2005 Oklahoma Ampest was a blast!!

BrentSP

• Members
Originally posted by rushtallica

I hope you keep kickin' ass w/ your strat and hope you get your Les Paul fixed soon~! Oh, yeah; I got home and tweaked my setup for better crunch and lead tones. If I still have this amp around next time, it should sound better, though I also have an el34 version Carvin X100B I'm working on modding to hopefully get it sounding as good as previous 6L6 versions I've had.

I'm also seriously considering getting a new Carvin V3. For $899, they have some serious distortion and cleans from the clips I've heard (such as found on these threads:
http://www.carvin.com/carvinbbs/viewtopic.php?t=1789
and
http://www.carvin.com/carvinbbs/viewtopic.php?t=1750
). I'd LOVE to have another 5150, and the combo format is awesome, and damn, those numerous high gain heads, i.e. the Aiken, Mark IV, XTC, TSL, that freakin' Brentwood, etc. have me wanting to start working a LOT of overtime again~!
:p

LOL.....i miss my carvin sooo bad MTS head...had the best cleans...and was so much more portable than this 5150 combo....but i ended up w a Gibson Gothic SG for the MTS and i jumped on it...id love to have a V3 as well...IMO carvin amps dont get near the attention on HCAF....if you are just dying for another 5150 i may be interested in a trade for that ultra :D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by anubae_obscura

LOL.....i miss my carvin sooo bad MTS head...had the best cleans...and was so much more portable than this 5150 combo....but i ended up w a Gibson Gothic SG for the MTS and i jumped on it...id love to have a V3 as well...IMO carvin amps dont get near the attention on HCAF....if you are just dying for another 5150 i may be interested in a trade for that ultra
:D

:eek:

I would have to think about it -- ONLY because I need somewhat loud cleans, but damn, a good eq in the loop of a 5150 is sweet~! :D

Actually, there was an Ultra Plus that went for $300 at musicgoround just a week ago, and another person posted a head and cab (not sure what cab, though) for $500, and I think they go for cheap on e-bay, as well. Your 5150 combo would fetch more than what the Ultra Plus amps are worth on e-bay and likely elsewhere at this point if you're really interested in getting another amp.

I'd definitely be willing to think about a possible trade, but I'm not sure if the cleans are usable enough and kinda' want to try playing through one for a short while again or possibly figure out whether setting a chorus pedal in the loop might help w/ the cleans. But I'd still recommending if you're thinking about getting rid of your amp to get more for it than the Ultra Plus is worth and just step up to a V3 or maybe a Triple X or JSX amp~! I'm not sure if you're from Tulsa, but if you want to jam through the amp, feel free to PM anytime. :cool:

• Members

Okay heres my review going from right to left in the pics.

Crate Vintage Club 50/15:

Surprised the heck out of me. Sounded great had a nice vintage tone with a cool break up. I believe it had a 15 inch Jensen speaker to which was cool. I wish I could have tried it out but him and his Father had to jet out quick due to his new house over flowing with water. :(

Peavey 5150 Combo:

I've always liked the 5150's thus why I own a 5150II. They're great amps and compete with some of the more expensive high gainers. anubae_obscura really sounded awesome with it as he's a monster player. I think he sounded even more special combine with borrowing my LP black custom :p. By the way, ask anubae_obscura how much he paid for it and you'll be sick. He's a great player, friend and co-worker. I love this guy like a brother.

Brentwood Epoch:

Its my own amp so its really hard to not be bias. Lets just say I'm very proud of it and I've put tons of thought, hours and work into building it. I really enjoyed hearing all the guys play through it. It was refreshing and exciting all at the same time.

Peavey 5150II:

This is my amp. I will be holding on to this one for a long time since the 5150's are not made anymore and I'm also a Ed head. It sounds great with a lot of guitars but sounds the best to me with my EBMM Axis. Decent clean, nice crunch and great aggressive lead tone. Again it hangs with with the rest nicely

Mesa Mark IV:

I love this amp. It was mated with my Bogner 212 w/ v30s and I love the smooth ripping tone this thing creates. The versatility is unreal with this amp. When I demoed it I realized later that some of the push/pull pots where not engaged like I normally have it set up. Its covers a wide spectrum of tones but you to have to be patient in dialing it in if your a noob to it. After you get the hang of it its a breeze.

Aiken Sabre:

This is just a bad ass amp IMO. The tones from Randall's Sabre is truely a remarkable and the craftmanship is a work of art. Fender Super Reverb Clean and high gain modded Marshall all in one box. I mean come on what else do you need ;). Randall Aiken is one of the nicest and most friendliest guys I've met and his customer service is outstanding. Aiken's mentor for amp building is Jim Marshall, well I can honestly say as I have a great respect for Randall, I consider him my Mentor. He if lived closer to me he would have to have a restraining order against me. :D

Roccaforte HG100:

Everyone got to hear the unholy evil power of the Roccaforte. Watching peoples hair blow back as I turned up the master was quite entertaining.........this amp is one loud mofo. Great marshalleque tone with Doug's own voicing. When you talk to Doug he's blunt, to the point, and doesn't care to chat (at least to me) but he still has great customer service and will help you out as much as he can. His amps sounds great and I love my HG100. Now if I can only sound like J-Mart.

Orange Rockerverb:

This amp sounds great. It really impressed me last year at Ampfest and it did this year to. This is one amp I'd love to own. It has a nice cross of warm, aggessive, smooth, edge all wrapped up in one big high gain tone. The design is totally unique and sounds like no other amp I've hear. Kannibul loves this amp to and I don't blame him.......he sounded great thru it. Kannibul is a great player and I love his AIC riffs.

Kannibul's 69 Plexi clone w/PPIVMV

I still have one of these from George at Metroamps.com and these kits are great. Mine is in a thousand pieces at home or else I would have brought it. Theres nothing like a cranked plexi with the tones controls on 10. I love the bright aggressive character of the 69 Plexi. Great cleans, crunch all with a turn of the volume knob on the guitar. We tried it with my Roccaforte Bastard pedal it went from barking to pit bull pissed off. Kannibul did a great job of building it.

Marshall TSL100:

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Kannibul's TSL and his G1230 loaded Marshall cab is the best TSL I've heard. I'd take his TSL over any DSL or current Marshall any day of the week. I'm really not BSing his really has this nice open crunch and high gain with his cab. I think the secret to his is the speakers and maybe the tubes.

Bogner XTC Classic:

Pfff do I really need to say anything about this amp? I used to own one (101B) and most of you guys know how much I loved it. I think if I ever did get another one it would be the Classic version. They just have more teeth but still have the bogner tone. I love these amps. Jerry (allthewayto11) is an insane and fluid player and this amp seems to fit him to a tee. He's a successful lawyer that plays extremely well. I think he'd be a good friend to have. :D

Fender Bassman 59 reissue:

Man this thing is a blues machine. After Jerry played it for us I could have sworn everyones neck was bleeding a tad bit.........this thing will slice your head off its so loud. I love the greasy gooy tone of this things and of course Jerry sounded amazing playing SRV/Hendrix licks through it.

Peavey Ultra Plus:

Rushtallica Ultra really floored me. I've played one and liked them but have never heard one up very loud. Its a very versatile amp clean, crunch, lead. It sounds like a bit more compressed high gain Marshall and is very clear sounding. Rushtallica can tear it up on the guitar very well to. I really wish he could have stayed longer but I understood. By the way I ow you $6 :) He also had a Behringer Vamp head there but he never demoed it for us.

Palette:

The most unique amps I've ever seen in my life. Very unusual from the norm but they sound great. This is mainly a 2 gain stage, meat and potatoes, hi fi guitar amp. Wonderful full bodied clean and a bit of grit when pushed a bit. Robert is a outstanding guy to talk to and I respect his approach to building a guitar amp. He's not a guitarist so hus thinking and design is totally different. I hope he'll come back next year and wish him nothing but the best of luck.

wheeew.........I'm tired from typing.

• Members

Next year you bastids, next year! :D

Glad to hear you guys had somewhat of a good time. Sorry about the blow-hard, maybe next year we could get a stun-gun for the 'fest for crowd control and control of generally unpleasant people. :) I'm in a gracious mood this morning. ;)

How far is Meeker from Muskogee/Ft. Gibson? I've got family all over the state I can visit and maybe kill two birds with one guitar and all...

BTW, if I drive up from BR... We're at least gonna have an ampfest in a Super 8 parking lot until the cops get there if it fizzles out because of the afore-mentioned Generally Unpleasant People

• Members
Originally posted by BrentSP

Okay heres my review going from right to left in the pics.

Crate Vintage Club 50/15:

Surprised the heck out of me. Sounded great had a nice vintage tone with a cool break up. I believe it had a 15 inch Jensen speaker to which was cool. I wish I could have tried it out but him and his Father had to jet out quick due to his new house over flowing with water.
:(

Peavey 5150 Combo:

I've always liked the 5150's thus why I own a 5150II. They're great amps and compete with some of the more expensive high gainers. anubae_obscura really sounded awesome with it as he's a monster player. I think he sounded even more special combine with borrowing my LP black custom
:p
. By the way, ask anubae_obscura how much he paid for it and you'll be sick. He's a great player, friend and co-worker. I love this guy like a brother.

Brentwood Epoch:

Its my own amp so its really hard to not be bias. Lets just say I'm very proud of it and I've put tons of thought, hours and work into building it. I really enjoyed hearing all the guys play through it. It was refreshing and exciting all at the same time.

Peavey 5150II:

This is my amp. I will be holding on to this one for a long time since the 5150's are not made anymore and I'm also a Ed head. It sounds great with a lot of guitars but sounds the best to me with my EBMM Axis. Decent clean, nice crunch and great aggressive lead tone. Again it hangs with with the rest nicely

Mesa Mark IV:

I love this amp. It was mated with my Bogner 212 w/ v30s and I love the smooth ripping tone this thing creates. The versatility is unreal with this amp. When I demoed it I realized later that some of the push/pull pots where not engaged like I normally have it set up. Its covers a wide spectrum of tones but you to have to be patient in dialing it in if your a noob to it. After you get the hang of it its a breeze.

Aiken Sabre:

This is just a bad ass amp IMO. The tones from Randall's Sabre is truely a remarkable and the craftmanship is a work of art. Fender Super Reverb Clean and high gain modded Marshall all in one box. I mean come on what else do you need
;)
. Randall Aiken is one of the nicest and most friendliest guys I've met and his customer service is outstanding. Aiken's mentor for amp building is Jim Marshall, well I can honestly say as I have a great respect for Randall, I consider him my Mentor. He if lived closer to me he would have to have a restraining order against me.

Roccaforte HG100:

Everyone got to hear the unholy evil power of the Roccaforte. Watching peoples hair blow back as I turned up the master was quite entertaining.........this amp is one loud mofo. Great marshalleque tone with Doug's own voicing. When you talk to Doug he's blunt, to the point, and doesn't care to chat (at least to me) but he still has great customer service and will help you out as much as he can. His amps sounds great and I love my HG100. Now if I can only sound like J-Mart.

Orange Rockerverb:

This amp sounds great. It really impressed me last year at Ampfest and it did this year to. This is one amp I'd love to own. It has a nice cross of warm, aggessive, smooth, edge all wrapped up in one big high gain tone. The design is totally unique and sounds like no other amp I've hear. Kannibul loves this amp to and I don't blame him.......he sounded great thru it. Kannibul is a great player and I love his AIC riffs.

Kannibul's 69 Plexi clone w/PPIVMV

I still have one of these from George at Metroamps.com and these kits are great. Mine is in a thousand pieces at home or else I would have brought it. Theres nothing like a cranked plexi with the tones controls on 10. I love the bright aggressive character of the 69 Plexi. Great cleans, crunch all with a turn of the volume knob on the guitar. We tried it with my Roccaforte Bastard pedal it went from barking to pit bull pissed off. Kannibul did a great job of building it.

Marshall TSL100:

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Kannibul's TSL and his G1230 loaded Marshall cab is the best TSL I've heard. I'd take his TSL over any DSL or current Marshall any day of the week. I'm really not BSing his really has this nice open crunch and high gain with his cab. I think the secret to his is the speakers and maybe the tubes.

Bogner XTC Classic:

Pfff do I really need to say anything about this amp? I used to own one (101B) and most of you guys know how much I loved it. I think if I ever did get another one it would be the Classic version. They just have more teeth but still have the bogner tone. I love these amps. Jerry (allthewayto11) is an insane and fluid player and this amp seems to fit him to a tee. He's a successful lawyer that plays extremely well. I think he'd be a good friend to have.

Fender Bassman 59 reissue:

Man this thing is a blues machine. After Jerry played it for us I could have sworn everyones neck was bleeding a tad bit.........this thing will slice your head off its so loud. I love the greasy gooy tone of this things and of course Jerry sounded amazing playing SRV/Hendrix licks through it.

Peavey Ultra Plus:

Rushtallica Ultra really floored me. I've played one and liked them but have never heard one up very loud. Its a very versatile amp clean, crunch, lead. It sounds like a bit more compressed high gain Marshall and is very clear sounding. Rushtallica can tear it up on the guitar very well to. I really wish he could have stayed longer but I understood. By the way I own you $6
:)
He had a Behringer Vamp head there but he never demoed it for us.

Palette:

The most unique amps I've ever seen in my life. Very unusual from the norm but they sound great. This is mainly a 2 gain stage, meat and potatoes, hi fi guitar amp. Wonderful full bodied clean and a bit of grit when pushed a bit. Robert is a outstanding guy to talk to and I respect his approach to building a guitar amp. He's not a guitarist so hus thinking and design is totally different. I hope he'll come back next year and wish him nothing but the best of luck.

wheeew.........I'm tired from typing.

Hand cramps much mang!?!: :p thanks for the kind words...did mean to say that my dad had a blast as well...really wish he woulda pulled out the blues but he was rather insecure after hearing jerry, aaron, and the lot play...hell...i was too....i know...ill play some pink floyd through a 5150 :D lol....cant say how much of a fun time he and i both had...thanks for letting us attend! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Big Hair

Nice review Brent - I think I'd like to check out the Roccaforte sometime

Its a great amp but its unpractical for bedroom (which is NOT the reason I bought it) and don't ever use a hotplate or else bad things will happen. Other than that it kicks ass.

• Members

So,

About the Pallete Amp for cleans...

My reference for the best clean tone has allways been a Fender. Twin Reverb more specifically.

How would the Pallete compare to some of the great Fender clean amps? (Wasn't the Twin a pretty HiFi design to start with?).
Why would anyone pay 5K+ versus any of the great Fenders if clean is the main goal?

• Members
Originally posted by Reeko2

So,

My reference for the best clean tone has allways been a Fender. Twin Reverb more specifically.

How would the Pallete compare to some of the great Fender clean amps? (Wasn't the Twin a pretty HiFi design to start with?).

Why would anyone pay 5K+ versus any of the great Fenders if clean is the main goal?

IMO the amps were a little different-sounding in comparison to most Fenders I've played, though it got really good Fender-recorded tones such as Eric Johnson has gotten on Tones, etc., but IMO the Bassman 412 was really close in pleasing my ears as far as cleans go, and when it was boosted sounded magnificent~! :cool:

I don't lightly give praise to an amp when I say I like its clean about as well as any I've heard for blues, though I'm not necessarily a blues-man myself and seem to end up throwing blues-based songs to the high-gain wolves and metalizing such tunes. :o

I wouldn't mind having one of those Palettes at all, but I definitely don't have those kinds of bucks as can be seen with a quick view of my rig in those pics~! :(:)

• Members

Originally posted by Reeko2

So,

They are different in sound than a Fender...

• Members

BTW your a pretty darn good drummer.

Wow - thanks!

I've been thinking of getting another kit and really working to get back to where I was before I switched to guitar...

But then I think about how much drums project (through walls, and so on), and how much they cost (about as much as an XTC Classic for a decent set and cymbals) - and then I think I'd rather just have the XTC Classic - lol!

I'm too apprehensive playing now - I think too much and don;t have the groove that I used to. It's most noticeable when I'm coming out of fills, or jumping in... Playing by myself, where I don't have to concentrate as much, I can play all kinds of wierd stuff - I think I was playing some 5/4 and 9/8 at one point - lol.

• Members

Pics are not working due to so many hits (31,000 according to my account) Just click on the link below and scroll down a bit. You'll have to wade through some photos of gear and my family. Sorry for the inconvenience.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v160/BrentSP/

Page 5 has my favorite picture :)

makes me want to take up Golfing.

Archived