OT: Programming languages

kooki_sf

• Members

anybody here hate "design patterns" as much as me?

aaaaaargh !!

One of these days, I'm tellin' ya, i'm going to read ONE function name too many with the word "singleton" in it and juuuust go POSTAL...

9780596007126_lrg.jpg

That book (or its cover anyway) makes design patterns a little easier to deal with :D

• Members

anybody here hate "design patterns" as much as me?

aaaaaargh !!

One of these days, I'm tellin' ya, i'm going to read ONE function name too many with the word "singleton" in it and juuuust go POSTAL...

i like the architectural theory (I have the set of books from christopher alexander)

but just like the architectural stuff, its not really a cookie cutter, when you see the terminology used as class names or member functions its a sign to run away...

also, something curious i have noticed here in japan. everyone codes in english. the literature is still all translated though.. im currently on a quest to find the wizard book in japanese, seems like it would be a good mind{censored} :)

• Members

also, something curious i have noticed here in japan. everyone codes in english. the literature is still all translated though.. im currently on a quest to find the wizard book in japanese, seems like it would be a good mind{censored}
:)

I experienced a bit of this a few years ago. There was a project in Japan that I worked on briefly, and I flew over for a few weeks (in Hachioji) to pore over embedded C code written by Japanese coders that I was trying to inject some of my own code into.

All of the names and labels were in English, but often in "engrish". The comments, however, were entirely in Japanese and I couldn't understand a word of it, nor could I even see the proper characters in my editor!

It was... difficult. :lol:

• Members

I am an expert programmer with many languages and am comfortable with C/C++ and OOP.

My main beef with OOP is the error messages should NOT be ABSTRACT

I took a course on windows programming, this was using the API library that preceded WIN95. Years later I am on an MFC project trying to debug some code which is largely uncommented. Digging deep into the MFC code I find function calls to the original API library! MFC is merely a damn layer on top of the API!

Some people should not develop C++ programs as I've seen some stupid things done.

• Members

Digging deep into the MFC code I find function calls to the original API library! MFC is merely a damn layer on top of the API!

Well... yeah. :cool: That's all MFC has ever been, along with just about every other language or framework on Windows. They all eventually call the Win32 API at some point. Around here, we point and laugh at MFC for being bloated and obscure and wonder why it still exists. Personally, I've been using the Win32 API since its inception, and the old 16-bit Windows API even before that.

• Members

I have seen Access used very effectively for things like holding all the results of a large set of optical ray traces. Everything was automated by the guy doing it using VB.net from setting up his models, parsing traces out to multiple workstations asynchronously, tracking simulations, visualizing the results in Matlab, and storing everything in Access databases including the visualization results. He wrote whole suites of classes for building geometries for his models, too - very cool. The scale was fine for Access and the ease of use made it slick for him - and very effective for designing new things.

Yup, depending on scale, VBA/Access is a fine tool. Especially when coupled with SQL server. No, it's not gonna be the back end for Amazon.com, or the New York Stock Exchange, but when used (and designed properly) it's actually quite powerful and flexible.

With the GUI, for RAD with a DB, it's hard to beat. I wrote an inventory system for a 50 million dollar a year company using access. The Bar Code and Scanner SW both exposed a VBA object model, so everything was automated.

Once I understand a DB schema, I can Ad Hoc just about anything quickly. With a little polishing, I can deploy to a 10-20 user enviroment pretty effectivley with Forms, Menus, Log Ins, Usage Capturing, Etc....

• Members

I think the only language I hate is c++, way way to many ways to do the same stupid thing which is bad for readability and maintainability.

I do hate most programmers even more than c++. Way way to many programmers that are not qualified to do the job and not capable of banging out functional applications/enhancements without someone writing down every detail for them. Or they just throw around buzz words but can't really do much of any actual coding. Or they claim they are an expert in a language but they really are not (I see no way of being an expert in a language in less than 4-5years of daily bang out production code use.) Or they don't know how to handle multiple users using the same data without corruption or .... And way to many programmers that don't speak good english and can't run a meeting to save their life.

Honestly, when I look at a resume if there is a lot of Access work it goes in the junk pile.

Can you tell I'm bitter and burnt out?? Ok, back to the stupidly short deadline I have.

• Members

Yup, depending on scale, VBA/Access is a fine tool.

Which is exactly the problem since the people who make the decisions about "let's use this for everything" have no clue about scale. Due to Access putting everything in a single file and using the OS to lock files, 10 concurrent users can bring it to a grinding halt.

Besides, there's SQL Server Express, which is free - and the Visual Studio.NET Express versions integrate awesomely with it. Do try it - you'll like it.

• Members

The people I know here in R&D who use Access are using it just for themselves to track their own stuff. Some people use it to track their experiments, some the special materials in their lab, some their simulation results. Theoretical physicists and bench chemists are just using the tools available to get themselves organized. But yeah, our chemical stock room contracted out something in SQL and when I was in one large OLED lab cranking out huge amounts of data that we needed to share we also went straight to SQL (had the job bid but never actually budgeted it).

I consider myself to be a professional mathematical modeler who uses programming as a tool. If I write a GUI for myself to perform statistics on large sets of my data or track device performance in a lifetime experiment and additional code to dump the results to plot automatically in Origin and then give the code to 6 of our engineers and researchers and they use it for 5 years successfully does that make me a professional programmer or a hack?

I try to write code that is readable, well formatted, and very well commented so that I can look back at my old code and remember what I did in 5-10 years (or more). I even put comments in my input files that describe all my parameters and then strip them out in the code that reads the input. I learned to do that from a friend here my first week on the job almost 17 years ago :). I also usually write good notes and/or a detailed technical report (no code but lots of math) and if a parameter is called a Greek letter "beta" in the report/notes then it is "beta" in the code. One of the great things about applied math / theoretical physics is that it often happens that code / algorithms you wrote a long time ago find new applications in the future. Then you yank them out again, dust-em off, and feel nice and smug that your work was worthwhile a second time :D

The two places I have felt pain caused by software engineers brought in the loop were (1) when they add so many layers of obfuscating and unneeded BS like database security for a laboratory-level project that should have something like 6 files in one folder but ends up with a directory structure bigger than the Polish-Lithuanian side of my family tree (2) when they just can't understand the math and algorithms necessary to write the code to perform the computations and take too long to ask for help and/or refuse to try to learn something new and/or admit that it is just beyond them.

• Members

I like C#, and I enjoy Visual Studio. I've been through everything from BASIC on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum through ARexx, the whole Linux open source craze and so on, and these days I just want something that gets the job done really, really fast.

As much as I admire the idea of malloc()ing the crap out of everything, I really just don't care anymore. :)

• Members

After spending most of the week in vb.net it's nice to go back to vb6. How sad is that. Not being able to modify code on the fly while testing is a total pain in the ass.

I miss it when back when people used to think what you did was magic, now they just expect the miracle instead.

Archived