2005 Oklahoma Ampest was a blast!!

BrentSP

• Members

Thanks to all for coming out I had a lot of fun.

Crate Vintage Club 50/15:

Surprised the heck out of me. Sounded great had a nice vintage tone with a cool break up. I believe it had a 15 inch Jensen speaker to which was cool. I wish I could have tried it out but him and his Father had to jet out quick due to his new house over flowing with water.

Peavey 5150 Combo:

I've always liked the 5150's thus why I own a 5150II. They're great amps and compete with some of the more expensive high gainers. anubae_obscura really sounded awesome with it as he's a monster player. I think he sounded even more special combine with borrowing my LP black custom :p. By the way, ask anubae_obscura how much he paid for it and you'll be sick. He's a great player, friend and co-worker. I love this guy like a brother.

Brentwood Epoch:

Its my own amp so its really hard to not be bias. Lets just say I'm very proud of it and I've put tons of thought, hours and work into building it. I really enjoyed hearing all the guys play through it. It was refreshing and exciting all at the same time.

Peavey 5150II:

This is my amp. I will be holding on to this one for a long time since the 5150's are not made anymore and I'm also a Ed head. It sounds great with a lot of guitars but sounds the best to me with my EBMM Axis. Decent clean, nice crunch and great aggressive lead tone. Again it hangs with with the rest nicely

Mesa Mark IV:

I love this amp. It was mated with my Bogner 212 w/ v30s and I love the smooth ripping tone this thing creates. The versatility is unreal with this amp. When I demoed it I realized later that some of the push/pull pots where not engaged like I normally have it set up. Its covers a wide spectrum of tones but you to have to be patient in dialing it in if your a noob to it. After you get the hang of it its a breeze.

Aiken Sabre:

This is just a bad ass amp IMO. The tones from Randall's Sabre is truely a remarkable and the craftmanship is a work of art. Fender Super Reverb Clean and high gain modded Marshall all in one box. I mean come on what else do you need . Randall Aiken is one of the nicest and most friendliest guys I've met and his customer service is outstanding. Aiken's mentor for amp building is Jim Marshall, well I can honestly say as I have a great respect for Randall, I consider him my Mentor. He if lived closer to me he would have to have a restraining order against me.

Roccaforte HG100:

Everyone got to hear the unholy evil power of the Roccaforte. Watching peoples hair blow back as I turned up the master was quite entertaining.........this amp is one loud mofo. Great marshalleque tone with Doug's own voicing. When you talk to Doug he's blunt, to the point, and doesn't care to chat (at least to me) but he still has great customer service and will help you out as much as he can. His amps sounds great and I love my HG100. Now if I can only sound like J-Mart.

Orange Rockerverb:

This amp sounds great. It really impressed me last year at Ampfest and it did this year to. This is one amp I'd love to own. It has a nice cross of warm, aggessive, smooth, edge all wrapped up in one big high gain tone. The design is totally unique and sounds like no other amp I've hear. Kannibul loves this amp to and I don't blame him.......he sounded great thru it. Kannibul is a great player and I love his AIC riffs.

Kannibul's 69 Plexi clone w/PPIVMV

I still have one of these from George at Metroamps.com and these kits are great. Mine is in a thousand pieces at home or else I would have brought it. Theres nothing like a cranked plexi with the tones controls on 10. I love the bright aggressive character of the 69 Plexi. Great cleans, crunch all with a turn of the volume knob on the guitar. We tried it with my Roccaforte Bastard pedal it went from barking to pit bull pissed off. Kannibul did a great job of building it.

Marshall TSL100:

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Kannibul's TSL and his G1230 loaded Marshall cab is the best TSL I've heard. I'd take his TSL over any DSL or current Marshall any day of the week. I'm really not BSing his really has this nice open crunch and high gain with his cab. I think the secret to his is the speakers and maybe the tubes.

Bogner XTC Classic:

Pfff do I really need to say anything about this amp? I used to own one (101B) and most of you guys know how much I loved it. I think if I ever did get another one it would be the Classic version. They just have more teeth but still have the bogner tone. I love these amps. Jerry (allthewayto11) is an insane and fluid player and this amp seems to fit him to a tee. He's a successful lawyer that plays extremely well. I think he'd be a good friend to have.

Fender Bassman 59 reissue:

Man this thing is a blues machine. After Jerry played it for us I could have sworn everyones neck was bleeding a tad bit.........this thing will slice your head off its so loud. I love the greasy gooy tone of this things and of course Jerry sounded amazing playing SRV/Hendrix licks through it.

Peavey Ultra Plus:

Rushtallica Ultra really floored me. I've played one and liked them but have never heard one up very loud. Its a very versatile amp clean, crunch, lead. It sounds like a bit more compressed high gain Marshall and is very clear sounding. Rushtallica can tear it up on the guitar very well to. I really wish he could have stayed longer but I understood. By the way I own you $6 He had a Behringer Vamp head there but he never demoed it for us.

Palette:

The most unique amps I've ever seen in my life. Very unusual from the norm but they sound great. This is mainly a 2 gain stage, meat and potatoes, hi fi guitar amp. Wonderful full bodied clean and a bit of grit when pushed a bit. Robert is a outstanding guy to talk to and I respect his approach to building a guitar amp. He's not a guitarist so hus thinking and design is totally different. I hope he'll come back next year and wish him nothing but the best of luck.

Sorry for some of the blurry pics I had the wrong setting on the camera.:rolleyes:

wall2.jpg

Wall1.jpg

rushtallica

rushtallica2.jpg

Rushtallica.jpg

5150_Crate.jpg

Plexi_TSL.jpg

Palette.jpg

Orange.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Man, you're a nice dude Brent. I would have eliminated every picture that had Pallete amps.

or at least the pics of my ugly @ss playing the Samick~! :cry::o:thu:

A big@ss thanks to Brent for putting on the show, and I hope none of the bs in that other thread gets in the way of another ampfest~! I've got some work to do before the next one, and I didn't realize how chubby I've been getting~! :eek::(

I should've just gotten something to eat down the road and come back. I really wanted to hear more of several of those amps~! :cool:

• Members

Heres some comments/reviews etc that were on the original ampfest thread that I'm copying over here instead.

Originally posted by rushtallica

Hey~! It was really good to meet all you guys, and there were lots of cool amps, tones, and playing to be heard~! I was really impressed with the amps I was sure I would be anyway, i.e. Mesa Mark IV, Bogner, Roccaforte, but I was also really, really impressed with the ALL the amps that were made by the people there~!

One was demo'd by a young guy who had some really tasty Eric Johnson style playing, and the amp was absolutely perfect for that style and other clean tones; Alltheway to 11 put a real hurt on things with his XTC and Bassman, playing styles ranging from Eric Johnson to Steely Dan to Metallica to Vai & EVH, etc.~! The Brentwood amp was thunderously HUGE, and it was great to hear Brent demo each amazing amp he had~! Kannibul's Plexi-kit amp sounded awesome, as well, and I was really impressed with how it sounded great from clean all the way to mean (and the Orange was sweet, and the TSL sounded great as well!)~!Anubae's Crate Vintage amp surprised me with it's volume and tone, as well, and I always feel a little guilty when I hear 5150's and regret ever selling the one I had.
:p

BTW, I apologize for bailing early; I was really enjoying things, but I was already feeling a little messed up from not eating anything substantial before coming out, only eating peanut butter cups there (
:p
), and I have hypoglycemia pretty bad and should've known better to eat first, but I got behind trying to get a multi-AC adaptor so I could hook up my Dimebag wah and new Zoom Tri Metal pedals along w/ the eq's, and I got hung up at Guitar Center too long, though I should have stopped and grabbed some MacDonalds or something along the way. Anyway, I was starting to feel pretty out of it before leaving and apologize for bailing early (and for not practicing more before going~!) and hope you guys are still having a lot of fun~! If there's another one next year, I'll be better prepared~! Thanks for hosting it and for showing up~!
:cool:

Originally posted by kannibul

I think Allthewayto11, BrentSP, and myself stayed around until, what - 9:00-9:30?

We did take a food-break at some decent/good mexican place - though, the Margarita I ordered wasn't all that good. Allthewayto11 says it's because I went for Frozen over "on the rocks"...

Oh well. I guess that means I need to make myself one tomorrow, to remind me of what a good one tastes like
:)

Of all the amps I listened to and played through, I'd say the Bogner XTC Classic and Brentwood impressed me the most - to the point of creating a bit of GAS...

I think if Allthewayto11 lived closer, we would have continued until one of us dropped from exhaustion. Way too much potential for lots more fun in that room.

Originally posted by Allthewayto11

Just got home and too tired to post much, but I will say this--Brent's amp kicks much arse. If he could make it a channel switcher without altering the lead tone, he would give Bogner a run for his money. It's really that good. Had fun guys--thanx.

• Members
Originally posted by kannibul

$12,983,000 and it's yours.

Brent's got a whole new perspective on how to handle his pricing
:)

Brent allready gave me a price a loooooooooong time ago. I'm talking to him right now.;):D

Archived