I think my tubes are blown but im not sure. What tubes should i try

comecon_186

• Members

Hey

I think my tubes finally went, but im not positive. The amp is a vox ac30HW. What are some ways to tell besides that no sound whatsoever is coming out of the speakers ? (i also tried hooking it up to a 4x12 and checking to make sure the tubes

weren't loose).

And what tubes should i look into putting in my vox

• Members

before tubes go, they will usualy give you a warning, bad sound, flabby bass, lifeless.............
did you check your fuses? first thing to look at when there is no sound.
do the tubes still glow?
how old is the amp?
that amp uses el84's if I am not mistaken, I prefer the jj's for those, nice breakup, great warm distortion and good articulation.
dougs tubes is a good guy to get them from.
http://www.dougstubes.com/

also, jerry from fja http://www.fjamods.com/

• Members
Originally posted by Tnjpekar

before tubes go, they will usualy give you a warning, bad sound, flabby bass, lifeless.............

did you check your fuses? first thing to look at when there is no sound.

do the tubes still glow?

how old is the amp?

that amp uses el84's if I am not mistaken, I prefer the jj's for those, nice breakup, great warm distortion and good articulation.

dougs tubes is a good guy to get them from.

also, jerry from fja

Get something sturdy because the voxes push the snot out of the power tubes. Lord Valve has a couple great options for that amp,including some cold-war era 7591's.

• Members

The only way to really know if your tubes are bad, weak or good it to test them with a tube tester. Most TV repair shops will let you test them your self for free. If they read in the weak or bad area replace them, it may only be one tube or the whole set that is bad or weak, if your overdriving your amp lots then it could be just the preamp tube. If you replace the Power tubes replace the driver tube as well even if it test good, just save it as a back up. I also recommend you test the new tubes before you install them, and check them for shorts and grid leakage. I've found plenty of so called "New tubes" that were crap.

• Members
Originally posted by tlbonehead

Get something sturdy because the voxes push the snot out of the power tubes. Lord Valve has a couple great options for that amp,including some cold-war era 7591's.

Hey can you tell me more about this Lord Valve ? is there a link or such ?

• Members

I think Vox used Mullard valves in their amps.
The best EL84's I have used are certainly Mullards. I have tried quite a few different brands too. Each has a different sort of sound. Try various brands and see which you like.
Of the current production types I like EI's most.
In my experience NOS stuff is better sounding and longer lasting.
Best thing is to find some valves that you like, and buy enough to last a while.
I have hoarded away enough Mullards to last my lifetime in my Cornford Harlequin.
Here is some good info about various brands of valves;http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin/documents/testreport_47.pdf

Archived