Best Hammond B3 clone?

hornsby

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't guess anyone still uses a Voce V5? I had one in the closet and picked up a Ventilator leslie sim pedal to pair it with. Sounds very good.

The playability of a CX-3 is great (gigged with one for couple years), but the basic tone just doesn't do it for me. Too thin and overly-processed IMO- the Nord Electro rack I replaced it with sounds fatter and a little more raw. The V5-Vent combo is another definite notch up the fatness/raw-ness scale.

• Members

I agree with everybody else in most capacities: Xk3c is hands down a kick ass, balls to the wall organ, with the best distortion, best controller, abilities, and the drawbars totally make it. Oddly enough, the Hammonds are the only clonewheels I can find that have a pitch bend and mod wheels. That doesn't seem like a desirable thing, but I've find I use them more than I thought I would.

Also, the ACTION on the Hammond is really the best ever organ wise. The Nords, including the C1, are really kinda stiff, which is cool if you don't mind having to dig in.

Another feature not mentioned often, is the XK3c's other organ models. It has a model of the solid state X5, which is a sound I personally love. It also has several transistor combo organs, which may not be authentic, but are very cool and interesting; I use them a lot.

HOWEVER, having played a Nord C1 extensively, it does have a couple of advantages. Obviously, the light weight and the dual manuals are factors. But, it also has a very nice tap tempo delay right there on top. Also, the Vox and Farfisa models are superior.

• Members

I have the opportunity to pick up a CX-3 for a good price $ 700.00. However it seems to have reached the end of it's life cycle. Any advice appreciated. Can't afford a XK3C, maybe a used XK1 if I can find one at a good price.

Regards,
Musicale

• Members

No,

Its digital version 2. It seems OK but it seems that I might be investing in a dinosaur. I don't know if Korg discontinued it, or if some stores decided to not carry it any longer. Seems it was way over priced and Hammond really took the market with the XK's. It will also cost me another 400-500 to hook it up to my leslie (122 type). But that would be the same problem even with a XK1.

• Members

Yeah you need a kit. The XK series uses the 11 pin. You proably have a 6 pin configuration for the 122. The CX-3 sounds good, I had one. Tucktronix uses one through a ventilator and it sounds good.

The XK1 uses the 8 pin .

• Members

stickman393:

The VK-8 doesn't get a lot of positive comments, but it could be that it has a darker tone than some of the other clones. Some years ago I went to see Jackson Brown and his organist had a VK series clone and it sounded fine. As much as Roland gets crap for their VK series, other players don't like the digital version of the Korg CX-3. It sounds too bright in the upper end of the KB. The old analog organ was similar but that model did not have split KB capabilities. That sucks for organ. There is always someone that finds fault in everything that is out there.

If you are satisfed with your VK-8 don't worry about what other people think. You paid for it so play it. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members

I'm still using a Oberheim OB3 squared module, with my Roland piano as controller and tube rotosphere for Leslie. It might not be absolutely the best, bit it works well in a band and I'm not really into comparing freckles on turds. That said, when I have the cash I'll get a Nord C2 so I've got two manuals plus piano. The post about the YC 20 was interesting as I can get some near Hammond sound from my YC25 with the Rotosphere- plus some excellent combo sounds to boot.

• Members

..The post about the YC 20 was interesting as I can get some near Hammond sound from my YC25 with the Rotosphere- plus some excellent combo sounds to boot.

Indeed. Way back in the early 70's, I gigged regularly with a YC-30 (still have it!) wired to a beefed up Leslie 145 (wish I still had it!).

• Members

No,

Its digital version 2. It seems OK but it seems that I might be investing in a dinosaur. I don't know if Korg discontinued it, or if some stores decided to not carry it any longer. Seems it was way over priced and Hammond really took the market with the XK's. It will also cost me another 400-500 to hook it up to my leslie (122 type). But that would be the same problem even with a XK1.

That's a decent price for the digital version. I just sold mine for $1000 (but it was mint with a flight case). It's definitely discontinued.

• Members

The CX-3 drawbars will control a Nord Electro Rack. No MIDI event processer do-thingies necessary. Plenty of room on the Korg to stack the module, too. I used that combo one weekend and was very happy.

The CX-3 should work great for controlling B-4/VB3 etc, too (although can't claim any experience with that.)

Archived