This decade may be musically the SHITTIEST one of the century?

Leandrusi

• Members

the 2000's have been unique. previous decades had much better mainstream popular music, but I think some of the music made this decade blows away anything made in the past. Bands like russians circles, animal collective, godspeed you black emporer, sigur ros, dredg, the flaming lips, etc etc blow away anything that came out of the 80s or 90s.

Maybe I am weird but I just don't get Sigur Ros. They tend to send me to sleep.

But...very much agree that there is terrific music out there that simply no longer makes it into the "mainstream" which is a real shame. Or at least is not played enough on the radio.

Mainstream has become way more bland and unadventurous IMHO

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think Song of the Second Moon could have came out in 1957. Correct me if I am wrong, but the synthesizer wasn't even invented. IMO, Walter/Wendy Carlos was probably the first influential musician to use the synthesizer. Switched on Bach and Clockwork Orange are brilliant.

• Members

My main problem with music today is. Where is the heavy stuff? Where is the new death metal or techno of today?

Lots of metal this decade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xEYz74bMHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loGXDKEwFZs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKejR834VKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MH4P2WudnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MH4P2WudnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_fb-XmW5EQ

And I don't listen to much techno, but there's this:

http://www.myspace.com/solieb

• Members

I don't think Song of the Second Moon could have came out in 1957. Correct me if I am wrong, but the synthesizer wasn't even invented.

You're wrong, it was indeed 1957. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_Baltan

Precursors to what we call synths today were around longer than most people realize too, it's just that they were being used like traditional organs at that time. A nice example is the Novachord, which was made between 1939 and 1942. Someone restored one, added some reverb, and made a CD from what resulted.. Some sound clips here http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/novachordrestoration

• Members

You're wrong, it was indeed 1957.

Precursors to what we call synths today were around longer than most people realize too, it's just that they were being used like traditional organs at that time. A nice example is the Novachord, which was made between 1939 and 1942. Someone restored one, added some reverb, and made a CD from what resulted.. Some sound clips here

Thanks, good info. I personally would have to say that Kraftwerk had more influence on music than Song of the Second Moon or even Wendy Carlos. Early synth-pop seem to come directly from what Kraftwerkwas doing. The synthesizer music prior was more classical rather pop.

• Members

Not only was the last decade of music uninspiring and uninventive (you could throw the 90s in there too), but the level of musicianship has decreased dramatically. Even commercial electronic music sucks today. The stuff most do in their bedrooms is 100 times better.

There is a significant difference in musical knowledge, dexterity, complexity and execution in song composition between artists of the 70s-80s and today. There is a whole lot of mediocrity out there now. One of the biggest exceptions is Tool and they have been around quite a while at this point.

Where are all the keyboard, guitar, bass and drum legends today? All the best musicians are still artists from the 70-80s. Who today is the next Eddie Van Halen, Neil Peart, Angus Young, Geddy Lee or Keith Emerson?

And what happened to song bridges? They practically don

• Members

Stop listening to mainstream music.

I don't listen to mainstream music numb nuts. I'm 53 and I listen to fusion, and old jazz like Coltrane, Miles and of course tht Beatles. I just happen to catch this {censored} on TV once in a while and it makes me want to scream.

• Members

I don't get why anybody worth their hit-selling salt would waste their time these days trying to push an underground act into the mainstream.

It's much simpler and more profitable to steal their ideas and put a candy wrapper on it.

Bands always fall apart after a short time, especially when they become successful. Then there are the "real" fans that went to see them at (insert name of sh*thole venue here) that will accuse them of "selling out" to no end.

So just make everything happen based on what someone else already did for you, and do it in the studio with names no one has ever heard of.

The underground has always been the place where mainstream music gets its ideas and its "decoration." Nothing more, nothing less.

Seriously:

If you think underground music should be played more on the radio, get involved in community supported radio. There are a lot of college radio stations out there with flighty on-air talent that could use more reliable people with some interesting taste and a decent voice to be there at 12-3am on a Tuesday so the programming director doesn't have to come into the station half way drunk to fill in last minute.

• Members

Im NOT saying there was any interesting music in the past 10 years. Where did I say that?

Where I want to go is that the , lets call it, "development" of musical genres kind of stop its evolving rythm to just stay around what it was done before.

Of course there was stupendous music on this decade, but what happened on the 60 or 70 that is not happening now is that there was all this music, all this thoughts, ideas and music elements that DID NOT EXIST until then.

• Members

Bands like russians circles, animal collective, godspeed you black emporer, sigur ros, dredg, the flaming lips, etc etc blow away anything that came out of the 80s or 90s.

"that's just like, your opinion man..." the dude.

I'd take this over Godspeed anyday.

Also, I'd consider Flamming Lips a 90's band 100%

Animal Collective is close but somethings missing. I think by the time they find it my band will be ahead of them to be honest.

• Members

I don't listen to mainstream music numb nuts. I'm 53 and I listen to fusion, and old jazz like Coltrane, Miles and of course tht Beatles. I just happen to catch this {censored} on TV once in a while and it makes me want to scream.

Those are good, but you also need to try the indie music of this decade too. Or underground rap.

You gotta expand your horizons.

• Members

If you think underground music should be played more on the radio, get involved in community supported radio. There are a lot of college radio stations out there with flighty on-air talent that could use more reliable people with some interesting taste and a decent voice to be there at 12-3am on a Tuesday so the programming director doesn't have to come into the station half way drunk to fill in last minute.

if one was so behooved, internet radio (shoutcast ect) also provides a viable alternative venue. most college radio stations require you to be a student though.. internet radio is mainly what i listen too. i'm also proud to say i haven't watched broadcast or cable tv in at least a year now.

• Members

How come you are totally ignoring 90% of current music in favor of selecting and criticizing a {censored}ty pop music scene?

Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Sunset Rubdown, Wilco, Fleet Foxes, Animal Collective, etc. are all groundbreaking musical acts with huge, important releases in the last decade. "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot", "Merriweather Post Pavilion", "Random Spirit Lover", and more will become required listening years down the road. Frankly, I think this decade has been better than the previous two musically, and in terms of talent and invention potentially up there with the 60s.

sorry- it's not that you have bad taste- but just a bad sense of what is RELEVANT and VITAL in music

all of this stuff is SOOO contrived and ready-for-market- how can you compare this to the Joy Divisions and the Kraftwerks and the Human Leagues of a few decades ago?

and WHERE is the underground? where are the bands that sound like no one else ever and have begun their own new genres like Throbbing Gristle or Skinny Puppy or Sonic Youth did? and where was all the pop-culture/political commentary during the Bush Administration? where were all the top of the charts artists pushing the edge like Modonna having sex with a black guy in a church with burning crosses and other bands getting banned for obscenity or protested by church groups and senators?- it seems like Marilyn Manson was the last pop music to {censored} WITH SOCIETY- but even he was derivative yet that was 15 years ago!

• Members

sorry- it's not that you have bad taste- but just a bad sense of what is RELEVANT and VITAL in music

all of this stuff is SOOO contrived and ready-for-market- how can you compare this to the Joy Divisions and the Kraftwerks and the Human Leagues of a few decades ago?

and WHERE is the underground? where are the bands that sound like no one else ever and have begun there own new genres like Throbbing Gristle or Skinny Puppy or Sonic Youth did? and where was all the pop-culture/political commentary during the Bush Administration? where were all the Modonnas having sex with black men in churches with burning crosses and bands getting banned for obscenity or protested by church groups and senators?- it seems like Marilyn Manson was the last pop music to {censored} WITH SOCIETY- but even he was derivative yet that was 15 years ago!

Heard the same thing 10 years ago, and 20 years ago, and 30 years ago. Every decade or so there's someone saying how bad the music of the day is compared to what it used to be. Talk about contrived...where's the originality in criticizing? Hey, I'm guilty of it just like the next guy.

Seriously...in 10 years or so there will be people complaining about how the music sucks and how great the music of the 2000's was. :rolleyes:

• Members

Heard the same thing 10 years ago, and 20 years ago, and 30 years ago. Every decade or so there's someone saying how bad the music of the day is compared to what it used to be. Talk about contrived...where's the originality in criticizing? Hey, I'm guilty of it just like the next guy.

Seriously...in 10 years or so there will be people complaining about how the music sucks and how great the music of the 2000's was.

That's because nothing can replace the, shall we say, "spunk" :D of being 13-17 years old, no matter how irresistible the groove or how powerful the lyrics.

If everything from today sucks, you are old now. Popular music will always be young. Underground music will always be stolen from. And pompous self-indulgent works from pretentious has-beens or wannabes will always be for those who have expensive audio systems and feel uncomfortable following or leading the crowd.

• Members

Seriously...in 10 years or so there will be people complaining about how the music sucks and how great the music of the 2000's was.
:rolleyes:

I have already said I am not talking about the pattern of criticism you are talking about- I am looking at the whole history of modern music since the beginning of rock 'n' roll and radio/recording-

every decade had it's instigators and new genres that challenged and created scenes- every decade except THIS one! name a true new genre that is less than 15 years old- name a band or artist that has caused socio-political controversy with their WORK not their lifestyle in that time-

sure people used to say that the Human League was no Kraftwerk- or that no one in the 70s 80s matched the Beatles or the Doors or Hendrix- but at least there were artists to debate ABOUT! and whether you liked the new genres and bands or not they were IMPORTANT- today there are no artists that are even TRYING to create a new sound or message that competes- there has always been a debate about which underground scene from which era was better - but now there IS no underground AT ALL to even compare! that is the difference-

• Members

I have already said I am not talking about the pattern of criticism you are talking about- I am looking at the whole history of modern music since the beginning of rock 'n' roll and radio/recording-

every decade had it's instigators and new genres that challenged and created scenes- every decade except THIS one! name a true new genre that is less than 15 years old- name a band or artist that has caused socio-political controversy with their WORK not their lifestyle in that time-

sure people used to say that the Human League was no Kraftwerk- or that no one in the 70s 80s matched the Beatles or the Doors or Hendrix- but at least there were artists to debate ABOUT! and whether you liked the new genres and bands or not they were IMPORTANT- today there are no artists that are even TRYING to create a new sound or message that competes- there has always been a debate about which underground scene from which era was better - but now there IS no underground AT ALL to even compare! that is the difference-

You really haven't listened to Animal Collective have you?

• Members

It's a turn-around jump shot

It's everybody jump start

It's, every generation throws a hero up the pop charts,

Medicine is magical and magical is art think of

The Boy in the Bubble

And the baby with the baboon heart

Paul Simon

• Members

I only weep because two chords are considered enough for one song now. I'm looking at you there, Kings of Leon with your "Sex on Fire".

Overplaying to the point of puking is what ruins it for me. That's not new, just more noticeable to me now.

• Members

You really haven't listened to Animal Collective have you?

yes I have- it is fine- but it is quite slick and produced- there are some quality songs but there certainly isn't anything that disturbs the status quo or would make grandmothers afraid- if you are going to try and site music from today that has something of that kind of edge you should at least think of something like Martial Canterel- but that is only because he digs deep into the retro vibe:

[YOUTUBE]28u7kWCuF24[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Arguing about personal preferences in music is only useful in finding out how close minded others are.

We each have an opinion and we each have personal tastes.

Each of these belong to us and they cannot be taken away or overwhelmed or overpowered by the preferences of others.

Personally, I cannot listen to Rap or Hip Hop - in fact, they make me nauseous - but, if someone else resonates with these recordings and they love them, then all the power to them and I say "Party On!"

It's like oysters - you go ahead and slurp those things off the shell and I'll order the burger.

We each resonate with so many different things and - thank the Universe! - this is what keeps things interesting.

What a boring planet this would be if we didn't have the choices for our ears that we do have.

I toast to all the new choices we may have in our future.

Cheers!

Archived