Marshall JCM800 vs DSL100

keith335

• Members

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

Too many people think owning an amp is a competition.
:wave:

I dont think its about the amp being a competition. I thinks its more that people are insecure about their opinion so they feel that they must confront anyone who has a different opinion. That or they are to dumb to realise that its only an opinion on something that is 100% subjective.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do you want a DSL to sound pretty damn close to an 800? Crank the gain on the crunch mode of the green channel. Crank the volume. Now, that may not be dead on, but they are definately cousins.

Both are great amps, but I own a 2204. Had a DSL100 (for a short time), a TSL60 for a couple years, and a 2205 for about 6 months. They all sound like Marshalls, and to 95% of people in an audience, they'll pretty much sound the same with a full band.

• Members

Originally posted by DannyM

I dont think its about the amp being a competition.

Well then why do they use terms like "runs circles" "eats for breakfast" which is competitive actions?

I thinks its more that people are insecure about their opinion so they feel that they must confront anyone who has a different opinion.

Maybe that they are insecure, so they think they have to exaggerate it and make it masculine and superior. To project such a image.

That is what I have always thought all along.

That people who make such comments are insecure, trying to project images of machoism as a self defense mechanism.

• Members

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

No, I am saying the way he is expressing his opinion is pretentious and silly.

I don't own either amp, no bias here.

Just because an amp has different characteristics or sounds different, doesn't mean another amp is BETTER.

Too many people think owning an amp is a competition.
:wave:

It's better for me, and that's my opinion. I'm entitled to dislike an amp and love another.

• Members

After reading all this {censored}, here's my 2 cents. They're both great amps. Not every Dsl sounds the same, and not every 800 sounds the same. Unless you've played and tweaked at least a dozen of each, it's hard to say that one in particular sounds bad etc. I personally like the DSL for the clean channel, the reverb, and the added gain on tap. They're both cool, but I'll take my DSL and leave the overdrive and reverb pedal at home.

• Members

The 2203 has a bit more punch, is simpler and sounds great. The DSL/TSL has more options, more versatility. More gain and sound great in their own right.

The 2203 sounds great with an SD-1 and a 1960, the DSL/TSL doesn't need a boost and sounds harsh with a 1960 cab.

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

The 2203 has a bit more punch, is simpler and sounds great. The DSL/TSL has more options, more versatility. More gain and sound great in their own right.

The 2203 sounds great with an SD-1 and a 1960, the DSL/TSL doesn't need a boost and sounds harsh with a 1960 cab.

I run my DSL through a 1960 A w/gt1275's at 16 ohms, and it's not harsh at all. With the volume under 2 or 3, it's got some issues, but once you get just a bit of powertube saturation, it's smooth as anything I've played.

• Members

Originally posted by paul6string

I run my DSL through a 1960 A w/gt1275's at 16 ohms, and it's not harsh at all. With the volume under 2 or 3, it's got some issues, but once you get just a bit of powertube saturation, it's smooth as anything I've played.

+1

I got a DLS into a 1960A and dont think its one bit harsh - especially with the volume at around 4.

I personally had the choice of a 80's JCM800 or the DSL for the same price and i took the DSL. I need the extra gain and the clean channel. Don't regret the decision one bit.

Its NAILS Iron Maiden and Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction tones especially. Also great for early Metallica, AC/DC, etc...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

After reading the first few posts, it's amazing how people automatically dogpile on anyone who disses the JCM2000. It's almost like they know their amp sucks, but they can't deal with the fact that they paid over a grand for it, so they have to dog others that dog on their amp, because truly it's a sore spot with them.

It's like "yah, deep down, i know my amp sucks, but i'll just lie to myself and tell myself that it sounds just as good as a jcm800, and when anybody tries to tell me otherwise, i'll call them nasty names and tell them they don't know what they're talking about."

Seriously...

people wouldn't {censored} with you all so much if you weren't so hostile with other peoples' opinions. After all, this IS a discussion forum, not a "all hail the marshall DSL/TSL forum".

:rolleyes:

• Members

I've never owned an 800 but, I would love one! Right now I'm digging the DSL.

I have owned a 8280, JCM900, TSL60, TSL100, and now the DSL.

So far the DSL has been my favorite.

Funny thing is I'm serching for that 80's Hard Rock tone that so many JCM800's produced.

I'm pretty close with the DSL. To me it's kinda like a Hot Rodded 800 (and then some). Maybe not as mid-rangey or quite as punchy.

Although the Classic chl. in the crunch mode might sound cool with my OD-3 :idea: I'll have to try this.

Now I'm not saying it's better or worse then an 800 or anything else, because I'm not like that. I've matured a little in over 46 years ( I'm still a bad speller though). Nore am I insecure in my decessions or choice of equipment.

If the DSL does'nt do it for me I think a JCM800 will be my next amp. If I can afford it I will have BOTH

:thu:

But, I still want to try a 900SLX, and a Laney VH100R, and a Rivera KH, and a ..................:freak:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Duesentrieb

:D

Its easy:

- you need a good clean? DSL

- you just need a dirty crunch sound and will bost it for solos: 800s

- you need a loop for rack-fx: DSL

- you want to be hip: 800s
;)
- you need a clean, crunch and lead in one box? DSL

Or this:

3amps.jpg

:eek: I'd be afraid to stand in-front of that and play a chord. It would rip my balls right off

• Members

The DSL is way better in every way I've owned several of both, in fact if I wanted I could dial in the exact same tones on either amp, repeat exact same tones! However the DSL has more balls more punch & just sounds bigger but I'm not surprised people are not liking DSL's, no one seems to know how to dial them in around here! There is a secret to it.

• Members

Originally posted by wayneman

The DSL is way better in every way I've owned several of both, in fact if I wanted I could dial in the exact same tones on either amp, repeat exact same tones! However the DSL has more balls more punch & just sounds bigger but I'm not surprised people are not liking DSL's, no one seems to know how to dial them in around here! There is a secret to it.

I wouldn't quite say that. I've said before I can get them to sound similar. Both are great heads in their own right. The JCM800 has adifferent "feel" though IMO. Hard to explain without having people A/B it for themselves. It has more bite. Has more sustain at lower gain. I dunno.... Individually, they both are amazing sounding amps to my ears. Together they sound amazing. All I care about

marshalls.JPG

• Members

its all personal taste isn't.

by the way, Hi, my name is wiz. I'm from the UK.

I would love for you guys to try my own design amp. The WKZ Little Devil.

Its smooth and organic, switchable gain boost and dual masters.

its probably somewhere between and plexi and an early 800.

I think it would give you guys what youre looking for

cheers

wiz

• Members

Originally posted by WKZ Amps

its all personal taste isn't.

by the way, Hi, my name is wiz. I'm from the UK.

I would love for you guys to try my own design amp. The WKZ Little Devil.

Its smooth and organic, switchable gain boost and dual masters.

its probably somewhere between and plexi and an early 800.

I think it would give you guys what youre looking for

cheers

wiz

Dude, maybe your should contribute something to the community other than your amps. They may be good but I suspect a backlash soon. Cheers Lucius:wave: :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by geek_usa

After reading the first few posts, it's amazing how people automatically dogpile on anyone who disses the JCM2000. It's almost like they know their amp sucks, but they can't deal with the fact that they paid over a grand for it, so they have to dog others that dog on their amp, because truly it's a sore spot with them.

It's like "yah, deep down, i know my amp sucks, but i'll just lie to myself and tell myself that it sounds just as good as a jcm800, and when anybody tries to tell me otherwise, i'll call them nasty names and tell them they don't know what they're talking about."

Seriously...

people wouldn't {censored} with you all so much if you weren't so hostile with other peoples' opinions. After all, this IS a discussion forum, not a "all hail the marshall DSL/TSL forum".

And Ill raise you another :rolleyes: for talking out of your ass. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by geek_usa

Seriously...

I think this thread has stayed pretty civil. Anyone who says a DSL is complete crap, but the 800 is the bomb is an idiot. I've owned both and sold off my 2000s in favor of the 800. I prefer the 800 sound.

I would say that, overall the 2000s are in a favorable stretch on HCAF right now, but they've gone through phases where they have been dragged through the mud. I just think this comment looks rather troll-ish.

Archived