This decade may be musically the SHITTIEST one of the century?

Leandrusi

• Members

a lot of people seemed to agree with this post i made a couple of years ago in a thread about EBM:

in the US and Europe we have been in this sort of innovate new music then subculture then pop culture process for half a century- by the time a new genre became popular there were dozens of new genres percolating in the underground clubs-

but that well of innovation exploded into hundreds of new scenes in the 80s and 90s- but for about ten years music in general has waned- pop culture is merely recycling the last 15 years over and over and there aren't really any major subcultures doing new things- all the underground seems to also be recycling-

I think the whole 'Rock 'n' Roll' revolution which brought music to the masses and created the whole popular music culture and subculture paradigm is in decline- to be honest it seems popular music underwent the same apocalyptic climax from 75-95 as painting in the 50s and 60s: a culmination of all previous work into explorations of all possible forms to their most abstract and extreme elements [this period saw everything from violent noise/metal/industrial to ambient/new age]- after a medium has exhausted all the conventional possibilities and all the abstract variations there is no new ground to cover that isn't merely recycling-

so like how after abstract expressionism in the mid 60s there was pop art and collage which basically was a coda for the medium that took elements from everything and brought them together for one last exploration of the whole concept of image- in music I see the same thing as there was a MAJOR sense that all of the various popular and underground forms of music cultivated in the 70s and 80s were simultaneously coming to an end - and waiting at the end was this giant party called a Rave were the new forms of music were being born- but there was the collage element again with all the sampling of EVERYTHING being thrown into DJ sets-

everything was very different- before new genres were only slightly updated versions of the old stuff- but Acid House and Techno were very different- the beats were like an evolutionary leap in rhythm- and the overall edge of the new sound made all the old pop/rock/alternative/industrial/goth/hip-hop/etc seem very dated- even the way music was made and distributed changed- we went from bands of musicians releasing LPs and playing gigs and their songs being popular for a year or more- to producers and DJs anonymously creating cut-and-paste music released as one-offs to other Djs and their music being cool and new for only a few weeks- and whole sub-genres would be born and die over a few months- you could literally have a cold and miss a whole new genre come and go-

the old pop genres tried to keep fresh by using the new beats and sounds- but it never really worked- the same goes for EBM- it started to sound like psytrance with distorted vocals- tried to adapt but it couldn't work- in the end we had nearly 20 years of house/techno exploring every combination of noise like collage in painting- now we have been stuck in the decline as everything really distinctive has been done- it's all endless retroism and recycling now- but I think we should take a more Japanese approach to art from now on- in Japan innovation is not as important as perfection- that is once you have a new idea you don't just quickly explore it and move on to the next idea- you take time and perfect the idea and explore it completely- it is time to take all of this blur of innovation in music from the last 30 years and really explore and perfect those styles

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Beautiful

there is some great hard techno these days- I'm into Mark EG and Blackout audio/ the Anxious / Glenn Wilson/ and Carlos Rios:

[YOUTUBE]PdA97wkLsV4&fmt=18[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bS8UeG9nVnc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Yeah sure, sorry I forgot man, I'm not allowed to have an opinion.

Won't happen again, sorry boss.

There's a huge difference between an opinion counting and the right to have one. In this case it just doesn't count imo, but I never said you're not allowed to have an opinion.

• Members

Pop music was ok until the '80 ruined everything with videoclips and marketing. All the best rock artists are from the '70: Kansas, Queen, Kate Bush, Jimi Hendrix, Elton John, AC/DC, Led zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith and the list goes on and on. Is it a coincidence that all these people are from the '70? Today we can't really consider pop music as music anymore, it's all about money. Kids can't defend themselves from the media, it's stronger than them, they need an idol to think of and dream of. And there's no doubt that producers are responsible for promoting ignorance and abusing teenagers. Would a father give junk food to his kids everyday only because that's what they want? No. But that's what Simon Cowell and friends are doing everyday and nobody is gonna stop them just because they are not doing anything illegal:facepalm:

• Members

Some of my favourite bands are:

Enter Shikari

Horse The Band

Worlds End Girlfriend

The Octopus Project

Abandon All Ships

An Albatross

Alexisonfire

A Change Of Pace

65DaysofStatic

Bloc Party

High Contrast

Rusko

TC

CunninLynguists

I'm not going to list anymore since I would be here for the rest of the week.

• Members

the 2000's have been unique. previous decades had much better mainstream popular music, but I think some of the music made this decade blows away anything made in the past. Bands like russians circles, animal collective, godspeed you black emporer, sigur ros, dredg, the flaming lips, etc etc blow away anything that came out of the 80s or 90s.

• Members

the 2000's have been unique. previous decades had much better mainstream popular music, but I think some of the music made this decade blows away anything made in the past. Bands like russians circles, animal collective, godspeed you black emporer, sigur ros, dredg, the flaming lips, etc etc blow away anything that came out of the 80s or 90s.

Completely agreed.

Some of the stuff you guys think is great on here (mainly some 80's cheesy crap) is garbage compared to Animal Collective.

Animal Collective is amazing, better than most of the music some people here listen to.

The Antlers are probably the best band out there right now. Dude wrote a whole album about his girlfriend dying of cancer in the hospital.

Two stands out wonderfully. If you don't like this song, you just don't like good music.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Also, The Dodos.

3:13 and the amazing starts.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Yes, I find most of that stuff almost painful to listen to, although I can't deny the genius in a few of the Floyd tracks and can recognize Stevie Wonders talent even if I'm not keen on the music. The one on that list I have listened to, Kraftwerk, I find fairly monotonous if not taken in small dosages. As significant as they were I also think people tend to ignore others using synths at that time, and so their significance is often overstated IMO. Put another way, I don't think things would've been much different today had they all died on the autobahn in 1974..

Disagree totally. I have a friend who listens to 80s electro a lot and after hearing that I had a listen to Kraftwerk and realised the influence.

• Members

i disagree too. it's not that they were using synths, but how they used them. what is interesting to me is that while everyone was doing southern, progressive, glam, punk rock, hooked on bach and disco, you had people like kraftwerk, throbbing gristle, cliff the normal and cabaret voltaire doing their own thing that wouldn't be realized until almost fifteen years later until the post post punk bands started picking up electronic influences.

however though you can draw a straight line from kraftwerk to electro and almost every other electronic music style.

• Members

I haven't been a fan of mainstream music since Maxwell, Soul II Soul, and Black Box, so I'm only unsatisfied with the majors.

Lots of great stuff out there but you have to separate yourself from the lamb herd.

Long live vinyl!

• Members

How come you are totally ignoring 90% of current music in favor of selecting and criticizing a {censored}ty pop music scene?

Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Sunset Rubdown, Wilco, Fleet Foxes, Animal Collective, etc. are all groundbreaking musical acts with huge, important releases in the last decade. "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot", "Merriweather Post Pavilion", "Random Spirit Lover", and more will become required listening years down the road. Frankly, I think this decade has been better than the previous two musically, and in terms of talent and invention potentially up there with the 60s.

YES!

:love:

:thu:

:wave:

• Members

Not only was the last decade of music uninspiring and uninventive (you could throw the 90s in there too), but the level of musicianship has decreased dramatically. Even commercial electronic music sucks today. The stuff most do in their bedrooms is 100 times better.

There is a significant difference in musical knowledge, dexterity, complexity and execution in song composition between artists of the 70s-80s and today. There is a whole lot of mediocrity out there now. One of the biggest exceptions is Tool and they have been around quite a while at this point.

Where are all the keyboard, guitar, bass and drum legends today? All the best musicians are still artists from the 70-80s. Who today is the next Eddie Van Halen, Neil Peart, Angus Young, Geddy Lee or Keith Emerson?

And what happened to song bridges? They practically don

• Members

The more I think on this, I've found my musical tastes go more for individual albums and not groups or decades as a whole....

When I think back on what I like and has influenced me, I think of Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. I think of Machine Head. I think of Physical Graffiti. I think of Rumors and Who's Next. Revolver and Bitches Brew. Rain Dogs and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. Live At Leeds. What's Going On. Pet Sounds. Exile on Main Street and Apostrophe. Songs in the Key of Life and Slowhand. Graceland. So. The Joshua Tree. Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic. Jagged Little Pill. Brilliant Corners. At the Village Vanguard. Back at the Chicken Shack. American Idiot. etc etc.

I look at albums....not really when they were made. I like some music that was made within the last year. I like some music that was made 60 years ago. That's just how I am. Sure, there is some really {censored}ty music made in just about EVERY decade, but there's also brilliant music in every decade also.

• Members

what do you guys expect? :lol: with the internet, music has simply become fashion .. and not the other way around. it's ironic because in the middle 90's when people started downloading and really getting into the internet i was appalled at how most people ranted like they felt the band owed them something, like they owned the band. well i guess now they do .. they get easily digestible music they can strut around in their costumes to.

• Members

uhh, lets review your comprehension and decimal placement skills:

decade= 10 years

century= 100 years

:)

Let's review your comprehension of the entire thread...where it says right there in the thread title: "This decade may be musically the {censored}TIEST one of the century". Since this century isn't over until 2099 and this is the first decade of that century, my original comment is totally valid.

EDIT: having just written that, I suppose I can see where the confusion came from.

I suppose I should have written that as "Well, since this century is just starting, it's hard to judge if THIS DECADE is the {censored}tiest." I just assumed people would know I meant the decade.

• Members

Not only was the last decade of music uninspiring and uninventive (you could throw the 90s in there too), but the level of musicianship has decreased dramatically. Even commercial electronic music sucks today. The stuff most do in their bedrooms is 100 times better.

There is a significant difference in musical knowledge, dexterity, complexity and execution in song composition between artists of the 70s-80s and today. There is a whole lot of mediocrity out there now. One of the biggest exceptions is Tool and they have been around quite a while at this point.

Where are all the keyboard, guitar, bass and drum legends today? All the best musicians are still artists from the 70-80s. Who today is the next Eddie Van Halen, Neil Peart, Angus Young, Geddy Lee or Keith Emerson?

And what happened to song bridges? They practically don

• Members

Disagree totally. I have a friend who listens to 80s electro a lot and after hearing that I had a listen to Kraftwerk and realised the influence.

I didn't say they weren't an influence, I said it was overstated! Listen to what people were doing 20 years BEFORE Kraftwerk and you'll perhaps realize what I'm saying isn't so far off the mark..

Tom Dissevelt And Kid Baltan. The year? 1957..

MSoAzONw-a4

Kraftwerk are known not because they were first to do something, but rather because they were amongst the first to package it a way that could be popularized and allow other people a chance to hear and be influenced by it. Pioneers? Certainly. Significant? Of course. But unique enough that everything would've been different without them? Arguable..

Archived