GC ripoff story, maybe, check this out...

thriftyshirt

• Members

So a friend of mine goes to a GC on vacation, somewhere near Atlanta.

Walks in and finds a '72 Silverface Super Reverb. Plays it a little and buys it on the spot.

The punchline: he paid $1500 for it :eek:

2nd punchline: it needs repairs, and he knew that when he bought it...:eek:

His exact quote: "Vintage deals like this don't come up too often..."

You tell me, did he get ripped off as bad as I think he did?

• Members

im no expert, but the price seems high. especially with the need of additional repair. im not a fender guy, but they have always made nice amps; so why didn't he looked at some newer models that cost a little less, assuming that a '72 Silverface Super Reverb wasn't a coveted model/year.

but look at it this way: if you buy a used car that you did not test drive because the transmission was blown(you were fully aware of this), then had it towed home, and tried to justify it because you think a ford maverick is a great vintage car, it's all on you. let him have it, chances are it could need some extensive repair, and that could be expensive.

• Members

It's only worth what someone will pay

your friend didn't get ripped off

if they overcharged no one would have bought it, your friend bought it, and they got a great price

people need to realize old does NOT equal awesome

there're always suckers

• Members

i had to refrain from laughing at him when he told me about it. I really had to bite my tounge, and not immediately launch into a list of "better" amps he could have picked up that would have at least been functioning properly when he bought them....

I mean just the other day i saw a '68 Super, modded and upgraded by Kendrick in immaculate condition for $1200.

• Members

Originally posted by thriftyshirt

i had to refrain from laughing at him when he told me about it. I really had to bite my tounge, and not immediately launch into a list of "better" amps he could have picked up that would have at least been functioning properly when he bought them....

I mean just the other day i saw a '68 Super, modded and upgraded by Kendrick in immaculate condition for $1200.

But it wasn't "original":rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Mods don't add value to vintage amps, to the contrary, they devalue the amp.

Exactly. Rereading the thread i realized that i forgot tom mention the SF he bought is modded too, by some no name hack....which is why it doesn't work. He bought it with the intention of having the mods reversed to 'vintage' spec....

• Members

Maybe a little bit high for it's condition but, there really is nothing wrong with the SF amps. They are well built, handwired, will last forever and a bargan when you consider what you pay for the crappy re-issuses they are making today. I have a '75 SF Twin so I'm a little bias of course, and it's served me well for 30 years, I've seen many amps come and go claiming they were better than my Twin. I don't plan to sell my Twin but if I did $1500 wouldn't touch it.

• Members

IMHO, your buddy got ass raped.

I have a '72 Super Reverb bone stock I paid $550 for about four years ago.

As far as the Kendrick amp goes, I bet that thing sounds great and is probably worth $1200.

By the way, I was in Miami last week and went to Churchills for the first time, I had a blast.

Did Two Story Double Wide breakup? I never see them any more. I loved that band.

• Members
Originally posted by STRAT TOOL

As far as the Kendrick amp goes, I bet that thing sounds great and is probably worth $1200.

By the way, I was in Miami last week and went to Churchills for the first time, I had a blast.

Did Two Story Double Wide breakup? I never see them any more. I loved that band.

Good price! Dude if your smart keep it stock, great amps don't need mods. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by STRAT TOOL

Well believe it or not, their drummer is the drum tech for Dokken, so he's with them doing something right now and 2story is on indefinite hiatus.

The lead singer (the guy who splintered that tele and busted his head open at the show that you were at) has a new band called SuperHonky, and they so some of the same songs and stuff. He's got the same lead guitarist, but a different bassist and drummer, and another dud that plays honky-tonk piany.

I think they're on myspace at www.myspace.com/superhonky

• Members

Four years ago paying $550 for a Super Reverb was a good deal.
But many prices on vintage gear in the past four years have skyrocketed, maybe unreasonably, but that is fact.

Tell the guy who bought the Super Reverb to get in touch with Larry Rodgers in Naples Florida. He is the foremost repair, restore and blackface conversion person that I am aware of that has THE golden ears for Fender amps anywhere.

He will make this amp look as good as new and make it sound better then any Super you may have heard. I've been there, know him and his work, and have played his amps live on stage.

Nothing Fender has made that is stock, sounds as good until Larry Rodgers has corrected and made the amp to spec the way it should have left the factory.

• Members

Originally posted by workinclasszero

GC's prices on vintage Fenders are just insane. Most of the time they put in fair market value into them then sell them for twice as much. At the GC I worked at there was a BF Super Reverb for $2300 with terrible ground issues and a SF Super Reverb for $1800 that had some speaker issues.

I know your right, I went in to the Medford Oregon store about 5 years ago and showed them my all original '66 Gibson ES 335 TNC and asked them what it was worth, they offered me an astonishing $800 for it. I told the guy "BS your are selling imported Gretsch guitars for twice that much", he told me "well that's because their hand made and new guitars sell for more than used guitars and your guitar is old and shows wear on the finish and frets" and he said, he didn't think he could ever sell it and would have to thak a loss on it at $800. I call that a SCAM FUKKEM!". Then 2 days later I sold it for $2400 cash to a local collector. I've never bought anything from CG since and don't plan on it. I've dealt with some of their other stores and seen similar scams going on there. The Company is full of liars, cheap crooks and wannabee's, they can all starve to death before I'll buy anything from them again.

• Members

Yes, your friend vastly over paid. He could have probably bought that for $750 to a $1000 elsewhere without half trying. Maybe even cheaper.

GC is really bad with "vintage" pricing. But it's almost not their fault. The market is allowing for a lot of the 70s stuff (especially Fender guitars and amps, and Gibson guitars) to be considered "vintage", when 10 years ago it was consider "junk".

Ironically, if the "vintage" market continues as it has been, if he waits 5 years he should be able to get his $1500 back and maybe then some. Mark my words.

• Members

Yep he got raped alright, I am sitting here looking at the Blue Book of Guitar Amplifiers 2nd edition. That amp in excellent condition is worth $875 to 1,100. The value for this amp in average condition is $700-825, sine it doesn't work I would say it is average or below. He got raped. That is why I have the Blue Book stuff for electrics and amps, so I don't end up getting raped.

Archived