I'm looking for a new head. Any suggestions?

Tosis Maguill

• Members

Originally posted by Tosis Maguill

I want to buy a new head.

I'm really interested in all-tube, but don't have much money, so I'm looking for stuff under $1000.

I play metal music, so both clear highs, as well as lows, while maintaining good sustain and great tone is a must.

Thanks for any help!

Laney :love:

Marshall :thu:

Peavey :cool:

Randall :confused:

I probably missed a few.

You might wanta elaborate more on your tastes to further narrow your choices :)

• Members

I have a Peavey Ultra Plus, and those amps go cheap, have 3 channels (clean, crunch, ultra), and aren't bad at all with an eq pedal in the loop to bring out the amp's tones.

The new Carvin V3 has some people selling off their Peavey JSX amps after getting. You can check out the Carvin discussion forum for more info: www.carvin.com

Peavey Classic amps and older Carvin X100B amps can kick @ss with a boost pedal in front (i.e. tubescreamer, Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss SD-1, etc..).

I was also actually impressed with the sound the Marshall TSL Kannibul brought to an ampfest recently, though he's put some decent tubes in it, as well.

Lots of others, but it may depend on exactly what types of music you're wanting to cover altogether with it. :)

• Members

Originally posted by TechMetalMan

What sort of bands would you list as tonal influences or musical influences that show in your playing style?

Metal has all sorts of sub-genres- so saying that you play metal doesnt really narrow the tone search down.

Well..

To be honest, it's more metalcore.

Among the lines of All That Remains, Unearth, or As I Lay Dying.

• Members

Crate BV150h. Comes with crappy tubes, though.

LOt's of them. It'll cost about $200 more or less to replace them with good tubes-estimate is based upon $10 per preamp tube, $20 per powertube.

Ask GreasyGeo about his, and ask him if he's replaced the tubes and ask him about his clips, although he isn't a metalcore player.

Archived