easily.

I would have to imagine it would fit real well in a mix...when you turn this thing up it sounds awsome!

• Members

What we mean by sizzle is having more gain and break up on the low strings. If you notice, when we say it, we always say "low string sizzle." The Legacy kinda has a hard time getting distortion on low string runs (due to Vai's design), so they always sound kinda clean. Therefore, by sizzle, we mean more breakup on the low strings which make fast runs easier.

• Members
Originally posted by atbear

What we mean by sizzle is having more gain and break up on the low strings. If you notice, when we say it, we always say "low string sizzle." The Legacy kinda has a hard time getting distortion on low string runs (due to Vai's design), so they always sound kinda clean. Therefore, by sizzle, we mean more breakup on the low strings which make fast runs easier.

Sounds cool~! Hey; any idea how much longer 'til you get yours~? With all the versatility, you could actually have an ampfest w/ the other V3 owners and still be able to show off individual tones achieved~! :D:cool:

Archived