Check Out My Home Made Cabinet

Strat man 69

• Members

Originally posted by Cowinacape

Looks great, I have toyed with the idea myself, so that brings me to a question for you, when you applied the tolex, did you wrap it around the box, or front to back? How did you hide/deal with the seam where the tolex comes back and meets itself?

Thanks all. I had never applied tolex before so I took a look at my friends Mesa Subway Blues amp. It has 1 piece of tolex wrapped around the amp with the seam on the bottom about 3/4 from one edge. You want a nice clean cut on both ends of the tolex to help hide the seam. I did not do too bad a job but I will get better the more I do. The corners are hard to do if you plan on letting them show. On this cabinet I used full wrap around corners so my cuts did not matter. I also learned alot from a guy on Thegearpage.net. His name is Scumbag. It helped alot. My cabinet has a 12 inch width so I used one peice of tolex that was about 16 inches in width and wrapped it around the cabinet with the seam on the bottom. I used a water based contact cement. It was 9 buck at Lowes. I looked on Mojotone.com and they wanted 40 bucks for theirs. The Lowe's cement worked great. I bought my Tolex and hardware from Partsexpress.com. Their tolex looks just like Boogie tolex. I did buy Marshall grillcloth off the web. The black grillcloth at Partsexpress is ok buy not as nice as the Marshall tolex. Thanks again.

• Members

Here is a pic of the first cabinet I made. It is a copy of a Mesa Oversized 1X12 cabinet. I also made the Boogie emblem. This cabinet is made with the Partsexpress black grillcloth. If you look close you can see I did not use full wrap around corners so my cuts had to be good because they show.

• Members

Here is a pic of the back of the 1X12 Boogie cabinet. I copied a Groove Tube cabinet I saw on the web for the back. I thought it would be easy buy it was hard to tolex the hole. I do not think I will make another one with a hole in the back like this one again. Took way too much time.

• Members
Originally posted by Strat man 69

Here is a pic of the first cabinet I made. It is a copy of a Mesa Oversized 1X12 cabinet. I also made the Boogie emblem. This cabinet is made with the Partsexpress black grillcloth. If you look close you can see I did not use full wrap around corners so my cuts had to be good because they show.

• Members
Originally posted by Strat man 69

Here is a pic of the back of the 1X12 Boogie cabinet. I copied a Groove Tube cabinet I saw on the web for the back. I thought it would be easy buy it was hard to tolex the hole. I do not think I will make another one with a hole in the back like this one again. Took way too much time.

Archived