making A LOT of money, from a microkorg

les_rokr

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think his music is cool.

I think the synth sounds are lame.

However, fantastic sounds mean nothing if they are not in the context of a good song.

Dude writes good songs, which is really what its all about.

• Members

I don't like the MicroKorg either, but I'll admit I've heard people who could make it do cool stuff.

My experience with it is thus: I was at a warehouse party where a jam band was the entertainment, and the band said, "hey you play keys...why don't you play with us for a while?" and they pointed me to a MicroKorg. So I had to figure it out on the fly, three sheets to the wind. I thought that the programming matrix was counter-intuitive, and it was irritating that nearly every sound had an arpeggiation pattern saved to it. Anyways, I muddled along enough.

But it made me long for my Little Phatty. I'd rather four or five awesome sounds than sixty mediocre ones.

• Members

i know that all music is derivative of something.. nothing exists in a vacuum.. but if this douchebag has a studio, its located on the lower back portion of ben gibbards nutsac.

gibbard is {censored}ing brilliant and has an amazing voice, and the dude from dntel that programs is equally original and good. this guy cant sing, writes retarded ass lyrics, and is just a 100% postal service clone without any of the soul or originality that makes the ps great.

it is seriously offensively bad to me. as far as im concerned the only people with an excuse to take this excrement seriously are 13 year old emo girls that dont know any better yet. seriously dude. i dont get how a deathcab/postal service fan can like this. i honestly thought it was a joke the first time i heard it.

oh yeah, not to mention, its christian. {censored} all.

• Members

The production is so smooth that it's almost making me nauseous.

It doesn't even sound human. It just sounds like a computer was told what pop music was and created it without any human interaction.

Or if that computer were given the wikipedia article for pop music as a guiding reference.

I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. Definitely too sanitized for sure. Makes me ask myself, "If I wanted to hear the rest of this album, would it be widely distributed so I could find it in a store, or do I need to find an elevator or hold line that plays the latest releases?"

• Members

i know that all music is derivative of something.. nothing exists in a vacuum.. but if this douchebag has a studio, its located on the lower back portion of ben gibbards nutsac.

gibbard is {censored}ing brilliant and has an amazing voice, and the dude from dntel that programs is equally original and good. this guy cant sing, writes retarded ass lyrics, and is just a 100% postal service clone without any of the soul or originality that makes the ps great.

it is seriously offensively bad to me. as far as im concerned the only people with an excuse to take this excrement seriously are 13 year old emo girls that dont know any better yet. seriously dude. i dont get how a deathcab/postal service fan can like this. i honestly thought it was a joke the first time i heard it.

oh yeah, not to mention, its christian. {censored} all.

Dude, I think you're holding back, tell us how you really feel....

• Members

This thread is BS.

I went to the pics section and he has a MicroKorg alright, but in all pics his hands are actually on a Korg Kontrol 49. So I'm pretty sure it's mostly just sequenced stuff on a computer using softsynths. He probably reaches out to the MicroKorg once or twice on a set. On the 2nd song I heard (I heard the first two), he does a little lead that sounds like the MicroKorg. Nothing else in either song sounds like a MicroKorg at all.

Nothing to see here folks... it's (almost) all softsynths...

l_27a058c08539d4b1000646d6f1196ee3.jpg

Oh and the idea that he's making lots of money... half the pictures are him playing for birthday parties, these must be playing good :lol:

• Members

MicroKorg was my very first synth and I haven't ever hated as much anything else... it's not because of minikeys, low poly, user-interface.... it's because of it's boring and lifeless sound. The filter was the most boring ever... all warmness is gone... and this was even titled as VA Synth??? I doubt it deserves it.

At that time I was listening very much of JM Jarre and loved those analog basses of Equinox... so obviously I tried to make MK to sound same... at least this was virtual analog synth? NO! God it was sooo frustrating to make any good analog bass out of it! Even the mighty unison didn't make it much better.

Also, the sound is not just boring, but somehow not professional... it sounds pretty cheap actually. My next synth after I sold MK was Korg X3 and god I was happy with just, just because it had so much better sound quality. Although all those electric synth sounds and sort of stuff was all gone, I was very happy to still have those great synth strings and Korg X3 always sounded in any way great for me after MK. At first I hated digisynths because I wanted analog sounds, but Korg X3 said to me "it's better to have high quality digital synth than boring and cheap VA synth"... so my "digi-hate" became "VA-HATE". :lol:

Anyway... now I am very experienced "AnalogGuy" and I am still thinking this great phrase which says "it's not about what a keyboard can do, but what a man can do with the keyboard". If I would face MicroKorg again and would be enough cheap, I would buy it and make a new try... after all it was just that analog basses that lacked balls, but I liked its strings and all other synth sounds... I still remember lovely Retro section. And the vocoder was also very handy and fun. Visual arpeggiator and vocoder were the coolest features.

After all I can say, it sounds cheap but it is in fact cheap synth although it offers pretty much features within that small size... good to buy for fun, but for anything serious, at least I gived up... the conclusion of it for me was that it was made basically for those trance/dance/rap/anything newbies who craved some "cool synth" sounds for cheap but actually never heard of analog synths. So for that point I can tell you again that it wouldn't deserve VA synth title at all.

• Members

As an occasional MK user I would say that the sound potential is there. If you don't like the presets than tweak it. It's a synth for goodness sake! I have used it in a few tracks and it works.

The mini keys make sense for the portability aspect. The Micron and X-station are great mini synths, but the large keys make runs quite difficult. That extra octave really makes a difference.

The Vocoder is a nice bonus. Sure it's not a Sennhesier, but it works.

• Members

This thread is BS.

I went to the pics section and he has a MicroKorg alright, but in all pics his hands are actually on a Korg Kontrol 49. So I'm pretty sure it's mostly just sequenced stuff on a computer using softsynths. He probably reaches out to the MicroKorg once or twice on a set. On the 2nd song I heard (I heard the first two), he does a little lead that sounds like the MicroKorg. Nothing else in either song sounds like a MicroKorg at all.

Nothing to see here folks... it's (almost) all softsynths...

l_27a058c08539d4b1000646d6f1196ee3.jpg

Oh and the idea that he's making lots of money... half the pictures are him playing for birthday parties, these must be playing good
:lol:

Strong words CR (or should I say letters) :lol:

We passed your image to the CIA and there technical team confirm he is using the big thing to control the small thing with a cable at the back after much high tech image analysis........ JK'ing......

:lol:

• Members

I think the first thing toward loving or even tolerating MK is realizing its sound IS NOT going to be anything like a VINTAGE ANALOG ...

Personally, I don't hate the MK sound -- although it never seemed to sit well in a recorded mix -- but it's everything else that gets in the way ...

I'd much rather have a true eight-voice MS2K than an R3 (maybe even an Radias ... The sound is a little too shiney for me ... )

Archived