Long lost synth companies

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ARP.. Never had or even played one, but they sound so good (judging from demos of course). It's an interesting thought what would have become of Ensoniq if it were still making keyboards. They would be so ahead of their time...

• Members

Oh, yeah, and ElectroComp.... the only four oscillator analog in a Minimoog sized enclosure ever. Patch cords + internal routing. What an awesome machine.

I talked a guy out of a Minimoog into one of those. I wonder if he ever regretted it. Somehow I doubt it.

• Members

I don't know about ARP from a technical aspect. "Some" of their gear was junk, like the Arp Omni II, which unfortunately, I bought. One good investment was the Arp Odyssey Model III I bought, which works well to this day. Still, not the greatest quality in the world, but back in those days those companies were seriously underfinanced and the equipmemt (like the Prophet 5) was experimental compared to the others. What...a Z80 microprocessor in a KB? Say what? We thought the Prophet 5 was the greatest invention since SEX. I still have mine, it is an excellent quality build, whats more, it still works and STILL sounds great!

Mike T.

• Members

ARP is my favorite. The build quality is pretty crappy. But mine still works and I've never had it serviced. A very regal, yet sad, feminine sound. Very easy to dial in a great sound and then change it on the fly without getting lost in tons of routing and modulation options.

• Members

I've been a big fan of Kawai synths over the years. They are still in business making pianos, but have dropped out of the synth market. I thought the K1 was an affordable competitor to the DX-7 at the time. I spent a lot of time programming one and was able to get some great ambient music sounds out of it. Then the K4 came out and improved on the K1. But the ultimate was the K5000 series. A truly unique sounding synth in a world of romplers. I still have my K5000R and don't ever plan to sell it.

• Members

Before E-MU devolved into rompler land and soundcard land, before even their breakthrough Emulator, they made some of the finest modulars in the world.

meh... emu had breakthroughs like the polyphonic assignment system for keyboard controllers and their role in the development of SSM ICs but their modulars were pretty sterile. I've had flight time with one at Audities.

And Dave Rossum refuses to design analog ever again. Where is he these days anyhow?

• Members

EML

EDP

Ensoniq

Oberheim (the *real* Oberheim)

Quasimidi

Redsound (synths)

Casio (pro synths)

Sequential

Elka

Crumar

each company had at least one *special* sound gem

musing on what they designed and never released (or what they would be making now) is the stuff of my dreams

• Members

meh... emu had breakthroughs like the polyphonic assignment system for keyboard controllers and their role in the development of SSM ICs but their modulars were pretty sterile. I've had flight time with one at Audities.

Well, the system I built sounded great to me. It blew away my previous synth, an EML 101, for fatness and balls.

Not to mention their modular step sequencer, still the best ever.

Archived