What are your favorite software instruments?

Tomkeen

• Members

LIVE has some terrific sounding instruments within the new vers. - a bit out of your price range, however

Z3ta+ is so inexpensive now - Amazon.com for under $100

GURU for drums is so versatile & has many, many layers & samples

Reason or Komplete might be all you need

• Members

I don't have many soft synths (Most of my studio is still hardware), but the ones I have are

the ones in Reason 4:

Subtractor = a bit vanilla but useful

Malstrom = cool

Thor = powerful

some of the ones from Cakewalk Sonar:

z3ta+ = really, really, really cool synth

dimension pro = nice rompler-substitute

Triangle & Pentagon = powerful analog-likes

Native Instruments FM7 = replaces the DX7.

Among the free ones, I enjoy using:

fxpansion Orca

Crystal

Delay Lama

Free Alpha

PolyIblit

Tal Elek7ro & U-No-60

and the outstanding PowerWave P8... really really good soft synth..

Here I have some demos from

z3ta+:

z3ta_big.jpg

First Contact

Organish Pad (sorry for the slight clipping.)

Analog Bass 2 (with some added 909 samples)

Rave Standard Arp (also with added 909 samples)

constantly moving

No 303

Jupiter-8 bass

and here I have some examples from Dimension Pro:

DimPro.gif

01 Accordion

02 Acoustic Drum Kit

03 Alto Saxophone

04 Analog Pad

05 Bamboo Flute

06 Bass & Wurlitzer Electric Piano

07 Clarinet

08 Classical Choir & Strings

09 Clavinet

10 Digital Pad

11 Dulcimer

12 Electric Guitar With Tremolo

13 Elka Rhapsody

14 Female Vox

15 Fingered Bass

16 Grand Piano

17 Hammond Organ 16 & 1

18 Hammond Organ

19 Male Choir

20 Mellotron Male Choir

21 Mellotron Strings

22 Minimoog Lead

23 Mute Trumpet

24 Rhodes Electric Piano

25 Roland VP-330 Choir

26 Slap Bass

27 Special FX

28 Synth Bass

29 Tenor Saxophone

30 Trance Lead

31 Violins

32 Wavy Digital Pad

---

• Members

I'm not using my soft-synths very much these days, but I still really like the sound quality of ImpOSCar, the granular, random and chaotic stuff of Reaktor, (the "electronic instruments" synths are really good), MicroTonic is probably the best drum synth out there,...

I have several more soft-synths, but those are the one that pop into my mind right now. At some point, I'll probably buy Korg Legacy Digital collection, because I want to try the soft version of the Wavestation, and maybe Zebra.

• Members

Softies? Try some of these:

VAZ Modular - great sound with low CPU hit. AWESOME filters!

Waldorf Largo - new, fresh, and that typical Waldorf sound. You kinda don't need it because you have Blofeld. But then, get Licence SL and SPECTRE and fill the Blo with your own samples!

z3ta+ - one nasty mother{censored}er of a synth. Great filters here, too. Nice FX.

GSi VB3 - better Hammond emu than NI B4-II, IMHO.

GSi ZD6 - Clavinet model. Sounds awesome to me.

Stillwell OLGA - gritty and ugly son of a bitch. I love that beast.

Try the free Elektrostudio plugin pack. 10 VSTs for FREE. Awesome sound, even if they are not quite as true to their originals (some of them). They have very inspiring presets, and I just like to sit and play them! Get them here.

KLCD is a must definitely.

OP-X is also a mother, great sound, but a little off-putting GUI (small knobs)

SQ8L if you like Ensoniq stuff. But since the entire GUI of ESQ-1 is duplicated, editing a patch can be a chore. It's free, too. But, only 8 poly. The full version SQ8X is highly anticipated for years already. Unfortunately, seems like the developer is quite busy doing other stuff...

NI Kontakt 3 is the best sampler around.

Also, I really, really love Addictive Drums for drums. Great plugin.

There are more but I think those are just enough :)

• Members

That's an interesting point, I've been running Massive in standalone and it is a lot more focused.

Yeah. Makes me wonder why more software makers don't make their synths standalone and the ones that aren't standalone, why give them FX? :confused:

• Members

Not really got too heavily into softsynths, but the
Korg Legacy Collection
and
Crystal
have been a somewhat pleasent experience so far.

Always quite liked the look of
Virsyn-tera
. Maybe I will give it a go at some point.

I like Crystal a lot too, it's great for a free synth. Hell, I'd pay for it.

Also, nobody mentioned Novation V-Synth? I like that one.

• Members

Absynth is the only one I've actually paid money for after trying lots of demos out. It's often pigeonholed as a pad/effects synth but you can do lots more than that with it.

I also wonder why more softies can't run standalone, since my rig is mainly hardware (including my multitracker) I actually prefer that to running inside a DAW.

• Members

I also wonder why more softies can't run standalone, since my rig is mainly hardware (including my multitracker) I actually prefer that to running inside a DAW.

Why run them standalone when you have programs like Brainspawn Forte or Plogue Bidule?

• Members

That one positively has me holding my pants in terror.

I demo'd some of HGFortune's stuff including AlioNoctis and found it odd and counter-intuitive. Many of the presets sounded cool for spacey drones but started to all blurb together after a while. WTF does "Inferno / Spooks" do anyway?

• Members

Most of the stuff I'd recommend has been mentioned. If you like OP-X Pro though, in that same SE vein, you could check out Memorymoon Messiah. It's not quite as faithful as OP-X in terms of being a Prophet 5 emulation (although I still think OP-X is somehow closer to the more precise tones of the OB-8 than an OBX :) ) but people who like OPX will probably find it worth their time, and it's not very expensive..

Another is the (VCS3 inspired) modular emulation, XILS 3, from XILS Labs, which is the company of the ex-Arturia coder Xavier Oudin who left to do his own thing. This was the result..

http://www.xils-lab.com/pages/XILS-3-audio-samples.html

Oh, and it's probably safe to add DCam Synth Squad to the list when it's released next month :)

• Members

Well, go to Brainspawn's webpage for example, and see what Forte offers:

* route different VSTs to different soundcard outputs

* manage presets over the course of the song/song sets

* in-depth MIDI filtering per VST

Basically, you can set multiple VST configurations and switch them with a footpedal (via program change or something), you can save patch changes related to a certain song, then juggle the order of song in the set list - whatever floats your boat. If your band's setlist is changed from night to night, that is indespensable.

Imagine how much time would you use by doing all that manually, per VST. In Forte, you load up your VSTs, assign them to MIDI channels, give them various outputs (if needed), set layers/splits if necessary, filter unneeded MIDI messages (for example you want aftertouch to affect that pad sound, but not the synth string sound, or whatever), and save that as a patch. Then you have several patches during your song, that's good too. Forte can load up all VSTs beforehand (including samples in Kontakt or whatever) so you can have seamless patch change (that also depends on the VST, will they produce an audible gap or not) etc.

MANY OPTIONS which you don't really get when you just open a bunch of softies in standalone. At least not AS INTUITIVE as with Forte.

• Members
OK, maybe I'm ignorant but what advantage do I get with running a softsynth from inside another program rather than standalone? Just curious.

The additional routing features of that program, whether that's layering one synth on top of another via a keyboard split, or performing additional tasks on incoming MIDI data, or just routing the audio through far better FX. Even simple hosts tend to give a few more options than just running it standalone..

Archived